Safe and Sound

By hazzaslover143

Waking up in a basement does nothing but frighten and confuse Nicole. She doesn't know where she is or what i... More

Safe and Sound
Chapter 2
Author's Note
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Happy Father's Day
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
My New Story
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Author's note
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Get Ready!!
Chapter 54 -- PART 1; Conclusion
Chapter 56
The Next Book
Its here!!!

Chapter 55 --PART 2 CONCLUSION

304 17 2
By hazzaslover143

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ:

There will be another chapter after this one. It will kind of guide you into the the second book.

That's all I wanted to say. Please please please VOTE AND COMMENT!!!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 55

PART 2~

NICOLE'S POV

"What are you saying? If she didn't, then who did?" Mason asked me.

I shook my head. "No one did. They are alive."

Mason's mouth fell agape slightly, and I could tell that he was holding his breath. His eyes were blinking rapidly, and he kept looking between me and my mom. His weight shifted from one foot to the other as he struggled to form a coherent sentence. He swallowed hard and stared down at Aubrey.

"W-w-what?" He stuttered.

"No!" He shouted, shaking his head. "No, no, no, no, you are lying to me."

"No we aren't." Harry said.

Mason's hand that held the gun began to tremble. "You are lying!" He spat.

"My wife and daughter were killed. They are dead. And they've been dead for ten years!!" His eyes fell on my mother again, fury and rage clear in his eyes. "And it's all because of her."

"Mason-"

"She took my only happiness!" Tears began to stream down his handsome, yet aged face. He was struggling to keep himself together, and my heart broke for him. He is a hurting and broken man who loved his family so much. And it must have killed him inside to see pictures of his family before they were 'killed'.

"Yes she did." I agreed. "But she never killed them. She staged it so you would believe they were dead."

He blinked at me for a minute before he looked down at my mom. She remained quiet he entire time. Her head was bowed, and she refused to look at me, or Mason, or anyone else. Mason raised the gun to her head again.

"Why would you do it?" He growled through gritted teeth.

She didn't speak.

"Answer me!" He yelled.

I mentally prayed that Mason wouldn't pull the trigger like I know he wants to. I also prayed that my mom would tell him. She needs to tell him the truth.

"Mom please." My voice cracked, and her eyes met mine. I felt my throat close up as tears ran down my cheeks. My mom sighed, and shook her head.

"Your family is alive." She said.

"Why did you fake their deaths? Why would you take them away from me?" Mason questioned.

"While your were watching me, I was also keeping tabs on you. I watched your family for a few weeks, studying them and their daily routine. One day your wife was outside planting some flowers in the garden, and I had made the decision to kill her then."

***flashback***

I opened the gate to the backyard, my gun locked and loaded. My movements were silent, as I slowly walked across the fresh, lush grass. The sun was shinning and it was very warm that day. I could smell the trees and flowers around me, the aroma bringing me to a better place mentally. My index finger stroked against the trigger, my anxiety flowing throughout my body.

Mrs. DeLuise was crouching down by a bed of pink roses, her large sun hat crowned her blond head, her teal dress flowing in the light breeze. She worked away planting the roses, and pulling out the unwanted weeds. I was now standing just three feet away from her. I pulled the gun out of the back of my light blue jeans, my floral top getting in the way. I shifted the safety switch on the gun and rose my arm, aiming at the back of the woman's head.

I stood there frozen. Why am I hesitating? This should be easy. My free hand began to twitch nervously, and I got that heavy feeling in my chest as my finger began to squeeze the trigger.

"If you are going to shoot me, then do it already." Her voice rang out, catching me off guard. I nervously swallowed as Mrs. DeLuise arose to her flip flopped feet. Her green eyes met my brown ones as she turned to face me, no emotion showed on her face. She was quite beautiful, looking about thirty, like me, with a slightly pointed nose, and small thin lips. She had a tiny frame that looked even smaller compared to her voluminous blond hair that draped at her shoulders.

