Wild Side [h.s au]

By roundcats

The world is in war again, military bases being the only safe haven for the population in the affected areas... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter & final note
New story!

Chapter 30

16.3K 599 645
By roundcats

Harry

You know that awkward situation when you're trying to avoid someone, and you've been doing it successfully for a few days but then you remember you're in war and you need that person to go on a mission with you? Yeah well, it's shit.

I've obviously been avoiding Elena and not a single second of it was pleasant. She might say what happened wasn't my fault, but I did that to her. I can't look at her without remembering her pained expression when she was clutching her stomach or the red marks from my grip on her neck. It doesn't matter I wasn't myself when I did it, it doesn't matter I was hallucinating, it's the fact I'm dangerous.

David snaps his fingers in front of my face. "Hey it's me, your dad, who is not getting any younger so could you focus?"

I purse my lips, realising I blanked out. "Speak, old man."

"I may be old, but I can still take you."

"Yeah alright grandpa." He smacks the back of my head. "Hey!"

"Purely educational," he says. "It's what us walking fossils do when you offsprings mess up."

I sigh, rolling my eyes. "Just tell me why I'm here."

"I had a talk with Louis and Liam, they will be joining you and Elena on this mission. Tori and Jess are coming too once I have a talk with them. Since Elena and you are the ones who will speak with Ace, I need to work out some final, but important details with the two of you."

The door bursts open and in rushes Elena, chest heaving, lips parted. "I'm-" she lifts her finger to give her a minute while she props her other hand against her knee "-running-" she takes a few deep breaths "-stairs-" another breath "-sorry."

"Oh-kay," David stretches the word. "Sit down child, you don't want me to give you CPR and this one right here can only kill you faster if he tries." 

I scoff. "Excuse me?"

"You heard me, boy, now sit down." He stands at the head of the table, his hands gripping the edges.

Elena is already sitting slumped in one of the chairs, legs sprawled in front of her, arms hanging on her sides as she slowly catches her breath. I pull a chair for myself and plop down on it, leaving one chair between us, not wanting to sit close.

"Well that doesn't hurt at all," she mutters, a frown on her face.

I glance at her, but quickly look away. "We don't have all day," I tell David.

"Right," he says. "Before I start I was thinking, there will be only six of you going so I can definitely add more soldiers, about fifty or even hundred to go with you, whatever it takes you just say the word and I'll-"

"Woah there, take is easy man," I say, lifting my hands. "We don't need the whole army, it'll look like an attack."

"Yeah right sorry, I'm just really excited you're doing this and I just want you to be as comfortable as you can, son, I know how you feel when you have to leave the base." He smiles nervously, looking proud which makes me smile as well, but I make sure to hide it.

"Don't worry, David, we'll be able to handle it," Elena says, smiling reassuringly. "It will be okay."

"Right, of course, silly me. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that this is our last - and when I say last, I mean last - chance to make an alliance and actually win this war. At least win against Vortex, that is. Do not under any circumstances make any snarky comments in front of Ace or much less call him nicknames." He looks at me when saying that. "Don't threaten him with any weapons or punch anyone." He looks at Elena this time. "And please, please don't mess this up." His eyes flick back and forth between us.

"Pfft, some instructions," I say. "We're not children. I don't make snarky comments or call people nicknames- oh wait, I do. . . okay I see your point, go on."

"Dumbass," David mumbles, making me glare at him. "I have faith in both of you. And for God's sake, make up! This situation annoys me." He motions between us. "Don't think I didn't notice there's something wrong between you. You two are supposed to be a team."

"Yes sir," Elena mumbles, standing up. "We won't- well, we'll try not to disappoint."

"Very well, move along now, I have a stack of cigars to smoke and the army to lead until you come back," he says. "With good news, I hope."

I stand up as well and nod, both of us leaving the room. Elena looks at me warily and I almost take a step toward her, but she turns her back on me, walking down the hallway. Well that doesn't hurt at all.

. . . .

It's completely silent in the vehicle. Elena is driving silently, focused on the road, Liam is sitting in the back seat silently, and I am silently observing the scene. It's all very. . . silent.

"Well this is awkwaaard," Liam sings. Elena and I stay silent.

"There's at least an hour and a half until we reach Rogue, come on people, staring at a wall is more interesting than this!" Liam complains. Again, we don't say anything.

"Oh okay I see how it is, let's all ignore Liam, well I think the fuck not," he continues. "I won't be sitting here and absorb all of your tension and negative energy just because you two had some stupid fight. If you had more sex, or sex at all for that matter, these things wouldn't happen, so stop sulking and work this shit out!"

"You know, if you need relationship advice, your personal love guru Liam is at your service-"

"Shut up!" Elena and I say in unison. 

"Alright, alright, we have some progress here!" Liam says, clapping twice. "Also you're busted, I totally knew you two are a thing, so suck it-"

"We don't have time for jokes, this is a serious mission- Liam for fuck's sake stop making faces and mocking me!" I snap at him, making him widen his eyes when he realises I've caught him. 

