Game of Survival-Shadowhunters

By ladyoliviarb

Echo Lightwood, now a Demon, has changed far more than just her appearances. Her transformation is just the... More

Aldertree
Betrayed
Dead or Alive
Shot
'Til Death do us Part
Start of Lies
Uncomfortable
Parabati
Whisper
Apparition
Pompous Jackass
Life for a Life
At Peace
Chivalry isn't dead
Possession
Overwhelming
Bow for a Blade
Replica and Fraction
Place on Thirty-Third
Tangible Foreshadow
Little Stunt
Isnis Aurum Probat
Instinct
Down for a Party
Mother-in-Law
Twin Talk
Demon vs. Angel
Broken Glass
Unexpected Company
Addiction
Valentine, What a Dick
Complicated Relationship
Soul-Sword in Hand
Cat got your Tongue?
Prisoner
Prince of Hell
Sebastian Verlac
Pain in my Ass?
Saved by the Telepath
Thoughts don't lie
Fancy Seeing You Here
Demonic agility
New York Stroll
Violated
Twins
Book Club
Little Bundle
Three days
My Princess
Welcome to the Family
Goodnight, Echo
Lightwood Mansion
I'm Nervous Too
Quick Whisper
Mental Truth
Connected
Recall
Sister
Game of Survival
Characters
Season 3 Update

Crawl

2.7K 73 2
By ladyoliviarb

Echo sat on the couch in the office of the Institute with a hand on her stomach. The rune hadn't faded from her skin and she was still emotionless as she listened to what her family had to say. Isabelle sat on a chair and shook her head.

"Saving me from Azazel...I must have all been part of Jonathan's plan. I was the one to bring him into the Institute."

Alec placed a hand on Isabelle's shoulder, "Don't. We're all responsible for this."

Clary had her head down, "At least now we know Valentine can never get the mirror and raise the Angel."

Jace had a pinch in his forehead as she shook his head, "I'm not so sure."

Echo slowly looked up at Jace as he stuttered, "Look, even with our pure angel blood, doesn't it seem strange that Clary's runes would be powerful enough to destroy a Moral Instrument? And why didn't it destroy the sword?"

If Echo had her emotions, she would have cringed at the mention of Clary's runes. She still hated that Clary was superior to her.

Clary stood up with realization on her expression, "What if the mirror I destroyed isn't the Mortal Mirror?"

"Then why would your mom give it to the warlocks to protect?"

Clary shook her head, "Maybe she thought it was. We all did. Maybe whoever made it wanted it that way."

Echo didn't hear what Isabelle or Jace had said, she was more focused on what Clary was thinking.

Echo flicked her head back to the center as Clary spoke, "The water. It's a reflection."

Jace was confused, "What water? What are you talking about?"

Clary shook her head, "I didn't destroy the mirror. These visions I've been having, they're a message from the Angel."

There was a lapse in speech and Echo was tired of all of the theatrics.

"The Mirror is Lake Lyn."

Every person looked over to Echo but nobody said a word. It was clear that Echo was still able to use her abilities even with her new rune.

***

A day and a half later, Echo sat next to the holographic table with Alec and Isabelle, Echo's stomach hand grown a considerable amount in just a day she suddenly realized that she would need new clothing. Something not as tight. Alec pulled up a hologram of the city as Jace and Clary came up behind them.

Isabelle caught sight of them, "Anything new?"

Clary shook her head, "We tried tracking him together like we did with Jonathan, but for some reason, it didn't work."

Jace looked up at the team, "Magnus's wards are up, Valentine must still be in the city."

Isabelle let out a sigh, "Thank the Angel for Magnus and the warlocks.

Alec swallowed, "They didn't raise the wards for us."

Isabelle rolled her eyes, "Teams are out doing block by block sweeps throughout the city. We'll find him."

Echo twisted in her chair and Jace and Clary started to whisper. She kept her ears on them, but her eyes on the table. Echo heard Clary say an emotionally thick word. Dead.

Echo pushed herself off of the chair and rounded behind Isabelle and Alec, "Jonathan isn't dead." Her words were quiet, but the four of them heard her.