I continued to stare into the eyes of the women I was going to kill. What do I do now? I don't understand this battle I have going on with myself.

"Go ahead and shoot me." She said. There was once again no emotion in her voice. I kept the gun trained on her, deciding whether or not to shoot this woman.

"It would be a lot easier on the both of us if you did."

Her words confused me. I guess it was evident on my face because she gave me a small smile before removing her hat from her head. She tossed it onto the bench beside her, and removed her gardening gloves, tossing those to the side as well.

"I'll have you know," she continued, "that my daughter is inside. Do you plan on killing her as well?" She asked, bitterness in her voice.

Not a moment too soon, the sound of a patio door sliding open brought our attention to the house. I quickly put my gun away, not wanting to frighten the young girl. Her curly blond hair was in pigtails, which bounced around as she skipped over to her mother, her pink dress fluttering behind her. At the realization of my presence, the little girl cowered behind her mother, fear in her brown eyes of the strange woman standing with mer mom.

"Mommy-" she began.

"Now, now, Emma." She coaxed the little girl. Emma continued to hide behind her mom, her little fists grasping a hold of Mrs. DeLuise's dress. I tried to look less menacing by smiling at Emma and shyly waving my hand at her. Emma smiled and waved her tiny little hand back at me.

"What are you doing, mommy?" She asked, peering up at her mother.

"Mommy is talking to a friend, darling." Mrs. DeLuise answered, rubbing Emma's back.

"I've never seen her before." Emma said.

"It's alright, sweetheart. Go back inside so mommy can finish talking to Aubrey." Emma nodded her head and skipped back to the house. She really was the cutest little thing. She reminded me of my own daughter, who is the same age as Emma, and my heart constricted at the thought.

I turned my attention back to the woman before me, a question just now popping into my head. "How do you know my name?"

She sighed. "I recognized you from a picture." She said. "I saw a picture of you on my husband's phone. At first, I thought he may have been cheating on me with you." She chuckled and took a seat on the bench, smoothening out her dress before she continued.

"But then one night I overheard him on the phone in his study. He was going on and on about you on the phone and my suspicions really peaked then. But then he started talking about how he was watching your family and gathering intel and a man named Jonathan Hobbs came up; and a man named Michael Merriweather, whom I later presumed was your husband. And then things began to fall into place. Pieces fit into the puzzle, and the fog in my mind cleared away. All these years I thought my husband was an accountant for a fortune five-hundred company, and here, I hear him talking about killing people and stealing information and just madness."

I stared at the woman in awe at the fact that she is telling me all of this. I know I asked, but she doesn't even know me. All she knows is some small details. And not to mention the fact that I was holding a gun to her head not five minutes ago.

"I denied what I heard. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of Mason being a man like that. He was so loving and kind..." She stopped, placing her delicate hand over her mouth. I didn't know what to do with this emotional woman. I just stood there with an urge to just leave. Forget about harming this woman and her child, and just leave. Maybe I can come up with an excuse to tell Michael and have my family out of here by morning. I can concoct I good story about a new job offer or something, anything.

"We all think we know someone until we find out that what we thought was a lie, Mrs. DeLuise?" I said. Why am I even speaking?

"Carla." She said. "My name is Carla."

I remained silent this time, not knowing what to do next. This has never happened to me before. I should be home preparing dinner right now; instead, I'm awkwardly standing in the backyard of the woman I was going to kill, whose husband has me in his radar.

"Mason went out of town for a few days once. While he was gone I went through his study. I looked through files, papers, everything. And that's when I learned the truth. I learned about the people he has killed, the people he has tortured, the people he basically has on a hit list. I saw bank accounts full of cash that I had no clue we had. I saw files on some type of government information that I knew he shouldn't have. It made sense but then again it didn't. Do you know what it is like to go to bed next to the man you love, knowing that your prince is really the monster?" She said.