Liam snaps his fingers. "Yeah you tell me."

I sigh and turn again, shifting my gaze in front of me. I'm actually surprised with how well I'm handling being outside now, I don't know if it's because of Elena which makes me feel more at ease or am I actually starting to get better. Now that I think about it, the latter is also thanks to her, she gave me the push I needed and I managed to do the rest on my own. I am starting to get better.

"Oh come on, what kind of a bloody forest is this, shit always happens in the woods!" I say when I notice thick trees and shrubbery ahead of us, anxiousness already settling in the pit of my stomach.

"You've never been to Rogue before?" Elena finally speaks, but her eyes are still focused on the road. 

"Obviously not," I reply sarcastically. "I don't go out much if you haven't noticed."

"No need to pms, it was just a question, so lose the attitude."

Liam laughs. "She's right you know, you do have an attitude," he says but when I shoot him a glare, he lifts his hands defensively. "But that's none of my business, of course."

A scowl settles on my face as we slowly enter the shadows of the trees, my eyes constantly glancing around as if someone might attack us. I realise I do that a lot, but one can't blame me, something always happens and someone always gets hurt. Besides, not only we're on Rogue territory, but these woods are very close to the area where the South borders with the East, meaning Vortex territory is not that far away.

"He's like a grenade waiting to explode, look at him," Liam comments, leaning forward so his head is between our seats.

"My fist might explode in your face if you continue." I place my palm over his face and push him away, making him laugh and Elena smile, even though she tries to cover it up. 

The car in front of ours driven by Louis, with Tori and Jess as its passengers, swerves to the side sharply, avoiding something. Elena slams on the brake, stopping our vehicle, our bodies lunging forward from the force. My eyes widen when I realise what - or better yet - who is blocking the path. A group of Vortex soldiers are lined on the road in front of us, weapons in their hands, classic villainous expressions on their faces.

"How the fuck do they know where do we go every single bloody time?"  Louis asks in annoyance through the earpiece. "It's like we're famous and they are our fans."

"Beats me," I mumble. We have a traitor in the base, I'm now more than certain in that and I won't take it lightly this time. Whoever they are, they need to be eliminated.

"Oh man, Niall would love this," Liam notes with a grin. Elena and I look at him with blank faces. "Oh okay, not the right time, I get it."

"Why aren't they shooting?" Elena asks, a frown on her face. "They're just staring. . . creepily."

"Uuuh guys what should we do? Should we play nice and then slaughter them?" Tori asks.

"No one move," I instruct, drawing my handgun and loading it, my hand reaching to open the door.

"So what is your plan, get out there and have a staring contest until they move, I mean I bet they have a backup with them," Liam says.

"Yes, if that's what it takes to make them move," I argue. "I'm in no mood for them today."

"We're coming with." Elena unfastens her seatbelt, reaching for her gun. When she sees me looking at her, she raises her eyebrow. "Are we taking action or what?"

I smile slightly, opening the door and stepping out, a frown etching into my features. Elena and Liam follow my example, each of them standing on one side beside me. We walk up to them with our heads held high, our expressions completely blank. There are six soldiers, some of them holding hard expressions, some of them not hiding how amusing this it to them. We'll see who's going to be amused at the end. 

"Oh look who it is," one of the guys says and I almost burst out laughing, his voice sounding like he's on helium. "Nice to see you, Elena."

"Aw, missed my winning already? I mean since you can't win a duel for shit," she replies.

"Ha, take that bitch!" Liam cheers. 

"Why the hell are you blocking our path?" I demand, not in the mood for jokes. Even though I have a few up my sleeve, but still.

"You see, this is our territory," the guy squeaks, motioning to nothing specific. "We've claimed this route a while ago and unless you have an official permission from Seth, you can't pass through."

"Ah, that's unfortunate, but this is also the way we need to cross, so. . ." I flick my wrist, motioning for them to move. 

The guy lifts his hand, three guys and two girls with him instantly pointing their weapons at us. "Ah, that's unfortunate, but we can't let that happen."

"H, it's getting ugly, you sure you don't need us?" Louis asks.

"Wait for my sign and fucking run them over," I mumble so only he can hear me, a forced, creepy smile on my face as I stare at our enemies.

"We'd give you a minute or two to leave, but I feel like it'd be better you come with us," squeaky helium guy says, pointing at me. "I'm sure Seth would love to have a chat with you, especially you Elena. It'd be lovely if I brought you to him, wouldn't it?"

"Do you guys rehearse that shit?" Elena says, rolling her eyes. "The last guy who said those words ended up getting beat up with a rifle."

Liam and I snort, but they don't find her quick remark funny. Helium steps forward, his stance showing me he's ready for a fight. He lifts his hand again, his index finger circling in the air, signalling something. It isn't long until a handful of soldiers step out of the shadows, their rifles already aimed our way. Of course, they have a backup.

"Told you," Liam says quietly. "They think they're so slick."

