A Guardian's Fate (Book #2)

By heytheregisela

(BOOK #2 in the Secrets of Aristol series.) It's almost been three months since Elouise's birthday. Although... More

A GUARDIAN'S FATE
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
A Savior's Worth

Chapter Four

2.3K 217 37
By heytheregisela

Right after sundown, Elouise teleported herself to her mother's study, clutching Beatrice's diary. She sat in the chair behind the desk and curled up, thankful she had changed into her nightgown prior to coming here. Then she rested her chin on her knees and flipped open the diary, determined to finish another read through, hoping to find that missing aspect.

Elouise pursed her lips as she reached the first passage that had been torn out. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary about that one. It was mostly toward the end of the first diary where the passages began feeling... off. She didn't know how to explain it, though. She didn't truly know what exactly felt off, either.

The doors opened, and Elouise didn't have to look to know it was Fayre. Fayre was the real reason Elouise had come here tonight. They were continuing a routine they had started a month after the ball.

"Light," Fayre commanded as she shut the doors behind her.

Elouise noted a dirty old sack Fayre was clutching, but she opted against questioning it and shut the diary instead. She then set it down on the desk and jumped to her feet. 

This training required concentration and patience. She could think of nothing else except the task given to her. Thus, Elouise opened her hand, palm facing up, and revealed the golden magic. The dark study illuminated around them.

After learning about the letter from Tatianna, Fayre began helping Elouise practice her magic so that this "destiny" wouldn't prove to be a challenge.

"When the time comes, you will not be afraid to confront anything," Fayre had told her. "You will be ready no matter what comes at you."

Although these practices mainly focused on her light magic and seeing how fast she could teleport from one part of the castle to the other while retrieving a few things, Elouise felt more confident with Fayre's help. They'd attempted fire magic from time to time, but using it brought memories of that reoccurring nightmare she used to have. To avoid it altogether, Elouise sometimes ended practice early, lying that she was getting sleepy or gaining a headache. Fayre evidently knew that wasn't true, yet she never questioned Elouise about it.

However, last time they were here, Elouise heard Fayre mumble to herself that they wouldn't be avoiding fire next time.

A swarm of nerves filled Elouise's chest at the nearing possibility. Fayre had a point, though. Elouise needed to learn how to control the fire as easily as she could control her light. Even so, understanding the necessity didn't make this situation feel any less menacing.

Fayre set the sack down and reached inside. She pulled out a plank of wood and held it out to her right. Elouise smirked, concentrating on the object as she raised her hand again and struck the wood with a ball of light that fused through, creating a perfect circle in the center.

"Very good." Fayre put the wood down. They continued this activity with a few other pointless objects, testing the strength of Elouise's magic and how much damage it could truly do.

After Fayre ran out of things, the dreadful and inevitable moment arrived.

Any happiness Elouise had built up faded within seconds of Fayre reaching into her sack again and bringing out a candle. She gulped, knowing she couldn't run away or make an excuse.

"Light the candle, Elouise," Fayre instructed.

Elouise took a few deep breaths, steadying herself. The burning town flashed through her mind, and she shivered.

Nothing to fear. She narrowed her eyes at the candle's wick. You are in control of this. If you want the candle to ignite, make it so.

It felt like a futile effort that she didn't want to bother with. And as she was about to quit concentrating, a flame flickered to life. She gasped and stepped back like she hadn't been the one to cause it.

"Make it stronger," Fayre encouraged. There was not even an ounce of shock in her voice or on her features. If anything, she looked proud. "Go on. Before it goes out."

Elouise swallowed hard and pressed her eyebrows together. Then the tiny spark rose, strengthening itself into a proper flame that could last hours. Elouise couldn't contain herself from gasping again—much more excitedly this time. She did a small hop as well and felt heat rise to her cheeks from such a childish display.

Fayre hushed her, reminding her of the many guards that made their rounds in this very corridor. Elouise stopped and apologized, though the wide grin remained on her face.

"I can't believe it," she whispered, then giggled. "I did that on my own!"

Fayre returned her smile and nodded. "It wasn't difficult or scary, was it?"

"Not at all!"