"Yes." I answered. I do. I spent years being romantically involved with Jonathan Hobbs. I knew the type of man he was but I didn't know how much he would affect me. I didn't know how much hellfire he would inevitably bring to my life.

"Then maybe you will understand what I'm going to ask of you."

I nervously swallowed. Why is this woman asking me anything?

I shrugged my shoulders and shook my head. "Why ask anything of me? You don't know me."

She stood from the bench and right in front of me. I could smell her sweet perfume and could make out the stress lines on her forehead and around her mouth. She's too young for those lines. But this woman has probably been dealing with a lot since she now knows about who her husband really is.

"Call it a leap of faith."

"Why have faith in me? I mean, I did come here with the intention of killing you." I pointed out. She flinched at the last part and I regretted my choice of words.

"Because I'm not strong enough to do this on my own. I need help." She pleaded. I continued looking at her, allowing her time to pull herself together before asking me her question.

"I need to get away from Mason. He has enemies. I cannot risk one of them finding us. I can't just sit back and act like everything is okay when my family could be in danger because of him."

I moved my long black hair over my right shoulder, and shoved my hands in my back pockets. My eyes diverted down to my red-polished toes in my tan sandals.

"Will you help me?" She begged.

"I think you are asking the wrong person." I answered honestly.

"What about your daughter? What if things were the other way around? Are you telling me you wouldn't be desperate to find a way out?" She asked, crossing her thin arms across her chest. Her green eyes burned into my face as my eyes refused to connect with hers. Honestly, I would do everything in my power to keep my family safe. I just wanted a normal life. I thought I found my way out, my shortcut to happiness, but now I'm being pulled back into a life full of half-answered questions, danger, and for some, death.

"Mrs. DeLuise-"

"Please, call me Carla."

I sighed. "Carla, if you want to get out, you need to do it for yourself, and be strong enough to go through with it. It isn't easy leaving the man you love. Trust me, I've done it before. And I did it without help. I was alone, and all I had was myself and I wanted to breakdown and go back to him because I didn't think I could make it, but I knew I couldn't go back. I had to find that strength to keep moving on. That's what you need. You need the strength."

Her eyes were killing me, the sadness, the lost looking emotion that seeped from them in the form of tears. Her hands were clasped over her chest as she took a breath.

"Will you help me?" Carla asked again. I could see it in her eyes. She had the motivation, and I knew she wanted a safer life for Emma. I knew she would do whatever it is she needed to do to ensure that safe life, but was I willing to help her? Should I even help her? I just met this woman and already I'm considering plotting with her.

Nicole's sweet little face popped into my head. Her little smile, that had a couple of teeth missing; her blue eyes that matched Michael's; the carmel of her skin and her sandy-colored hair. She loved to wear it down, a halo of curls adorning her head as she was lifted high into the air by my beautiful, sweet Michael. His smile was wide and heart-warming as he pressed a kiss to his daughter's cheek. I would do anything to keep seeing that smile on their faces, anything. And I knew that Carla would do the same for her daughter.

"Okay. But you have to do what I say when I say it. No backtracking, no fear. If you want to do this, then you need to be ready mentally for what you have to do." I explained.

Carla's face lit up for a moment and a smile took over her face. Her smile was lovely, not too big and not small. Her pearly white teeth seemed to be illuminated by the sun's rays, and she looked like a woman from a toothpaste commercial. She grasped my hand firmly in hers, and a small smile crawled across my face.

***flashback over***

My throat felt dry as I finished the story. I was still kneeling on the ground, and didn't know if I should look up at Nicole or even Mason. I've never told a single soul this story, having been promised Carla that I never would. I feel bad that I have broken that promise because neither of us wanted Mason to know that their deaths were staged and they were alive.

"They-" Mason stopped. His brown eyes were lost in thought, trying to find some kind of logic behind my mom's story. I could see it in his face that it didn't make sense to him.

