Of Love, Signs and Logic (Com...

By random_insight

What if aside from being worlds apart, one acts on impulse and believe in signs and the other depends on logi... More

Prologue
1 - The Pluviophiles
2 - Home is Where The Heart Is
2.1 The Choices We Make
3 - Melancholy and....
3.1 Serendipity....Almost
4 - Operation PEACE & QUIET - Day One
5 - Plan B
6 - Face Off
7 - What Now?
Commercial break
8 - Off We Go
9 - The Hills Are Alive
10 - Happy Camperssss
11 - Soliloquy
12 - Unang Hirit
13 - Newbie Hiker
14 - Truce
15 - Small Talks
16 - Wildflowers
17.1 May Something,....
17.2 ...Something Na Yan
18 - Homestretch
19 - Reality Bites
20 - Defensive
21 - The Village
22 - The Banquet
23 - Weh, Di Nga?
24 - Up and About
25 - Getting Even
26 - Unexpected Wisdom
27 - Making Amends
28 - A Quiet Night
29 - The Day After Tomorrow
30 - Rain
Commercial for chapter 30
31 - Questions
32 - One Last Fine Day
33 - Bamboo Scripts
34 - Of Signs
35 - Of Logic
36 - The Reveal
37 - Catching Up
38 - Day Job
39 - He Said, She Said
40 - Princess Anna
41 - I Call You, You Call Me
42 - Roadtrip
44 -Musings
45 - She
46 - Man from Mars, Woman from Venus
47 - Dinner Date?
48 - Akyat ng Ligaw
49 - Day Off
50 - Curveball
51 - Ripples
52 - Of Lemons and Apple Juice
53 - Richard James Faulkerson, Ph.D.
Last Commercial Gap (not an update)
54 - Baby Steps
55 - One Year in the Biz
56 - When It Rains, It Pours
57 - Ex Who?
58 - Time Out
59 - The Journey
60 - Of Love
Epilogue atbp

43 - Of Sunset and Dawn

7.6K 539 54
By random_insight

Photo credit: will provide later

A/N: Sorry for the late update, another difficult chapter to write.

Meng saw him and waved. He found it hard to breath but he had to approach her although he can't quite look her in the eyes, afraid of what she might see in them.

Aware of what she's doing to him as she watch the unreadable expressions on his face (he's trying to avoid looking at her), she asked innocently "Ricardo, may problema ba tayo? Bakit pulang-pula mukha mo hanggang tenga mo? Are you okay? Nilalagnat ka?"

She was about to feel his forehead when he gently warded off her hand. "No! Don't touch me! I mean, walk, we need to walk. See, the sun is about to set, do you want to go for a walk on the beach?" God, I'm sounding incoherent.

"Alam mo, nakakatawa ka! Kung makikita mo lang sarili mo."

"Puwes kung ayaw mo ng distracted na kausap, I suggest you do something...."

"Wen manong ka talaga!" She got a beachwear dress from her tote bag and put it on. Quits na tayo thinking of that afternoon when he took his shirt off. "Puwede na po ito?"

He was only able to be calm himself after they have already walked for some time. And still, he almost missed hearing it when she inquired about the place, still too pre-occupied with her image earlier which is now imprinted on his mind. Paano kakalma?

"What's beyond those mountains?"

"Still Zambales, I guess. But I read that's another way to reach the cove. To hike those mountains."

"I'm glad we took the boat ride."

He smiled.. "Why do I know you're going to say that. Ganon ba ka-ordeal ang dinaanan mo sa hike natin sa Mindoro?"

"I appreciated our trek going up but I don't want a repeat of my emotions going down. Ganon!" she felt herself blushing.

A companionable silence fell between them as they stroll along the beach, stopping and picking a stone or shell here and there, each one lost in their own thoughts, but still enjoying the company. They found a boat by the shore not far away, docked on the sand, and decided that this is a good spot as any to watch the sunset.

They sat on the beach as they gaze as the sun starts to dip on the horizon. For her, no two sunsets are the same. Today, because of the amount of clouds, the sky is taking on the shades of pinks and blues, more than peaches then gradually turning into deep orange as the giant ball of fire slowly disappears in the horizon. What remained was a blaze of color lending its glow on the lone boat at the beach.