Fayre placed the candle on the desk. Then she folded her hands in front of her and squinted her eyes as she stared ahead into the darkness. Elouise didn't want to be unnerved by such a look, but she knew it all too well. Fayre was coming up with another idea.

"I want you to attempt to put it out now," she finally spoke.

Elouise blinked and tilted her head.

Fayre unclasped her hands and pointed back at the candle with her thumb. "If you can start a fire, you may be able to stop one."

Elouise wanted to doubt that, but she remembered Queen Anita was said to have been able to play with fire without causing harm to herself. So she stepped around Fayre and picked up the candle. Despite being unsure how she was supposed to complete the task, she instinctively clutched the candle in her right hand and raised her left.

I created you. Now I would like for you to disappear. Elouise slowly lowered her hand, curling her fingers in, and she tensed as the flame danced and weakened.

"You are actually doing it," Fayre commented, bumping shoulders with her to get a closer look. "How are you doing it?"

Elouise shook her head. "I have no idea." She raised her hand higher for a second attempt, but then she parted her lips and widened her eyes when the flame was revived by the motion.

Fayre stared at her, open-mouthed as well.

"I am beginning to believe this is what the tales meant," Elouise began, turning her body toward Fayre, "when they referred to Anita playing with fire."

Fayre breathlessly laughed as she nodded. "Yes, I believe you are right."

---

The next morning, Elouise found herself sitting in her father's chair once again. He hadn't been present in the great hall earlier, and when she asked to see him, Dr. Rolfe refused. However, he did inform her that her father's illness was currently undetermined, so it could be contagious. Until further notice and for her safety, Elouise couldn't see him or go anywhere near his bedchamber.

Her fingers twitched nervously on the table, gaining the attention of the nobles sitting closest to her. She noticed this and steadied her hands by folding them together in a more presentable manner.

She then glanced around at everyone and cleared her throat. "Let us begin."

"Yes, Your Highness," Duke Estria spoke up, nodding once. "We have quite a few grave matters to discuss, and we apologize for putting you in this position again."

"There is no need to apologize. These matters pertain to me just as much as they pertain to my father."

"Of course, Your Highness. I shall begin with the smallest issue. There has been a large request by the townspeople to open The People's Word again." Ah yes, the time of the week when the people would come to share their grievances and concerns with their king or queen. It had been closed ever since Tatianna's death. She had actually been the one to formally deem the hour The People's Word.

During his year of grieving, her father had neglected to keep up with their people's requests. So he ultimately decided to end The People's Word. Of course, any matters concerning crimes were still handled by the king during meetings, but any lesser issues were dismissed or handled by the knights.

"Yes, well I believe it should have never been closed to the public," Elouise told him. She knew some people came to the castle crying to their king or queen about ridiculous situations, but she remembered being present at her mother's side during one of these moments. A man had arrived sobbing about his lost cat, and her mother immediately sent out a few guards to search for the orange feline. They were reunited before sunset.

"Your father sees it as a waste of time," a noble by the name of Jenkins added.

Yes. Elouise also remembered her father asking her mother why she wasted time aiding that man in finding his cat. Her mother's response had been perfect. Elouise could still hear her voice speaking those words in her head.

"We should never judge anyone's request, my love," her mother had said to him. "It may seem to us that it is merely a cat, and he could easily get another one. Yet we do not know his full story and his bond with this particular cat. What if that cat had been his only source of happiness? Who knows what would have happened if I had ignored his request? No request is ever too small or a waste of time. Everyone deserves to be heard."

Elouise shakily inhaled and nodded once. "But you are asking me, Lord Jenkins. If my people wish to come to the castle and ask their leader for assistance, then they shall. They must be reminded that we are here for them, and not only when violence has struck." She hoped she sounded as confident as her mother always did. Somehow, she didn't believe she did—or that she ever could. At least she hadn't stuttered.

"And when exactly are officially opening court to the public again?" asked Lord Browne. "I must warn you, Your Highness, that you may want to reconsider once we inform you of our next predicament."

Elouise shifted uncomfortably in the chair. It suddenly felt too big. Her feet didn't touch the floor. "What would that be?"

