The Vicky Series: Book 3: Liv...

By Gloriannajames

Q. E. McClintock has never shied from his duty and when the Civil War starts, he once again answers the call... More

Note and Acknowledgements
Chapter 1 Part 1
Chapter 1 Part 2
Chapter 2 Part 1
Chapter 2 Part 2
Chapter 3 Part 1
Author Note
Chapter 3 Part 2
Chapter 4 Part 1
Chapter 4 Part 2
Chapter 05 Part 1
Chapter 5 Part 2
Chapter 06 Part 1
Chapter 6 Part 2
Author's note
Chapter 07 Part 1
Chapter 7 Part 2
chapter 08 part 1
Chapter 8 part 2
Chapter 09 part 1
Chapter 9 part 2
Chapter 10 part 1
Chapter 10 part 2
Chapter 11 part 1
Chapter 11 part 2
Chapter 12 part 1
Chapter 12 part 2
Chapter 13 part 1
Chapter 13 part 2
chapter 14 part 1
Chapter 14 part 2
Author's Note
Chapter 15-part 1
Chapter 15 - part 2
Chapter 16-part 1
Chapter 16 - part 2
Chapter 17-part 1
Chapter 17 part 2
Chapter 18 part 1
Chapter 18 part 2
Chapter 19 part 2
Chapter 20 part 2
Chapter 20 part 1
Chapter 21 part 1
Chapter 21 part 2
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
This Story is finished but...

Chapter 19 part 1

237 25 0
By Gloriannajames

"Why not?" Vicky's eyes got wide as she doubled over.

"It will go easier if you move about. Change into this," she held out a nightdress she'd drawn from the chest of drawers, "Walk about. It will help hurry the baby."

"But what if..."

"Just get changed." Katie scolded, "I'll be right back."

Katie closed the door behind her and hurried to the kitchen.

"Cato."

"Yes Ma'am."

"I want you to go into the nursery. If they wake up I need you to keep them there and try to keep them calm."

Katie chuckled as he blew out a heavy sigh and let his shoulders sag. That was one less worry. One more male out from under foot and the children were taken care of if they should wake up. If only she could find a chore to send Louie off on. With a sigh she rolled up her sleeves and headed back to Vicky. It was going to be a long night.

---

"Will!" Bo ran to catch up to the hand that was already mounted and heading for the gate. "Where are you off to?"

"Shorty said they boys would leave a man camped at the trail where it turns off to the canyon they're working. They want to be here for the Missus."

"Mighty good of them. With the major still gone, I reckon the missus will need all the love we can give her to keep her from feeling so sad from missing him. Especially now since she was really hoping he'd be here. I'm off to fetch Ms. Ruthie from town. Ride careful. It's a dark night with the clouds so thick."

"Will do Boss."

"I'm not the boss, I've told you..."

"Louie says you're kin. Kin of the boss makes you more than just a hand like me and the boys no matter what you say." He laughed as he turned mount and kicked heel.

Bo shook his head as he went to get his horse. He'd skip the saddle as he wanted to feel his mount when they went through the pass. The road and main trail were fairly solid but as he told Will it was a dark night...and he intended to ride careful.

---

Quinton pushed on through the night. Sleep tugged at him but he pushed it away. He was worried about Vicky. Only yesterday they received orders to accept the Navajo surrender on July 20th. Carson ordered Quin home with his regards and instructions to report to Ft. Canby in time to accept the surrender.

He hoped nothing had gone wrong. He wanted to head home in June but it didn't happen. He'd spent so much time in the saddle the last six weeks he damn-near forgot how to walk. He felt badly that he hadn't been able to write but he couldn't manage it from the saddle and he couldn't have sent it even if he had managed to write it.

He worried about Vicky. He hoped his wife and new child were alright. It broke his heart every time he thought of not being there. Still...He wanted to roar in frustration but that would be as foolish as sleeping in the saddle. He was a soldier riding alone in Indian country which made him a coveted target. His tunic, his hat, his patches, his scalp...Jonah and the coup to count...

He shrugged off that line of thought and looked at the sky. At least the clouds covered the stars. If he rode all night and could stay awake he'd be home by lunch tomorrow. A few minutes later he jerked his chin up and swore. He had to stop. It was better to delay arriving home by a few hours than to risk not making it home at all.