"T-they are a-alive?" He stuttered. His eyes moved to my face and I nodded my head. A tear fell from his face, and his shaking hand tightened around the gun. Next thing I know, then back end if the handgun made a brutal connection with th side of my head.

NICOLE'S POV

"Mom!" I yelled. My mother is laying on her side, grasping the side of her head. The gun hit her really heard, so hard that I flinched. I tried to jump to her aid but was pulled into the large man behind me. Zayn and Harry tried to help her as well, but the same thing happened to them.

Mason stood over my mom's body, and crouched over her. He turned her onto her back and pried her hands away from her head. "Where are they?!" He yelled. My mother shook her head.

"I will ask again. Where. Are. They?" He placed the gun under my mother's chin and panic set in again. My mother kept her lips tight as he pushed the gun further under her chin, and her hands were clasped around his wrist.

"Don't!" I yelled. "You know the truth now, so let her go, please!" I cried.

"It's not going to end so easily." His voice was low and I could sense the anger behind them. That only made my heart beat faster, and I had to do something. But before I could Zayn had already made the first move.

His fist can down hard on the big man's crotch, the man grunted and was slowly crumpling to the ground. Zayn back kicked him in the face, the man's body twisting to the ground. He came at the man who was holding me, and I ducked as Zayn's fist connected with the man's jaw. The man hit Zayn right back, grabbed him by the collar of his jacket and threw him up against the stone pole. I kicked the man in his lower back, and when he faced me, my punched him so hard, blood gushed from his nose and my knuckles began to throb like hell.

Niall and Harry were already taking care of the other guys, Kamaria and Myah were on two more, and my attention fell on Mason and my mom. They were both standing now, but his left arm was around my mom's neck as his right hand held the gun to her head.

"Enough!" Mason's deep voice echoed off the walls, causing everybody in the room to cease their actions.

I was grasping my throbbing hand as I locked eyes with Mason. "Mason, listen to me. Let her go. You don't have to do this."

"No." He responded almost immediately.

"She is going to tell me where they are. Then I may reconsider putting a hole in her pretty little head." He held her tighter and I could see that she was beginning to struggle to breathe.

"I'm never going to tell you." My mom heaved. Mason jerked her in his hold, and brought his lips to her ear.

"We'll see about that." He snarled.

"There is a reason why your wife wanted to get away from you." My mom said.

"Shut up." Mason demanded.

"You're crazy, Mason. You were putting your own family at risk because of your selfishness and stupidity."

"Shut up!"

"Emma grew up without a proper father in her life, and Carla had to raise her on her own because of the kind of man you are-"

My mom stopped talking as two hand-sized steel capsules rolled across the floor. The resembled grenades but they were a little small and more elongated. It took a moment for it to register what they were but by that time, it was too late. A sickly, pale colored fume was emitted from the capsules, moving through the air around us. My eyes began to water and I tried to cover my nose with my hand. My nose burned at the fumes and I began to cough uncontrollably. I looked to my left and saw Zayn coughing, his body falling to the ground. Harry and Niall were already on the ground, and I saw Mason release my mother as he fell to the ground as well. My mother coughed and hacked, her hands cupping her own neck as she sank to the ground.

The fumes continued to contaminate the air, it's stench filling my lungs as I struggled to breathe. My vision became hazy as I looked for my mom. I saw a few extra bodies moving about the room until one in particular caught my eye. It was difficult to see but I could make his his grey hair and built stature. I knew exactly who he was, and I never thought I'd say this, but I have never been happier to see him.

"Hello Mason." Simon said through his gas mask. Simon kicked the handgun away from Mason, ensuring that he wouldn't try to use it.