Lord Browne looked to Lord Jenkins. Jenkins gave him the signal to continue.

Browne sighed, averting his eyes like it pained him to look at her as he spoke. "Aristol has fallen into debt."

Elouise froze. "Y-you must be, be wrong." Ah, there were the stutters. Completely unlike Queen Tatianna.

"I am afraid not, Your Highness," Browne intervened, down casting his eyes and deepening his frown. "To prevent retaliation from the families of the guards and knights who lost their lives, the king paid them off after the attack. He also ordered stronger weaponry from Arendice. As you know, the small kingdom is known for their powerful arsenal, and considering the constant riots that have been occurring there, they were more than happy to overcharge your father. Everything resulted in a total of sixty thousand gold coins to help repair their homes.

"They agreed he could give them gold in payments for the next year. The next payment of five thousand coins is due in twenty-three days. If we do not have the gold ready by then, they may retaliate against us or charge interest."

"How did my father not see we were running low on gold before accepting?" Elouise asked him.

The council members exchanged nervous glances with one another. None were brave enough to speak their minds, though. Not even Berney, who appeared far more interested in the view outside.

Elouise huffed and chose one at random. "Lady Grace, would you care to explain?"

Lady Grace lowered her shoulders. "Well, Your Highness, we did warn him. But your father said that if we do run low on gold, we could always remedy the situation by..." She sneaked a glance at Browne, who pointedly ignored her.

She continued, defeated. "By raising the taxes on the people throughout Aristol, especially here in Starset."

Elouise shook her head. Raising taxes was one of the reasons for the outrage in Arendice. They couldn't make that same mistake.

"That would be unfair," she answered.

"His Majesty also suggested asking his home kingdom for a loan," said Browne, "but Titanas Unitum has been struggling with finances as well. Even if they wanted to help one of their own, they simply cannot afford to."

"Well, Penuriam doesn't pay that many taxes," Jenkins reminded everyone. "At least not compared to the other regions."

Elouise glared at him. "I am not charging them any more than we already do. Even that amount has proven to be a lot for them."

"If they were wise, they would build a business with what they have," Duke Sinstiel said. "My region earns a hefty amount of their gold with the armor, blades, and bows they craft. And then selling those to the other regions and neighboring kingdoms. Estria creates luxurious jewelry with the gems from the mines, and they make the finest silk in all the land. We also cannot forget the fishermen—"

"That is enough," Elouise interrupted. "I understand the point you are making."

Nonetheless, Duke Sinistiel went on. "Even here, in Starset, there are businesses in the towns, and most of us nobles are responsible for growing your food in our lands."

"Oh, do you not mean my lands?"

His expression hardened. Then he cleared his throat and sat up straighter. "Your Highness," he started again, his tone sharper than before, "I am aware that some of the people from Penuriam do come here to sell their crops. However, they hardly want to cooperate with us to help them make more of a profit. They refuse to pay the taxes that comes with that."

Everyone else nodded.

Elouise glowered at any who dared make eye contact with her. She recalled a lesson she had with Master Audric when she was nine. He explained all of this to her—the regions and the roles they played. He'd also told her that the true reason for Penuriam being in such dire poverty was due to an incident that'd occurred in the year of 1367. The residents of Penuriam back then were involved in a scandal where they had scammed people from the other regions.

When Queen Dianne was informed of this, she forced Penuriam to repay every ounce of gold they had taken. Since then, everyone refused to do any sort of business with them. Elouise was certain no one beyond the council knew about that, though. Everyone simply decided it was the norm for Penuriam to live in misery.

Elouise shook her head. "You all know very well that no one would give them a chance to play their part if they tried joining forces."

Lord Berney snorted. Elouise wrinkled her nose and side-eyed him.

"Oh, was there something you needed to say to me, Lord Berney?"

"I don't mean to make assumptions, Your Highness," he began, "but do you not think your defensiveness for Penuriam is over a personal reason?"

Elouise's cheeks warmed as she heard murmurs. But she wasn't going to be made a fool because of Lord Berney.

She gritted her teeth. "Or perhaps I merely care for the well-being of everyone in this kingdom whether they pay us or not."