He left Jonah saddled and ground-tethered him near a copse of trees. He leaned against the trunk and stood Jonah next to him. Tucking his rifle against his chest he pulled his cloak around him. Jonah would alert him if they had company and his rifle was loaded. He'd nap a few hours and then push for home. He let that thought warm him as exhaustion overtook him.

He awoke with a start as Jonah nosed his shoulder. In a heartbeat his was wide awake and looked around. Nothing seemed out of place. The birds welcomed the sunrise...and there was a rustling. Slowly he raised his rifle and waited. A rabbit skirted the edge of the clearing and a few minutes later Quin patted Jonah as he held up the rabbit.

"I'll fix up a quick bite to eat and we'll head for home. I'll make sure you get a good rubdown and a double portion of oats, boy. You've more than earned it this trip."

He looked at the sky and the rabbit and chuckled as he made quick work of building a fire and getting the rabbit on a spit. His thoughts wandered to the trip he and Vicky took to inspect the forts up north and how she'd done this so well. He looked up as the horse nickered at him and bobbed his head up and down. He chuckled. Sometimes that horse was almost human.

"I know boy. I miss her too. I figure we should be home before dawn tomorrow. I don't reckon I'll last that long but if we're close enough it might be safe to sleep in the saddle and let you take us home. I just don't want to wait another day. I can't explain it boy, but I just need to get my sorry carcass home."

---

Day finally dawned and anxiety was the prevailing emotion on the Arrow Q. Every hand was present and making busy work. The barn was never so clean and the horses had new shoes, rubdowns, and all the tack was mended. The vegetable and flower gardens were weeded and they even hauled out the washtub and did their own washing. None of them wanted to leave.

Cato fell asleep in the nursery rocker. In the night Little Quin awoke and climbed up into his lap. The morning found them sleeping peacefully as the boy cradled against the man's chest. Anxiety skipped over that room. For the present the young occupants were wrapped in blissful slumber. Katie closed the door quietly and smiled as she made her way to the kitchen.

Louie paced nervously and mumbled. He questioned her each time she emerged and it was everything she could do not to lose her temper. Yes, things are well. Vicky is fine. Baby is doing fine but these things just take time...she recited the answers like a limerick. She ran out of things for him to do hours ago and racked her brain trying to keep him busy and out of her way.

Katie wasn't worried. Vicky really was doing well. Although she got off to a slow start, her labor was progressing rapidly. There would be a new baby in the house in a few hours at the very most. She stepped out on the porch and stretched her back. The sun was just beginning to color the sky. It would be a good day for the McClintock family.

The rumble of her stomach broke the silence of the dawn. With a chuckle she went inside as she tucked back the loose strands that had fallen from her bun. Cutting a thick slice of bread she skipped the butter and jam. As she ate the bread she poured half a cup of cold coffee to wash it down. Esther was with Vicky now but the woman was only there to help as she'd never been present when a baby was born...

Her stomach rumbled again and Katie was struck with inspiration. Louie could arrange a celebratory shin-dig. He could dig the pits and set the beef to roasting. He could shuck corn and peel potatoes and...oh it was brilliant. It would be enough to keep the men busy. They wouldn't get in the way and if they were busy perhaps they wouldn't pester her with so many questions.

"Louie..." she said with a smile. "Why don't you and the boys organize a shin-dig to celebrate?"

"That's a fine idea. I think I'll ride to town and see if I can find me some canned peaches. Vicky loves canned peaches and we haven't had any in a while. I'll get..."

Katie smiled as she poured another half cup of the cold coffee and headed back to the birthing bed. The boys would be fine now.

Vicky was on her feet when Katie entered but doubled over and shuffled to the bed to sit. The contractions were so strong and swift they knocked the wind from her and she could no longer stand through them, even with the two women to support her.

"Esther, help me get her moved against the headboard." And to Vicky, "I'm going to take a look dear, because I have a feeling you'll be needing to push before very long. You're doing fine. I know you're exhausted and the pain is incredible but it's almost over and you're doing very well."

Katie picked up a cloth from the water basin and gently swabbed Vicky's face and neck. She was covered with sweat and the nightdress was clinging to her. She really was doing so well. Then again, she'd birthed babes before so she knew what to expect. Coping was always easier when you knew what to expect...

Quin was almost close enough to home that Jonah would know the way. He was tired but no so much he would stop. He looked around and a coyote wolf howled in the distance. His heart raced and he slipped his rifle from its boot and his weariness was instantly forgotten. His eyes scanned the area and he listened but there was nothing save the prickling along his spine.