"Ooh, you don't look so good. You can sleep it off in a prison cell." Simon smiled. Mason was hauled to his feet, and his hands were secured behind his back by two rather bulky men. By this time the fumes have evaporated, and my vision was beginning to return to normal. My lungs stopped burning, and breathing was no longer an issue. I saw Harry attempt to get to his feet. At the same time, I felt a comforting hand rub across my back and then turn me over onto my back. Zayn's eyes held worry and concern as he looked me over and asked me if I was okay.

I sat up slowly, taking in slow breaths as Zayn was careful with me, treating me as if I was a delicate doll that he had to handle with care or else I'd break. Once I felt okay, I wrapped my arms around his neck and brought him close to me. His arms pulled me in closer to him and he buried his face in my neck, his fingers tangling into my curly hair.

His heart was still hammering against his chest, as was mine, but as the seconds passed I felt our heartbeats fall in sync, and the feeling brought me great joy.

~*~*~*~

"Thank God you all are okay." Liam breathed. I ran up to him and wrapped my arms around him. He smiled and returned the gesture. I then hugged Louis and Leigh-Anne, and both looked relieved that it was over.

I turned and watched Mason's many guards and henchmen being handcuffed and stuffed into large police vans and trucks. Mason DeLuise was the last one to be taken away in a cop car, and he to walk by us to get to the car. His brown eyes scanned us menacingly, and they seemed to have a red burn to them. When his cold eyes landed on me, I could feel the anger and hatred. His gaze made me uncomfortable and I shifted from one foot to the other, at the same time trying to act as if he isn't affecting me at all. Zayn wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me into his side, shooting Mason a death glare.

Long fingers moved under my chin and brought my attention to beautiful, chocolate eyes and the most heart-warming smile. I turned to face him, our chests pressing into each other.

"Are you okay?" He asked, his finger stroking my cheek.

"Yeah, I'll be fine." I said.

"How's your mum?" His finger traced over the bridge of my nose.

"The medic said she will be fine. She needs to spend a night or two at the hospital so they can treat her." I explained.

The others had moved away by now, leaving Zayn and I to have our ow little moment.

His finger drifted over to the large scar on my cheek, the one I hate the most, the ugly thing caused by the girl I can't stand. He was gentle as he touched it, knowing how much I hate it.

"You are amazing, you know that right?" He smiled. His smile made me smile, and I leaned into his touch.

"And so are you."

"No I'm serious. You have gone through a lot, more than any other person I know. You've dealt with a lot of shit these last months, and you took it all like a champ."

"I guess I have. I don't know how I did it, but I am glad that I did and that it over." I smiled, my hand gracefully stroking Zayn's cheek. His large hands squeezed my waist, and he pulled me into his warm body.

"Nicole!" I heard a voice call out.

I whipped around to see who was calling me, and my whole face lit up. My dad was jogging towards me, his hand waving in the air to get my attention. He looked good, a clean white tee and jeans made him look a little younger and more lively, more lively than I have seen him since my mom left. I broke away from Zayn and dodged a few people until I was in my dad's arms. His laughed rumbled through his chest as he lifted me into the air. My arms were secured around his neck as I laughed at his actions.

"Daddy!"

"Oh, baby girl, are you okay? What happened to your face? I haven't seen you in so long, and I was worried, and I thought something had happened to you, and no one told me where you were, and you were answering your phone, and I-" my father rambled on.

"Dad," I interrupted. "I am fine. I'm sorry for not contacting you, and I know you were worried about me. And I'm sorry. But I couldn't contact you without possibly putting you in danger." I explained. My dad looked into my eyes, tears filling his, and he pulled me into another hug. I wrapped my arms around his body, feeling the familiar warmth, smelling that same scent that he's smelled like since I was a little girl, and knowing that he was always there for me made me feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

I pulled away from the hug as I heard Simon call my name.

"Are you alright, Nicole?" He asked. I nodded my head with a smile.

"Good. I'm glad we were able to get here before anything to horrid happened."

"How did you know we were here, Simon?" I asked. As convenient as it was, it did strike me as odd that he found us.