Their silence continued as if both of them had the tacit agreement to just enjoy the moment and let the sunset take the center stage. For her, this comfortable silence is what cemented their friendship like no other moments can. When you can sit still together and not be obliged to talk or fill the silence with unnecessary chatter. There are only few people with whom she can enjoy silence and sge's glad he's one of them. She was reminded of the special moment that they shared watching the rain in that nook at the rain forest.

He seems to be thinking of the same thing when he inched closer so he could put his arm around her and she could lay her head on his shoulder as they continued to watch the show of colors in the sky.

Sunset is her most favorite time of the day in the beach because for 15 minutes, you get a front seat at watching one of the most spectacular wonders of nature. What makes it doubly special today and probably the most memorable sunsets to date is because she spent it with him in comfortable silence.

"Thank you for bringing me here." she said after some time.

"Do you know that this is my first sunset on a beach?"

"Really? Eh di tao ka na ngayon?" she asked, suddenly teary eyed.

"I just want you to know that I'm glad I got to spend it with you."

That's when the tears fell down. And she can't seem to stop.

Alarmed, he turned and gently held her face. "Wait! Are you crying? Did I say something wrong?"

"No! Oh, I don't know! I guess beauty does that to me sometimes."

He gently wiped the tears with his fingers.

"How do you do the pinky swear again?"

She demonstrated, wondering what he had in mind.

"First to watch the rain together in a rain forest, and now first to watch the sunset on a beach together. I hope that I will make you cry because of beautiful moments like this. Hoping for more firsts with you."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

She thought nothing would top what she's feeling. She couldn't have been more wrong. He leaned and kissed her forehead again and made the beautiful moment more special.

"Ricardo?"

"Hmmm?"

"Nakakarami ka na."

"Dalawa pa lang."

A/N: Hindi lang si RFJ and NDCM ang may 'first times'

------------------------------------------

When they came back, there was already a small bonfire at the beach near their cottage and the three guys are huddled around it, enjoying the grilled food that the resort served.

This was reminiscent of the scene at the campsite that first night of their trek sans the tents. But this time, RJ is not sulking in the corner but taking part in the conversation.

Kuya Wally and Kuya Jose took it upon themselves to regal Meng of the funny stories of RJ when he was a kid growing up in Sta. Rosa as the youngest of two children. Not to be outdone, Paolo had his own stories to tell of a young Menggay growing up in Bulacan also as the youngest of two sisters. Embarrassed, the two can only laugh at the antics of the three guys as they try to outdo the stories of each other, some of which are obviously exaggeration.

Hearing all these stories, Meng can't help but think how different from the makulit and pilyo young Tisoy they pictured him to be to the brooding, serious and masungit RJ that she came to know in the mountains and would still surface from time to time. He still remains a mystery that she needs to unravel. Then she would glance up and find him already watching her, always with that intent gaze that never fails to melt her inside. And all thoughts will be forgotten.

Soon it was time to retire for the night. He walked her to her cottage to bid her goodnight. They agreed to walk again at dawn the next day.

----------------------------------

It was still dawn when RJ found her already on the beach. She seems to be deep in thought, just staring at the sea. He approached her, picked up small rocks and started  throwing and making them bounce on the water.

"Good morning. Malalim yata iniisip mo."

"Slight, just deciding on something."

Sensing that she's ready for a serious talk. "Meng, puwede magtanong?"

"Okay lang ako muna? Bakit ka nagpunta sa bahay?" She asked the question that's been bothering her ever since she learned of the visit he paid her parents earlier in the week while she was away.

"Bakit hindi? Ano ba ang kinuwento nila?"

"They did not tell me anything, it was Yaya Pe who told me. Care to give the details?"

"I thought it just proper to introduce myself since we spent a week in a remote area and as it looks like we'll be spending more time together."

"I told them we're just friends when they asked me."

"Your father is a very astute man. I think he guessed my intentions when he asked me kung kaibigan lang ba ang pakay ko sa 'yo."

"Anong sinagot mo?"

"That question actually surprised me and made me think. Meng, I'll be honest with you as I was honest with your father. I'll be lying if I say that I want us to be just friends. I thought I did. But that's the RJ who wants to stay safe on the sidelines."

He stopped walking and turned to face her. Taking both her hands, "Meng, look at me."

