Dangerous Attachment

By inspiredrlh

(Book 1 of 3 in the Weakness Series) All Kira Collins wanted was for her senior year to run as smoothly as po... More

preliminaries
Playlist + comments
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
12| table dancing
13| apologies
14| mutual dislike
15| know your type
16| wisdom
17|assumptions
18| work colleagues
19|unwanted protection
20| costumes
21|queen of death
22| fools
23|the truth is out
24| baiting the anger
25| nerves
26|scars
27|provoking
28| walk away
29|hypocrite
30|what I want
31| insecurities
32| relationships
33|feuding friends
34| hit or miss
35| deflects and disasters
36| defenses
37| soothing
39| cliche
40|playing nurse
41| like glass
42| sorry
43| wounds
Epilogue

38| tough love

11.2K 359 87
By inspiredrlh

Pain shoots up my back once I collide with the floor again. For a moment I debate whether or not to get up and opt for sitting up with a groan. Standing at my feet is Lachlan who still holds the same pose as if he's ready to take on anything.

"Get up," He coaxes me with both hands and bounces on his feet. "I told you I wasn't going to sook you so up you get."

With gritted teeth I force my aching body up. "You also didn't say that I would be knocked on my ass every five minutes. I'm just waiting for something to break."

His dark eyes are concentrated on me and reluctantly put my guard up. Within an instance he jabs my shoulder, managing to get around my arms. This time when he jabs I deflect the punch and try to give one back. Except he grabs my arm, spinning me around and into his chest.

He puts his arm across my throat and I exhale slowly at the pressure. The close proximity annoys me beyond belief because I can't seem to get away from him. It's either this or laying on the floor, I can't beat him which is expected considering how long he's been fighting.

"Get yourself out of this position."

I scoff. "I can't. You're crushing my windpipe."

"But you can with a few moves that I'm shocked Rhys hasn't taught you. Slam your foot down and drop," I press my foot to his feeling repreeve and drop down. As I go to move away his hand grasps onto my hair gently. "Usually someone would pull you up and if that happens."

I spin around and hold my hand up to his face notice a hint of a smile. "Yeah he taught me this. I just didn't appreciate him nearly strangling me."

Lachlan removes his hand from me and chuckles. "At least he didn't do completely nothing. You've got a good swing but you use too much of your body weight which is how I was able to pull you in every time."

"But Rhys told me-"

"Because he's an idiot and is clueless on how to train a female," He shakes his head and pushes a hand through his sweat ridden hair. "For him - he can get away with it because he's pretty heavy in the muscle department. You - you're delicate and dainty in comparison therefore you need to be fast, unpredictable to actually get away."

"How do you know this?"

My question seems to catch him off guard as he shakes his head. "That isn't important."

"Rhys told me that your father has illegal connections. . ." I trail off in a whisper incase someone who walks past hears me. "Should I be concerned?"

"Your concern for me is sweet."

"Don't deflect. I get enough of that bullshit from Rhys," He raises an eyebrow at the guts of my words. "Is it illegal reasoning that you know how to do this?"

"Well if my father has those contacts. He wouldn't let his family go unprotected to them turning," I swallow and he nods once. "So I guess so but don't worry about it. He isn't involved directly like Rhys' father is, he's a businessman that hasn't necessarily gotten to where is now without them."

"What business is your father in?"

He blinks a few times, eyes flickering with uncertainty. Clearly there is some kind of illegal nature to his fathers doing and considering mine is a lawyer, I don't blame him for being concerned. But then again my boyfriend isn't particularly a law obeying citizen.

"I'm not like Rhys who can just open up with a few words," His tone changes and I try to speak but he continues. "No offense to you but I don't want to tell you and risk anything happening where he's exposed."

"You seem to be forgetting the fact I know nearly everything about Rhys' job. More importantly that I've kept it from my father," His facial expression lightens slightly as I continue. "Besides I didn't ask why, I'm asking what he does for a living by the law."

Lachlan exhales slowly with a nod. "He assists in marketing, profits, advertising and promotion for various businesses. He's a communication type of person, is that enough?"

Although I'm not sure what, there's an underlying meaning to his words. If he's involved in communication stuff I'm assuming that's code for something I don't need or want to know about. That's the connections he has - through his business.

"I didn't think I would ever see you in a GYM," A voice snickers from behind me before I'm flicked with water. I cringe, spinning to face a grinning Jamie. "The phrase 'sweat invested disease centre' comes to mind at the moment."

Her eyes flicker behind me for a moment, the grin slipping momentarily. Glancing over my shoulder I see Lachlan approaching with a small grin. He stops beside me resting his arm on my shoulder.

"Maybe because your methods of persuasion couldn't work?"

Jamie scoffs, daggering him with her eyes. "I don't feel the need to resort to flirting or sex to get others to do something," Her eyes land on me, softening rapidly from the scorn she just gave Lachlan. "So why are you here?"