"You can thank Isabel for that. She called me and said she was worried that you all would get hurt. She filled me in, and I prepared this rescue team in minutes. I was determined to get here before you all got hurt."

I smiled at his answer. "Thank you, Simon."

He nodded his head at me and walked away. I felt a huge weight lift off of my shoulders in that moment and I could feel a strange peace come over me. I took my dad's hand in mine and led him towards the group. They all paused when they saw us coming, but big smiles were painted in their faces as I I approached.

"Hey guys, there is one more thing I need to do."

~*~*~*~

"She is in room 104A, just go right down this hall." The desk lady instructed us.

My dad thanked her and turned back to me, his blue eyes showing nerves. We held each other's hand as we started walking down the long hallway. My friends and Zayn stayed behind, mainly because it was family only visiting hours, and the room would be really crowded if we all went in.

The walk seemed like a journey, my heart racing. I wasn't nervous for myself, but for my dad. He kept twitching his fingers and breathing oddly, and even tried to turn around. Ugh, how old is he?Once at the door I released his hand and and patted him on the back.

"You'll be fine, dad."

"Are you sure?" He asked, rubbing his palms against his jeans.

"Sure." I smiled. I patted him again, and took a step back. My dad took a few slow breaths before he opened the hospital room door. I peered over his shoulder as he stepped inside, his body frozen at the entrance.

There, laying in the bed, dressed in a paper gown that had pale green polka dots on it, her long black hair fanned out against the thick pillow, her mocha skin illuminated by the fluorescent lights. There was a bandage on her forehead from where the shattered mirror cut her, and I could see that she was feeling some pain. But she still looked beautiful.

"Hey Aubrey." My dad said.

MICHAEL'S POV

"Michael?" She sat up slightly, but winced. She settled back down in the bed, and right hand resting over her ribs. I'm glad I never saw that Mason prick who did this to her, or else I would be able to keep myself from kicking the shit out of him.

"Be careful. Don't move too fast." I said as I walked into the room. She kept her brown eyes on me as I walked up to her. I took a seat on the edge of the bed at her side as she scooted over a little so I could sit.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"I feel like shit." She smiled to herself. She moved her hair behind her ear, her eyes showing confusion. "How are you here?"

"I forced Simon to bring me with him when he went to save you. And then Nicole and her friends brought me here." I smiled.

I took her hand in mine. It was soft against my skin, the familiar warmth making my heart beat a little faster. I wasn't sure what to say to her next. There is so much I want to say and I have no idea how to tell her. I missed her so much and I went what seems like forever without her in my life. I can't tell you how many times I would lay awake at night running my hand along the sheets on her side of the bed. I wondered if she would ever come back, and if it was all my fault why she left in the first place. My heart was shattered to pieces when she walked out the door that day, and I knew it could never be out back together unless she came back.

I saw a tear slip down Aubrey's face and I reached my hand out to swipe it away. I left my hand against her cheek, and she smiled and leaned into my touch. Her delicate hand laid on mine as she looked into my eyes.

"I know I made a lot of mistakes. But I think the worst one was leaving you." She sniffed. "Not a day goes by where I don't think about what would have happened if I stayed. I regret doing that to you, and I hurt you so much, Michael, and I'm sorry." She was crying now, and my heart constricted at the sight.

"It's okay."

"No, it's not." She sniffed.

"Baby look at me." I said. I cupped her face, wiping her tears with my thumbs, encouraging her to look at me. "I forgive you."

Aubrey's eyes widened at my words. She couldn't believe that I forgave her, and that I was even here in front of her. I know she has made mistakes, but she is human. We all make mistakes, but what is important is if we learn from them and how we go on with our lives when it's all said and done.

"I forgive you for what you did. I understand why you did them, too. And none of it changes the fact that I love you." I said. More tears trickled down her face as she took in my words.

"I love you, too, Michael."