Alec looked down at her, "What?"

Echo didn't answer as she felt a cold shiver crawl down her spine, a second later the alarms sounded and the Institute turned red.

Echo looked up, "There's a demon on the loose." Echo's words were slow and a bit deranged.

Echo stayed where she was but the rest of the team went to another screen as Isabelle informed them what she saw, "Could be some kind of wraith demon."

Alec rounded the table and pointed to Echo, "Stay here."

Echo rolled her eyes, "Not like I can do much."

Alec bit his tongue as he rushed out of the Institute. Echo let out a sigh and glanced down at the rune on the back of her hand.

***

The map on the screen in the Institute had red dots scattering the city. Every few seconds a new dot would appear and Echo would feel another shiver creep up her spine. Isabelle shook her head and went up to Alec and Echo.

"There's over fifty of them now, with numbers increasing."

Alec let out a sigh, "And they haven't attacked once. What are they doing?"

Echo kept her head down but answered quickly, "They are waiting for orders."

Alec furrowed his brows, "What?"

Echo shrugged, "I can feel them. Every time a new one pops up I get a cold shiver down my spine."

Isabelle leaned forward, "Can you hear them?"

Echo swallowed, "These ones are different. They don't have intelligent minds. Only controllable ones. Whatever Valentine is doing, he is keeping them on stand by."

Alec looked to his sister, "What do we do?"

Isabelle shook her head, "I don't know. But demons don't usually come into our realm to sight-see. We need to find the rift where they're coming from and seal it."

Alec didn't miss a beat, "We'll need a warlock for that."

Isabelle's eyebrows rose, "Not just any Warlock, The most powerful one in New York."

Alec shook his head, "Magnus is not interested in helping the Shadowhunters. He said so himself."

Isabelle nearly rolled her eyes, "He still also thinks the Seelie Queen is on their side. He needs to know about the deal she made with Valentine."

"Well, not from me. He doesn't want anything to do with me."

Echo held up her hand, "I'll go."

Alec shook his head, "You are on Institute lock down until we find Valentine."

"And Sebastian." Echo's words were to herself but Alec had heard.

"Jonathan is dead."

Echo swallowed and stood up, "I'm going to talk to Magnus. If you want to come, you can. But I'm leaving now." Echo walked from the table. Echo turned to see Alec's expression and shrugged her shoulders. The teleported out of the Institute and into the hallway of Magnus's apartment.

Echo adjusted her floppy shirt before she knocked on the door. It didn't take long for the Warlock to answer. Echo could clearly see that Magnus was expecting Alec, and when he got Echo, he was surprised.

"Echo. What a pleasant surprise." Magnus toyed with his tone and facial expression to give the illusion that he cared.

"Cut the shit, Magnus."

Magnus was shocked at Echo's language and let his eyes widen, "What's got you in a mood."

Echo simply held up her right hand and Magnus let out a sigh, "Ah, haven't seen that rune carved in quiet some time."

Echo lowered her arm, "Look, in the moments that I have been here I know you know about the Queen's deal with Valentine."

Magnus let out a breath, "I underestimated you, my dear."

"I came to tell you that Isabelle located the rift that the demons are coming from, and I am here to ask very nicely for you to close it because you are the Oh so powerful warlock."

Magnus clearly locked onto the sarcasm but didn't take it personally, "I admire your taste in words. My dear Echo."

Echo rolled her eyes and pulled in a breath, "I'm trying my best Magnus. Would you please seal the rift?"

Magnus let out a smile, "I still very much care for you Echo. In fact, you are my favourite right now."

Echo furrowed her brows, "I am?"

Magnus pushed his front door all the way open as he slowly walked into his apartment. Echo stepped into the lair and slowly closed the door. Echo could practically see the elephant in the room.

"Do I even want to know what happened between you and Alec? Because if it was about me, you are covering it very well."

Magnus waved his fingers, "Not about you, dear. In fact, it was my decision."

Echo held up her hand, "I don't want to know. Are you ready?"

Magnus adjusted the vintage coat onto his shoulders before walking up and taking Echo's hand.

The Warlock looked down at the rune before looking into Echo's red eyes, "I can see it has yet to vanish."