Suddenly a loud cry somewhere between a growl and a scream rent the air and a lithe body flew at him knocking him from Jonah. Using his rifle he pushed up and knocked his attacker off but a second came from behind and he felt the cut of a blade as he turned. His rifle butt struck the second attacker in the head and he went down.

Before he could complete a turn, the first attacker was on him again. This time Quin dropped his rifle and grabbed the wrist that held a hunting knife. The other hand was squeezing Quin's throat. Using his free hand he struck hard at the elbow of the hand pressing his throat. His attacker twisted and rolled off to the right.

Quin glanced swiftly around but realized his rifle was too far. Reaching into his boot he pulled out the small blade he'd kept there since the trouble with Jeremy. It was no match for the hunting knife for size but it was sharp and in the right place it would be just as deadly. They circled each other and Quin felt his heart pounding in his ears.

Fear was gone. Anxiety, worry, in fact any thought or feeling beyond the moment was suspended as they circled. Now his entire being was focused on the enemy. He read his footfalls, his shoulders, the way his face twitched in a wicked grin. He saw his forearms flex as he flipped the blade in his right hand then tossed it to his left. He was baiting Quin.

Suddenly he lunged and the knife moved back to his right hand and slashed out toward Quin's middle. Quin saw the muscles in his shoulder flex and twisted out of the way in time to avoid a deep cut, though the blade cut through his tunic and left a shallow cut on his stomach. Quin looked again and tried to circle them toward his rifle.

It was too close to use but the rifle was a better deflector of the hunting knife than his flesh. Once more he dodged out of the way and felt the blade slice into his arm. Damn that hurt. He could keep circling and getting shredded until this guy's pal woke up and it would be two to one again or he could bite the bullet and try to even the odds.

He flipped his knife back and forth between his hands. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. The motion distracted his attacker for a second and he lunged slashing toward his attacker's wrist as he passed. He felt the blade cut his leg as he passed and spun back around. He used his momentum to sweep his leg as he fell to his back. He connected with is attacker's knee.

A strangled cry brought a satisfied smile as he fell and Quin rolled swiftly toward him. They held each other's knife hands as they rolled trying to use their weight and gravity to win. A rustle from behind made the Indian growl and Quin refused to be baited. He forced his weight right and pulled the opponent with him they rolled over each other twice and Quin was again on top.

There was a rock the size of his fist exposed in the dirt behind the Indian's neck. It wasn't much but Quin leaned forward pressing his weight advantage and the Indian yelped as his neck was pressed into the rock. His grip on Quin's blade weakened as the pain from the rock began to increase. Once more Quin pressed his advantage and leaned his weight toward the hunting knife.

A smile spread on his enemy's pained face as he the hunting knife pressed through Quin's uniform and san an inch into Quin's shoulder and blood began to pour. The smile quickly turned to surprise as Quin used the distraction to plunge his smaller blade into his enemy's neck. With a sigh Quin pulled himself free and retrieved his rifle. Jonah nickered and shied as Quin approached.

"I don't like the smell of blood either, boy." Quin grumbled, "Especially when it's mine. Now hold still."

In a moment he was mounted and touched heel. Jonah wanted to run and Quin let him wanting distance between himself and that place. After a few miles he slowed Jonah to a walk and pressed his kerchief against the cut on his shoulder. It wasn't that bad but it hurt worse than the other cuts. He needed to clean them so he stopped Jonah at a copse of trees.

"Don't get comfortable, boy." He grumbled as he untied his canteen.

He dug his last clean shirt from his saddlebags and tore it into pieces. After he'd cleaned the cuts and wrapped them with strips of his clean shirt he shrugged and mounted again.

"Let's get home, boy. You want oats and I want whiskey." He chuckled as he touched heels.

Once more Jonah wanted to run and Quin decided to let him. They ate up the miles and as darkness fell they were near enough home that Quin felt it was safe to doze a little in the saddle. Holding his rifle in the crook of his elbow he let his heavy eyelids droop while Jonah took them the rest of the way home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 19 24
You've been moving around the country with your abusive, Drug addict parents who break the law almost everyday. Even thought things are hell over at...
2.3M 41.1K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
6.4K 33 29
love noun /lʌv/ an intense feeling of de...
5.2K 69 41
**the story is complete** This is my first story I shared with you guys and I really hope for you guys to like it , I worked so hard to make it perfe...