I wiped her tears away and kissed her. Her lips were soft and supple, like they always are, and they felt so familiar. They felt as if I never stopped kissing her. I laid in the bed next to her, my arm wrapped around her shoulder while she lays her head on my chest. She couldn't really cuddle me since she had two broken ribs, but laying down next to her again was the best feeling in the world. He played with the ends of her hair as she played with my fingers, habits that we picked up with each other during the earlier years if our marriage.

"I missed holding you." She mumbled into my chest.

I smiled and answered, "Me too."

"You wanna watch a movie?" She asked, her brown eyes gleeful. The sight made me smile again and I said, "Yeah."

She picked up the remote next to her and flipped through the channels until she landed in the fee movie channels the hospital offered.

***New Year's Eve***

NICOLE'S POV

The bass was making the the floors shake and rumble as the music flowed throughout the room. People were milling about, talking, laughing, and dancing. Most of the people I here I didn't know, a few were friends of my parents while the rest were complete strangers.

Simon decided to throw a New Years party for everyone at the agency since the majority don't always get to go out and be normal. I'm still reeling over the fact that Simon of all people did this. As rigid and old as he is, the man knows how to party. Bottles of alcohol took up an entire wall, balloons and streamers decorated the large room, tables were decorated with confetti and champagne glasses were being refilled every fee seconds. The party was in full swing and everyone was having a good time.

Niall was dancing on a table a few feet away, the first five buttons of his shirt undone, a beer in one hand, and his jacket in the other as he whipped it in the air. Louis and Leigh-Anne were talking by the bar, Louis whispering things in her ear and she was smiling at every word he said. She looked gorgeous in her navy blue dress that hugged her curves and her stilettos were to die for. Louis looked very handsome in a navy button up and black jeans, and his hair was gelled back. Harry was dancing with Izzy on the dance floor. She had healed up enough to come out tonight and she looked stunning in a black dress that was tight at the chest but flows towards to bottom. Harry had on his usual: blazer over a white tee and black jeans. Kamaria and Liam were drunk off their asses. They were sitting at one of the tables giggling at absolutely nothing, Liam's face red from laughter and Kamaria had her face buried in her hands. Her silver dress shined under the lights as she and Liam tried to get to their feet so they could get to the dance floor. Perrie was talking to the DJ, who has grown a liking to her.

As for me, I took the time to get away from the crowd and stood outside on the balcony. It was beautiful up here. The city's skyline was breathtaking, the while city seems to be alive tonight, counting down the minutes until the new year. I wore a tight, black and gold dress, that went to mid thigh. There was an hourglass shape in the middle of the dress the color gold, while the outer section was black, giving me a curvier look. I straightened my hair and was surprised at his long it was. The dress was a little tight around my chest, but Zayn seemed to like that the most.

"Hey you."

I smiled at the sound of Zayn's voice and turned to meet his eye. "Hey."

He walked up to me and wrapped his arms around my waist, and my hands gripped his biceps.

"You know, I've been watching you all night and that dress is driving me absolutely insane." He mumbled against my neck, sending shivers through my body. "And I can't wait to get you out of it." He growled. His hands went down to squeeze my bum, and I squealed I surprise.

"Zayn, my parents are inside!" I giggled.

"They can't see us." He mumbled as he left kisses to my chest. I slapped shoulder so he'd stop before someone saw us and he pouted at me. I wanted to bite his lip right there but refrained from doing so.

"So," he started, "what's next?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"What do you want to do after tonight?" He asked more seriously. I shrugged my shoulders. I don't really know what he means.

"Remember when I said I wanted to leave, to get out of this city and just get lost. I meant it. But I want you to come with me." He said. My eyes widened as I recalled our moment in my shower when he brought the idea up.

"Zayn-" I didn't know what to say.

"I asked you to think about it. Have you?" He asked, his hands gently rubbing my sides.

"Zayn I can't just leave. I can't leave my family and our friends. I'd miss them too much." I said. His face dropped as if he wished I was saying the complete opposite.