I take a step backwards, my eyes glancing around, searching for a way out. We can't go back into the vehicle, it'd be too easy to kill us that way. There's a steep slope to my left and it'd surely hurt as hell if we throw ourselves down an incline, but we don't stand much chance. I'm sure we can lose them on foot and ask for someone to pick us up later. Their targets are Elena and me, the rest would be eliminated, I've seen them kill innocent people mercilessly, and I'm sure it would be no different now. I know when I'm defeated and there's no way in hell I'll risk my friend's lives.

"Louis, step on it." 

Louis does as I've instructed, the motor revving as he drives straight toward the six of them standing in front of us, his loud laughter heard through the mic. It all happens in a few seconds. Two soldiers getting run over by Louis while Elena, Liam and I shoot at the rest that scattered, taking down a few. Each of us finds a shelter, my eyes searching for my friends.

I see Liam punch one of the soldiers straight in the face, show him his middle finger, then finish him off with another punch. 

Elena is fighting with a girl as skilled as she is, their moves very similar considering they were trained in the same base. When the girl manages to kick the knife of out Elena's hand, her mouth falls open, a very angry expression replacing her shock. Yeah, the girl's dead, no one touches her knives. Elena tricks her and finishes her off with her famous throat punch, picking up her knife and turning around to take care of another one.

Louis is driving around and chasing them to run them over while Tori and Jess are shooting through their open windows. As much as all of this is fun to watch, we need to leave.

"Louis, Liam, get the hell away from here!" I shout, running toward Elena now that I have the chance, ignoring their questions coming through the earpiece. 

My hand grabs Elena's wrist, pulling her with me toward the slope. As I've expected, almost all of them follow us and my eyes meet hers, seeing no fear once again. My hands grab hers, guiding her arms around my neck, my arms then quickly wrapping around her body and pulling her toward me. 

"Hold on tight," I order and waste no time to jump down the incline, making sure my body takes the hit first. As it does, I stifle a groan, pain coursing through my back. We begin rolling down the hill in a high velocity, one second me being on top, Elena the other. Rocks, sharp twigs and branches scrape my skin as we tumble down, an occasional grunt in pain coming from Elena's mouth. A few bullets hit the ground near us, but we're moving too fast for any to hit us.

When we finally stop rolling and hit a solid level on the ground, I inhale deeply to catch my breath. My hands push my body weight off Elena's, my head feeling slightly dizzy, my body sore. I stand to my feet, giving her my hand to help her up and she reaches for it. I tug her hand and she stumbles to her feet, probably feeling dizzy as well.

"You okay?" I ask, my eyes searching her features, seeing a cut beside her left eyebrow, dirt sticking to her face, hair, and uniform. 

"I am," she replies, her chest still falling and rising at a quick pace. "What-"

Nearby voices cut her off and I realise those soldiers are determined to follow and ultimately, capture us. I don't let myself overthink much and once again grab her hand, tighter this time, pulling her body with me as I break into a run. I've dropped my handgun when we were falling down the hill, but I always bring a spare. At least three to be exact. 

The trees are thicker down here, the grass is higher and the ground has plenty of rocks and bumps in it. Perfect hiding place, but it will tire us out pretty fast if we'll be forced to run for more than a few minutes. I don't dare to look back and discourage myself, my legs carrying me away from the enemy at a fast pace. Elena is a pretty good runner, but still slower than me, almost falling down a few times as I tug at her hand. I decide to decrease my velocity, giving her time to catch up to me, refusing to let go of her hand. This is no time for splitting up.

We reach a flowing river, too wide and too fast for us to cross it, so I settle for running along it. That, and I can't swim. I'm trying so hard to focus on where I am, to focus on getting us away to notice I'm actually panicking to the point my heart is beating too fast even though I'm running, beads of sweat rolling down my neck and face. I'm sure I'm crushing Elena's hand, but I can't help myself, I can't risk her dying or getting caught. It's exactly what happened the last time, he died. 

"Harry. . ." Elena pants. "Please, slow down."

But I don't listen, familiar images flashing before my eyes. No, no, no, this is the worst time. It's not real, it's not real. Images of the forest I was in on that dreadful day mix with the one I'm stuck in right now, shifting as if someone keeps turning the light switch off and on. One second I'm here and the other I'm there, and ironically, in both situations I'm trying to protect someone. I just hope I don't fail this time. 

I suddenly acknowledge my empty hand, realising Elena is not beside me anymore. Between my flashbacks and absolute panic I've lost her, I fail to notice a low waterfall just in front of me, heaps of water cascading down into a lake. It's too late for me to react when I slip, my body falling down, Elena's scream being the last thing I hear before I hit the water.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.3K 1.4K 38
Emma Giordano has lived a pretty simple life. She's captain of the girl's volleyball team and is a part of the girl's basketball team. Her brothers b...
133K 13.8K 37
When her favorite bakery is at risk of being shut down, Charm Cunningham takes it upon herself to save it with the help of the bakery's newest (and a...
965K 38.3K 48
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
15.2K 145 5
NSFW Alphabet Motionless style. UNLESS STATED, this book is FICTION.. meaning not real. a couple of things are real and have been confirmed but for t...