"He's teaching me how to defend myself," I explain briefly, one eyebrow raises in question while I continue. "Rhys was but he didn't want to accidentally hurt me in the process so he offered to take over."

Jamie turns her attention to Lachlan again who still looks a little insulted over her previous comment. "That was nice of you," His expression seems to perk up in the slightest until the other shoe drops. "Just don't hurt her because I'll hurt you."

"You couldn't hurt me if you tried." He challenges her and she shrugs.

"Maybe not physically," Jamie tilts her head to the side, doing a once over and internally debating with herself. "Actually. I bet I could if I used dirty tactics against you."

"Is that a promise?" His playful demeanor is back as she glances at me. "Because I would love for you to try to take me down, dirty tactics or not."

Jamie clucks her tongue with a fake laugh. "In your dreams playboy," She shakes her head and gives me a tight lipped smile. "Are you doing anything this weekend?"

Reality kicks back in as I remember my dad laying in a hospital bed. You selfish idiot. I shouldn't be here learning to fight or even considering going to a party when he's still hospitalized. Before I can answer Lachlan does.

"Her father's been hospitalized," The way he speaks is gentle, a complete personality switch from his flirtatious or hardass moods from earlier. "Just so you don't take it personal-"

"Why didn't you tell me!" She snaps, regardless of our sweat she pulls me into a death grip. "I swear to god that I will kick your stubborn ass one day for tring to keep me in the dark. What happened?"

When she pulls back I bite the inside of my cheek. "Um. Someone broke into the house and stabbed him. I was upstairs with Rhys who called the police while I helped him not bleed to death. . ."

My heart beat picks up as her eyes widen in shock. Her lips gape like a fish as she tries to find the right words. She knows about my mom and probably knows how traumatic it was for me. Whereas Lachlan would be oblivious.

"Okay so this weekend we're going to a party," I notice the look of disbelief on Lachlan's face. "You can bring Rhys if you want - I suppose Lachlan if you like - but I'm not going to let you wallow in your misery."

"I don't think-"

"No offense to you but I think I know more than you do at the moment," Jamie rolls her eyes while Lachlan still looks gobsmacked that she shut him down so quickly. "It will be fun and I hope you're there, maybe stop stressing yourself out as much by having a distraction."

Nodding I give a tight lipped smile. "Text me the details and I'll consider it."

"Will do," Her eyes flicker to Lachlan who is not so subtly checking her out. "Nothing would make me happier than to put you on your ass right now so you'll stop staring at mine."

I try to intervene. "I don't think you want to-"

"Feel free to try."

He steps back and coax her despite knowing that he's probably going to do the opposite to her. Actually, I know Jamie is capable of throwing a punch because of her father. When she was ten he started teaching her some of the CQC he learnt in the army.

I take her phone, earbuds and water bottle as they walk back to the padded area. It's specified for sparing so they don't have to g into the ring. She bounces on her toes and shrugs her shoulders while Lachlan just looks amused by the whole situation.

"Please don't hurt one ano-ther."

In the time I blink my last word is drawn out by Jamie delivering a jab to his shoulder. He stumbles back with raised eyebrows. "So was it karate you learned? Judo? Tai-kon-do?"

Shrugging her shoulders he shoots out, only for her to deflect and knee him in the stomach. His face reflects irritation as she gives a smug smile, circling as he finally raises his arm in a defensive manor. Oh geez.

"Is someone not feeling so confident anymore?"

Lachlan snorts and shakes his head. "Last chance to walk away with your pride, you got a few jabs in."

I rock back on my heels watching the dance moves of their petty fight. The next time he strikes, she grips his elbow crevice and tries to wrap her leg around his. However, he pulls her close to him and bends the same knee.

She gets tossed to the ground in a less than dignified way. Propping herself on her elbows she glares at him. "Confidence is key sunshine. Here I'll help you up."

When he gets close enough she swipes her feet in a fluid motion so as he goes down, her body rolls back so she's kneeling. He groans, rubbing his head while she pats him on the chest.

"Don't call me sunshine, cupcake."

Hm. I kinda like the combination of Lachlan and Jamie, does anyone else?

Question: the song attached inspired the sequel, any possible theories or thoughts?

Thoughts? Feelings? Predictions?

-inspiredrlh 💕

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.5K 1.1K 31
Enemies to lovers❤️ Imagine if your worst enemy would move in RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HOUSE? This book about Grayson and Isabella will tell you how she ex...
8.1M 259K 58
"Because I should be the only one who looks at you like that," he murmured, his voice dropping low as he steps closer. Miles Carter is notorious arou...
143M 5.2M 88
She's With Me is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon purchase. Amel...
517K 16.7K 54
Fire and Water. That's what they were. Together they were just whispers of what could have happened and what could have been. Running from a tragic p...