"I love you Zayn, so much. I want to be with you-"

"Then be with me." He said. I shook my head.

"I can't leave. I just got my parents back." I said. I pulled out of his hold and moved to stand by the ledge. I cool air whipped across my face and felt myself relax a bit. I didn't want this conversation to come up tonight, or anytime soon for that matter, but with Zayn it is the inevitable. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I get it. It was stupid and selfish thing to ask of you anyway." He said, scratching the back of his head. I felt guilty for some reason and I wanted to kiss the frown from his forehead.

"So, what now?" I ask.

"Don't worry about it, not tonight at least." He said. He took my hand in his and brought us back into the party.

"Alright everybody, let's start the countdown." The DJ announced through the microphone.

The crowd gathered and began to countdown from thirty.

"Thirty.... Twenty-nine.... Twenty-eight.... Twenty-seven...."

My friends and I all gathered near each other, the couples putting their arms around each other. Liam and Kamaria were holding themselves up against each other, but I feared that one of them--or both--would pass out at any given moment.

"Nineteen.... Eighteen.... Seventeen... Sixteen...."

I looked to my right and saw my parents. My dad had his arms wrapped around my mother, who was smiling and giggling as he spoke to her. To see them together again brought a warm joy to my heart. I haven't seen my father smile so much in a long time, and I was happy that the woman making him like that was the one he loved more than anything in this world.

"Ten.... Nine.... Eight..."

Zayn turned me around in his hold, his chocolate brown eyes gazing into my blue ones. One hand kept me pressed against his torso while the other cupped my cheek, my hands pressing against his chest. His cologne filled my senses and my heart fluttered as he smiled at me.

"I love you, Nicole." He whispered against my lips.

"I love you, Zayn." I whispered back.

"Three.... Two.... One... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!" Everyone applauded and cheered. Zayn's lips pressed to mine in an all-consuming way. My fingers knitted into his hair as his hands flattened out against my back. Noise-makers and honks went off, and glitter and confetti rained down from the ceiling. Music blasts from the speakers, the bass thumping in my chest. Zayn slipped his tongue into my mouth, and I moaned in satisfaction. I wanted this moment to last forever.

I knew things wouldn't go back to the way they were before, and I didn't want them to. It would be too heart breaking. I have grown a lot during these six months. I have developed a confidence I never thought I'd have, I finally have a voice and courage all my own, I made friends that I will hold onto forever, I got my family back together, and fell in love with the most beautiful, loving, and caring man.

I'm not sure what the future will bring for us all, but I was ready to face it, as long as I face it with Zayn, even in the face of danger, I'd be safe and sound.

___________________________________________________________________________

(A/N)

THE END.

BUT WAIT, THERE WILL BE ONE MORE CHAPTER AFTER THIS THAT WILL LEAD YOU INTO THE NEXT BOOK.

KEEP "Safe and Sound" IN YOUR LIBRARY TO RECEIVE UPDATES ON BOOK 2.

If you want a quicker update, you have to VOTE AND COMMENT.

Thank you all so much for reading. Ilysm. And I can't wait to delve into Nicole and Zayn's life in the next installment.

Remember to VOTE and COMMENT!!

Peace, Love, and Rubber Gloves (some of you may know where I got that from, lol)

-Lauren xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.4K 274 13
Zachary Michaels remembers many things from his youth -- his first kiss, that crazy night at a concert, and his little adventure with a man named Nia...
13.3K 300 31
Jordan is just your average 17 year old teenager. Well except for the fact that she's depressed, cutting and living alone. After running away from h...
4.3K 16 22
Skye is the girl everyone wishes to be. But, the only way to learn about how that wish could be a bad one is by reading into her life and finding out...
20.5K 442 20
Something nobody thought would happen did happen! Niall, Harry, Zayn, Liam And Louis find themselves together in the music room, hiding for the guy w...