Berney opened his mouth to speak again. Except she held up her hand.

"No," she told him, "you'd do best not to say another word during this meeting. I do not care about your opinions."

Berney clamped his lips together and looked down at the table in shame. Good.

Elouise looked to Browne next. "Is there a third option?"

Browne nodded and opened his leather folder to reveal his notes. He pushed his small spectacles up the bridge of his nose with his index finger and hummed. "This is one we've discussed among each other. We understand how generous the royal family is when it comes to paying their workers, especially with the servants and maids, but we suggest cutting back on their pay."

Elouise felt her stomach twist. Her displeasure for the suggestion must have been blatant on her face, because Browne quickly added, "It will only be until we can find a better solution!"

"They have families to take care of," Elouise informed, her voice weaker than she expected it to be.

The whole system of having servants for the royal family was that they would be taken care of for their services. They would not be taxed, and they would be paid generously. That was how it had been since Queen Izabella reigned three centuries prior.

"We feel it is the safest option," Grace added. "If we raise taxes on the regions and open court to everyone again—which I know you are in favor of—they will come to riot. Most will not be afraid to take their anger out on you and your father, and they will have to be punished for it. But if we simply lower the pay on the servants, well, they will learn to adjust since it is only temporary. They are not allowed to leave their work unless granted permission, which you have the power to deny. However, if you do grant them permission to leave, that is one less person to worry about paying, anyway."

But that is so cruel. Elouise shifted in her seat. "May I have time to think this over?"

"We are in debt, Your Highness," Berney spoke up despite his silencing. "We have no time to think about it anymore. You must repay Arendice and ensure you will still have leftover to pay off the rest of Aristol's expenses. With almost five thousand gone every month for a year, that will leave us very low. We will not have any leftover in case we want to make other necessary purchases."

Elouise deflated. Whether she liked it or not, they needed to settle on something now—and no matter what, it was going to affect some more than others.

"I believe there may be another option," Lady Janeth—who was known for being quiet during these meetings—mentioned.

Elouise widened her eyes. "Do tell."

"As you know, St. Winston is one of the wealthiest kingdoms—"

"Oh, I couldn't possibly ask King Winston for a loan!"

"No, no, Your Highness! I was merely suggesting that you reconsider his brother, Prince Avery."

Elouise gaped at her. Lady Janeth squirmed uncomfortably, yet she was encouraged to continue by Berney and Grace.

Janeth inhaled sharply. "We understand your father told you that you did not need to choose between your suitors and that you could wait, but a marriage alliance with St. Winston could pull us right out of this debt. You may also recall how King Winston was the only one who wasn't angered by this news on your birthday. Therefore, he may happily agree to another chance. Since they use silver as their currency, the transfer would mean less, but it would still give us enough to pay off this debt to Arendice in a mere month or two."

"She might as well just marry Prince Maximus, then," another mumbled. "Then the debt will go away completely if he is her husband. It can be his kingdom's wedding gift!"

"None of us—except His Majesty—have ever been in favor of the princess marrying Prince Maximus," Grace spoke again. "We do not need Aristol so closely involved with such a violent place." She then turned her attention to Janeth and smiled. "You are a genius, Lady Janeth!"

Elouise glanced down at her own hands. After getting rid of the princes, Elouise celebrated with Fayre over a grand meal and the best wine Aristol had to offer—from Berney's estate. She swore she would never have to see those men ever again. Except for Henry, of course.

And anyway, Avery was involved with her cousin now. She'd last heard from Gidget that Alaina had recently returned from St. Winston. Tearing the couple apart would make for a horrible marriage. Neither Avery nor Alaina would ever forgive her. Was Duke Estria not aware of this?

Elouise glanced at him. He wore a blank expression and kept tapping his fingers on the tables. And she knew he was aware of this. He simply did not care. Although he loved Alaina more than anything, he was willing to sacrifice her happiness for the sake of his kingdom. He'd probably even say his daughter could easily find another partner, and that Avery hadn't been worthy of her, anyway.

"Isn't there anyone else I could marry?" Elouise hopelessly questioned, looking up at them. "If that truly is the only option, which I do doubt."

