Dangerous Attachment

By inspiredrlh

(Book 1 of 3 in the Weakness Series) All Kira Collins wanted was for her senior year to run as smoothly as po... More

preliminaries
Playlist + comments
ONE
TWO
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
12| table dancing
13| apologies
14| mutual dislike
15| know your type
16| wisdom
17|assumptions
18| work colleagues
19|unwanted protection
20| costumes
21|queen of death
22| fools
23|the truth is out
24| baiting the anger
25| nerves
26|scars
27|provoking
28| walk away
29|hypocrite
30|what I want
31| insecurities
32| relationships
33|feuding friends
34| hit or miss
35| deflects and disasters
36| defenses
37| soothing
38| tough love
39| cliche
40|playing nurse
41| like glass
42| sorry
43| wounds
Epilogue

THREE

29.5K 787 441
By inspiredrlh

"Come back here you bastard!"

Her voice is loud and draws the attention of everyone that sits out on the field. A smile tugs on my lips watching the blonde chase down the guy who flung yoghurt her way, similarly to one of a cheetah.

I compare her to a cheetah because of the way she pounces on the junior without a care in the world that people are watching. They tumble in the grass until she pinned him down with a knee to his back and starts yelling at him.

"Don't you think we should help?" I ask, watching Taylor pick at the Caesar salad she bought from the cafeteria.

My gaze falls back on Blair who still sits on him while fuming her irritation out. Taylor looks over her shoulder and shakes her head while chewing on the food in her mouth. Her hand covers her mouth as she speaks.

"Blair can handle herself."

"It's not Blair that I'm worried about," The junior's friends start to rush over realizing their friend's predicament. "Paper, scissors, rock?"

Rolling her eyes she drops her fork into the container holding her hand out. On a silent count of three I go scissors as she does paper. With a curse she reluctantly gets out of her spot on the picnic table, walking quickly towards the middle of the field while picking up Blair's discarded heels.

I look around at the other students that sit outside rather than the cramped cafeteria. The field is the outside area that's been claimed as a junior and senior territory since the library was moved to the other side of the school thanks to a fire. Once it was cleared safe, the woodshop classes started building tables to furnish it.

Overall there's six built shelters and almost eight picnic tables, with trees framing around a designated field. It's a nice and somewhat quiet area in comparison to the raucous inside. Besides anyone who sits out here are the outcast individuals among each year, those that don't fit into a clique.

I continue to separate my skittles into their colour groups, popping all of the yellow ones into my mouth at in one go. The sweet taste forces my cheeks to suck in but allows me to line up the next colour to go in my mouth. I add red to the mix just as someone sits beside me.

"Hey Kira," Nate smiles and I almost choke on the skittles. He rubs my back and I swallow half of the skittles in my mouth. "Sorry. I didn't know you were eating - your cheek looks better from the last time I saw it."

Reaching for my water bottle I wash down the rest of it, inhaling sharply to catch my breath. Nate sits sideways and adjusts the straps of his backpack on his shoulders. He smiles softly while I stare at him wondering what could he possibly want.

I clear my throat although it still sounds like I'm dying. "What do you want?"

"I just wanted to talk to you when you're by yourself considering last time," I nodded slowly, looking back at the scene across from me. "How's your cheek?"

"Well it doesn't hurt anymore. It just looks ugly," I pop a few purple ones in my mouth while tapping my nails on the wooden table. "What about you? Have you got any bruises or anything?"

Nate pulls up his shirt before I could tell him not to. I look at the bruising across his stomach which is a pale shade of purple with green. My cheeks heat up at the exposure of his skin, trying to get over the fact he just flashed me. It's more shock than the fact he's actually got a toned stomach for a fifteen year old.

"Are you blushing?" He teases and my eyes widen at the confidence basically dripping off of him. "I'm flattered, but I have a boyfriend and have for six months. He's a sophomore actually. If I wasn't taken or liked boys more than girls I would seriously consider you."

I stiffle a laugh, shaking my head. "I'm guessing that's what Brian attacked you over, you're bisexual?" I clarify and he nods.

"Yeah, all because my boyfriend held my hand to get me to my first class. He's such a homophobic tool," Nate rolls his eyes. "At the time I didn't know why he reacted the way he did. I'm trusting you with this-"

"You're trusting someone you don't know?" I raise an eyebrow and he nods.

"Well it's not my secret to share," I go to speak but he holds up his hand to silence me. "It's case Brian does decide to come after you and you'll have something to use against him-"

"That's not necessary," I raise my voice while shaking my head. "I don't want to resort to blackmail."

Nate tilts his head to the side with a stunned expression on his face. "Really? I thought that's how most girls operate with blackmail, gossip, secrets..."

"It's not morally right to expose someone else's secrets," I chuckle, finishing the rest of my purple skittles and cover my hand to speak. "Besides that I don't want to cause any trouble or hurt someone else."

"You're too sweet for your own good." He tries to take a green skittle but I smack his hand as hard as I can. "Geez. That was uncalled for."

"Don't touch or eat my skittles," I deadpanned, narrowing my eyes. "I'm not sweet when it comes to skittles especially over the green ones because they're my favorite."

Nate mock salutes standing to his feet. "I'll make a note of that. I think we'll be great friends."

"We're friends?" I ask, he nods with a smile that exposes his perfectly white teeth.