Echo shrugged, "I don't know why."

Magnus covered her hand with both of his, "I can rid of it if you like."

Echo's body suddenly became stiff as she looked up at Magnus, "What?"

Magnus gave a small smile, "I can get rid of the rune if you would like."

Echo felt her stomach sink and she let out the breath she was holding. She grit her teeth as she had a mental battle with herself.

"I can see the contemplation on your expression. If you would like some time to think about it—"

"Yes." Echo nodded her head, "Please."

Magnus could see that the rune had taken a deep hold of Echo but she was trying to fight it. Magnus didn't say a word as he gripped Echo's hand in a tight grasp. He lowered his head and closed his eyes and he chanted a soft spell.

From beneath Magnus's hands, Echo could feel the rune warm. As the rune got warmer, she could start to feel her emotions return to her. She pulled in a breath at the overwhelming sensation. The warmth on her hand faded and Magnus looked up to see Echo's expression turn into slight shock.

"Now, my dear, we have a mission."

Echo let out a long breath to regulate her emotions before she nodded, "Thank you."

She and Magnus vanished through the air as they transported to the Institute. They both landed elegantly inside the walls of Operations with Alec and Isabelle standing by. Isabelle quickly started to inform Magnus of vital details without wasting a breath.

"I just spoke with Imogen. Despite her requests, there have been no troop movements in and out of Alicante since. When she went to Malachi to see what the holdup was, she was told he'd left suddenly."

Magnus kept his head high as he followed Isabelle and Alec with Echo by his side, "So she believes Consul Malachi is actually a spy for Valentine?"

Isabelle gave a sigh, "There is no other explanation."

The team stopped at the table as Alec spoke, "Jace and Clary are in Lake Lyn with Valentine, who knows how many circle members and no military support."

Isabelle looked up to her brother, "We need to go help them."

Alec pulled in a breath before he shook his head, "I can't leave when the city is under assault."

Isabelle looked over to Magnus with down turned eyes. Magnus glanced down at Echo before he let out a breath, "What have you got?"

Isabelle gave a nod before pulling up a hologram, "We've identified the demons as a rare sub-species of Edomei."

"Edomei?"

Alec looked up at Magnus, "You're familiar with them?"

"There from Edom. Tenacious little devils."

Echo sucked in a breath, "Edom?"

Alec noticed more emotion in the word and looked over at her, "Ec?"

Echo shook her head, "Sebastian had the word stuck in his mind. I think he was held there."

Magnus placed a soft hand on Echo's shoulder before he spoke, "Edomei are remarkable intelligent. Capable of creating carnage in any number of ways."

Alec had his head down, "Yet they haven't attacked once. What are they waiting for?"

Magnus lifted his head, "They work in hordes. Perhaps they're increasing their numbers to reach a critical mass."

"Or," Echo leaned in, "They are waiting for commands, like I said."

Isabelle shook her head, "Whatever the reason, we need to get the rift closed as soon as possible." Isabelle manipulated the table, "Their entry-point appears to be here, near Croton Point."

Alec looked over at Magnus, "How long will this take?" Alec's voice was harsh. "Jace and Clary are alone in enemy territory."

Magnus let his eyes widen, "Not long."

"We need to move."

Echo saw the three of them start to prepare, "Wait. I'm coming with you."

Alec went up to Echo, "Stay here. We'll be back soon."

"Alec." Echo's voice was hard.

Alec noticed the tone and hesitated, "Look, I know you're mad at me but we can talk about this later."

Echo let out a huff before she held up a hand. "Fine go. I'll be here."

Alec quickly caught up with Isabelle and Magnus and Echo was forced to stay in the Institute. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 287 12
Magnus and Alec are broken up both of them suffering more than the other realizes. What happens if they get back together? What happens when a greate...
41.1K 791 16
___________________________ "Why are you here?" ". . . I don't know." ___________________________ [IN THE EDITING PROCESS] Echo Lightwood is a girl w...
824K 19.2K 55
"I expect you and Mr. Lightwood are going to help build a new era of shadowhunters." Aurora Morrison had never once thought about getting married. Bu...