Jenkins scratched his head and sighed. "Well, Your Highness, we could always ask the recently crowned King Victor to assist. Caelum is our strongest ally, after all." A few murmured in agreement.

Elouise gulped. She would almost rather deal with Avery and Alaina hating her than getting in contact with Victor. "V-very well. I will write a letter to... King Victor—" that would be needing some getting used to "—and ask him. Are there anymore matters that must be discussed today?"

"No, Your Highness," Browne answered, flashing her a weary smile.

"I shall take my leave." Elouise stood. Then she remembered something else. "Do inform everyone that The People's Word will officially be opened to them by the end of the month." With that, she rushed from the room and clutched her now heavy chest.

Halfway down the corridor, she slowed to a stop and leaned against the white and burgundy wall. Fayre found her a moment later. She gently grabbed Elouise by the shoulder and willed her to turn. Elouise followed.

"I was just informed that you had to fill in for your father again," Fayre said, frowning. "How did it go this time?"

"Miserable," Elouise confessed. "They told me Aristol has a great debt to Arendice, Fayre."

"What?"

"I know. I was stunned as well. It seems my father has a careless spending habit."

Fayre groaned. "What exactly did he do?"

"Paid off the families of the soldiers who were killed the night of the attack. He wanted to ensure they kept quiet and didn't retaliate against him. Then he decided to supply Aristol with stronger weaponry from Arendice. Of course, Arendice took advantage of his need and overcharged. He now owes them five thousand gold coins every month for the next year."

"Ah, at least he had some good intentions," Fayre reasoned, though she rolled her eyes. "But they blew up in his face."

"And his solution was to raise taxes," Elouise added, just as irritated. "That was what the meeting was about. They wanted to know which route to take to pull us out of this debt."

"What did you decide?" Despite her calm tone, Fayre started tapping her foot.

Elouise dropped her attention to the floor. "The only solution they could come up with that didn't involve betraying my people was... marriage."

"You must be jesting."

"I am not! They wanted to push me into marrying Avery because St. Winston is full of wealth."

"You truly agreed to this?"

"Not at all. I don't want to settle for marriage as a solution. I am a woman, and I do not need a man at my side to financially rescue me."

Fayre glanced over her shoulder, making sure no one was eavesdropping. She then looked back at Elouise and asked, "Then what do you purpose to do?"

"They suggested asking Caelum for assistance. I will be writing to their king, but it is not what I want to do either. Unfortunately, I couldn't leave without agreeing to something. Rest assured, I will figure out something else."

"Perhaps I can offer some good news?" Fayre suggested, the corners of her lips rising. "I have been pondering our issues with Beatrice's diaries lately. And then I realized I actually know someone who was around during her time."

Elouise held her breath. Then she noticed how Fayre's eyes darted once to something behind her. Elouise glanced over her shoulder and saw Lord Berney walking out of the meeting room with Lady Grace. She glared at the man before facing Fayre again, silently questioning her.

"His great grandmother," Fayre explained.

"His great grandmother?" Elouise laughed lightly. "Wouldn't she have been a mere child?"

"She was a child living here at the castle during Beatrice's final years. I know this may not help at all, but I believe it is still worth speaking to her anyway."

"I suppose it is better than nothing."

"Indeed. I will set up a meeting with her sometime this week." Fayre gently turned Elouise around and they walked down corridor, side-by-side. "In the meantime, how do you feel about a stroll through the gardens?"

For the first time that day, Elouise grinned and meant it. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11K 908 80
Book 1 of 2 Aislinn Jones has had a unique problem for as long as she can remember: her dreams. They are vivid and haunting, and plague her whenever...
12.1K 753 39
The sequel to Dream "Wait a minute" I put up a hand. "Don't I get a say in what magic I want to use?" He smiles an evil grin that sends a shiver up m...
62.1K 3.7K 32
I am a ghost. A killer. A savior. A guardian. I am the vampyre prince. They think I was murdered by my uncle, the king - but I've been waiting, plot...
215K 17.5K 51
One comes from royalty, and one comes from poverty. Yet the same shadows follow them everywhere, leading them right to each other and their destiny. ...