"Damn right," He pulls out his phone from his pocket and fiddles with it before holding it out to me. "You've taken a punch for me and you seem rather chilled. I mean, unless you don't want to be friends with me because I'm a freshman or because of my scary older brother..."

I laugh lightly, taking his phone. "Those weren't my words. I didn't call your brother scary."

"But do you find him scary?" I press save, looking at Nate who has a grin on his lips. "I didn't realize he scared everyone so much considering he's basically a puppy to me."

"He isn't scary," I start but then backtrack. "But I personally wouldn't get on his bad side-" I stop furrowing my eyebrows. "How did he even know it was me? I mean I've never spoken to him and never met you beforehand..."

Nate nods in understanding. "I heard the teacher call you Kira, he told me to describe you and bingo. Apparently there's another Kira but she's a bitch that wouldn't care about anyone else."

"Kira Bentley-" I answer him with a nod. "I had a few classes with her in my first two years and she constantly referred to me as nerd Kira to the teachers so they could distinguish us apart. She's not particularly nice..."

He takes his phone just as the girls get closer with Blair visibly seething. "I better go before your friends attack me, bye Kira."

He rushes off just as Blair pelts her heels down onto the table, fixing her hair in the process of sitting down. I nearly laugh until I see Taylor's eyes looking behind me. Her eyes meet mine for a moment before nodding her head behind me.

"Why are the Adams' brothers here?" I furrow my eyebrows, looking over my shoulder as Nate approaches Rhys.

The older of the brothers leans against the corner of the brick wall with his eyes focused on me. A small smirk tugs on his as Nate tells him something and he finally breaks eye contact while pushing off. I turn back about to reply when both girls look at me in confusion.

Blair finishes fixing her hair before putting her arms on the table. "Why was Nate talking to you? I didn't think talking to anyone of the opposite gender was possible with you."

"I'm not that socially awkward," I defend myself but shrug with a nod. "Okay maybe I am. He's a nice guy and was just thanking me for the other day."

"Nice guy doesn't go with the Adams last name," Blair snorts, wiping that possibility off the table. "He wanted something. I don't trust him purely because of his brother."

I disregard Blair's words knowing that they're bias. The guy Rhys beat up in sophomore year was her boyfriend at the time, actually he was her first everything so she had a natural hatred. Then the following year the world played a joke in putting them together for a lab where they caused an explosion because they were too busy in a verbal fight between themselves.

Long story short, she wouldn't be his greatest fan. Taylor on the other hand is more observant which allows her input to be valued. Her calculations give her words solidarity which means it's generally not bias or misleading. I trust her advice more than Blair's which is usually impulsive and irrational.

"I wasn't talking to his brother though." I exhale and shove the rest of the skittles inside my mouth.

Blair rolls her eyes and picks up one of her heels, pointing it at me. "Good. Keep it that way because he's nothing but a walking disaster."

"She says to the other walking disaster she knows," I joke in an attempt to lighten the mood. Blair rolls her eyes and Taylor chuckles, shaking her head. "Besides they might be blood related but that doesn't necessarily mean they're alike. For example, you and your brother. I guess that means you're a stoner who lacks any motivation in life."

I smile sarcastically and she glares at me. Taylor stifles her laughter by shoveling food into her mouth. "Well you're just a ray of sunshine today."

"Says the one that tackled a junior like a linebacker," I nodded slowly, as she swats me with her shoe. "What? It's not the end of the world if you got yogurt on your face and top, it washes off."

Blair stands up after putting her heel on properly. "I don't feel like smelling like something rotten all day so I'm going to find someone who has a spare shirt for me to wear."

"I have one in my locker," I sighed, standing up. "It's nothing glamorous but it's clean and doesn't smell rotten as you say."

Her eyes narrow. "Not a hoodie?"

"It's a dark red tank top," I answer for advancing questions. "You bought it for me."

"Great. That means it's not hideous," I roll my eyes and move backwards at the same time she does. "We'll be back."

"I swear all I get is a slap in the face half of the time," I shake my head, almost tripping over an uneven part of grass before spinning around to walk normally. "I could have not offered you know. I thought you would be more thankful that I'm giving up a clothing-"

"Spare me the guilt trip. You keep that shirt here because you're never going to wear it," She grins, linking our arms together when we enter the cafeteria. "You could look so cute. If you ditched the hoodies and jeans. I'm not saying completely- like leave it unzipped with a cute top underneath and wear boots."

"My fashion tastes aren't the best and I honestly don't care as long as it's clean with what I wear," She tsks and I shrug. "I'll wear something pretty or to your standard when I feel the need to."

"What about when you get a boyfriend?" She giggles. "Would you ever consider doing that?"

I shrug. "It would be a miracle for me to get a boyfriend first but maybe. I wouldn't if he told me because that's just not alright in my opinion..."

"You never know. I wouldn't jump on the crazy cat lady train yet."

"I don't like cats."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

215K 7.2K 36
Nathaniel Knox has only ever seen Phoebe as one thing: forbidden. He's no good for anyone - especially not someone as sweet as his best friend's litt...
5.2M 176K 52
When 19-year-old Nathalia witnesses a murder she becomes the key witness in a huge case against several high-ranking mob members, which means she mus...
71.7K 3.2K 46
How bad can a good girl get? With her entire future planned out in excruciating detail, all Adelina Baker wants is to protect her little brother and...
346K 12.7K 42
They tried to hide their past from her, but of course your past always comes running back- haunting you and reminding you of everything that you did...