"Pardon my being forward but I just want to make one thing clear. From the first moment I saw you, I was far from indifferent to you. Irritated, frustrated maybe but never indifferent. You saw how I tried to push you away when I assumed that you were starting to like me. That's me fighting my growing attraction and  feelings for you. And as proven by my reaction when I saw you at the beach yesterday, there's nothing platonic with how I feel about you."

"Pero sabi mo nga, we move in different circles. RJ,  ang dami mo pang hindi alam sa mundong ginagalawan ko. Pa'no kung hindi mo matanggap yung ibang makikita mo? Don't you think we need more time as friends?" she protested.

"Menggay, I don't need two months or three months or to know more about your world to understand what I feel. Believe me, if you only know the fears that made me pushed you away when I first felt the attraction and yes, the spark as you called it, you would understand my struggles to fight this. I really did. Sabi ko it's enough to admire you from a distance pero di ko pala kaya. Let's just say there were events that made me face my feelings. To put it simply, I like you and I care about you."

She was full of mixed feelings that she can no longer look into his eyes, so she had to look down, afraid that her emotions will mirror his and she's not ready yet. This is all happening to soon. As much as she want to say something, she doesn't know how to respond. She can't find the words so she remained silent. She need to think.

"I'm willing for us to be friends first, if that's what will make you feel comfortable as we get to know each other. No pressure, I can wait. Kailangan ko lang sabihin kasi hindi ko na kaya. But I also have one request."

"Ano yun?" I hope he heard me because I can only hear the loud beating of my heart.

"If at some point, you think that what you feel for me is only friendship, then I beg you, please tell me at once to spare us both the misery."

An awkward silence came between them. 

"Menggay, galit ka?" he asked. While he is encouraged that she still allows him to continue to hold her hands, he has to know how she's taking this. He can't believe he was finally able to say how he feels. Now the waiting begins on what will happen next. He has not been as nervous as he is right now with his fate hanging in the balance.

He asked his favorite question, "What happens after this?"

She's still looking down with her foot drawing patterns in the wet sand.

"Alam mo Meng, it's up to you, I will respect whatever you say. Puwede na kong magpaalam sa tatay mo bukas kung papayagan mo ko. Or you can define how we continue with the friendship in the meantime. Kung ayaw mo na rin muna kong makita after what I told you, I will understand."

Still no response.

Trying to gauge if the answer is negative, he tried another tactic. He bent to look at her face, and with mocked seriousness, he told her "At kung hindi mo na rin ako crush, tatanggapin ko nang maluwag sa dibdib. Promise!"

That made her look up and hit his arm. "Sira!"

Relieved that she's smiling again, para siyang nabunutan ng tinik. Hindi siya galit. The emotions that he saw in her eyes before she tried to hide it gave him courage. "May isa pa kong pakiusap."

"Ano na naman?"

"Kung dadaanin mo sa sign, puwede bigyan mo ko ng clue, para alam ko how can I increase the probability of it happening?"

"Mag-jetski na lang tayo. Bayad mo kasi nakinig ako sa pagka-cheesy mo!"

"Ganon? Sige pero ganito na lang, pag nakabitaw ka, magpapaalam na ko sa tatay mo?"

"Eh kung ikaw ang ihulog ko? Tara na!"

"Sagutin mo muna tanong ko, pang-ilan ba talaga ko sa listahan ng crush mo?"

"Ricardo, umayos ka! Malapit ka na talagang bumingo!"

A/N: Huy Menggay!  Ano yung sagot mo. A, B, or C?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

332K 2.7K 8
(Montenegro Brothers: 1st Generation) Montenegro Dynasty 2: Scarlet Crawford is secretly inlove with her bestriend, Mavien Montenegro, who is inlove...
567K 15.9K 30
Transferee at nag-iisang Pinay na estudyante si Mara Santacruz sa Sakura High School na matatagpuan sa Osaka, Japan. Dahil magkakilala ang mga estudy...
223K 13.4K 10
Athena wants to be an architect to fulfill her late father's dream, but she secretly loves music and wants to be a composer. At West Town University...
18.6K 1K 23
Yndrah Alaianth Xanther- a respected professor and successful doctor in medicine. Known for her sharp mind and distant manner. Her cold demeanor echo...