Of Love, Signs and Logic (Com...

By random_insight

What if aside from being worlds apart, one acts on impulse and believe in signs and the other depends on logi... More

Prologue
1 - The Pluviophiles
2 - Home is Where The Heart Is
2.1 The Choices We Make
3 - Melancholy and....
3.1 Serendipity....Almost
4 - Operation PEACE & QUIET - Day One
5 - Plan B
6 - Face Off
7 - What Now?
Commercial break
8 - Off We Go
9 - The Hills Are Alive
10 - Happy Camperssss
11 - Soliloquy
12 - Unang Hirit
13 - Newbie Hiker
14 - Truce
15 - Small Talks
16 - Wildflowers
17.1 May Something,....
17.2 ...Something Na Yan
18 - Homestretch
19 - Reality Bites
20 - Defensive
21 - The Village
22 - The Banquet
23 - Weh, Di Nga?
24 - Up and About
25 - Getting Even
26 - Unexpected Wisdom
27 - Making Amends
28 - A Quiet Night
29 - The Day After Tomorrow
30 - Rain
Commercial for chapter 30
31 - Questions
32 - One Last Fine Day
33 - Bamboo Scripts
35 - Of Logic
36 - The Reveal
37 - Catching Up
38 - Day Job
39 - He Said, She Said
40 - Princess Anna
41 - I Call You, You Call Me
42 - Roadtrip
43 - Of Sunset and Dawn
44 -Musings
45 - She
46 - Man from Mars, Woman from Venus
47 - Dinner Date?
48 - Akyat ng Ligaw
49 - Day Off
50 - Curveball
51 - Ripples
52 - Of Lemons and Apple Juice
53 - Richard James Faulkerson, Ph.D.
Last Commercial Gap (not an update)
54 - Baby Steps
55 - One Year in the Biz
56 - When It Rains, It Pours
57 - Ex Who?
58 - Time Out
59 - The Journey
60 - Of Love
Epilogue atbp

34 - Of Signs

6.4K 533 61
By random_insight

"In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to our effort." - Peter McWillaims

A/N: In life, there are Red, Yellow and Green lights. We see signs that tell us if the answer to our prayers is either Stop, Proceed or Wait. Wala lang, I made that up.

"Ano Menggay, may kailangan bang panagutan yung Amerikanong hilaw na yon? Ilalabas ko na ba ang shotgun ko?"

"Tay, wala kang shotgun." Meng's thoughts were interrupted as she absent-mindedly gazed at the passing scenery.

"Eh kasi iyak ka nang iyak kanina, tapos ngayon naman para kang namatayan sa lungkot. Dalawang oras na tayong nasa biyahe, ayaw mo pa ring magkuwento. Pinayagan ko kayo sa kalokohan n'yo tapos ganyan ang makikita ko? Paolo, ano ba nangyayari diyan sa pinsan mo? "

"Wala po tito, pagod lang po siya siguro, halos 8 hrs po kasi yung hike namin pababa ng bundok. Ano ba Meng, umayos ka na kasi! Magkakasakit ka niyan. Ni hindi mo halos ginalaw yung food mo kanina. Kami lang nila kuya Wally ang kumain."

"Tingnan mo? Naku, pasalamat yang bisugo na yan at di siya ang naghatid sa inyo kung hindi makikita niya! Menggay, natandaan mo ba yung sinabi ko sa 'yo noong nag-aaral ka? Square root muna bago humarot!"

"Tay, matagal na po akong tapos sa square root at hanggang ngayon hindi pa po ako humaharot. Namiss ko lang po kayo ni nanay!"

"Hindi ako naniwala! Hindi para sa amin yung iyak mo kanina. Sa presinto ka magpaliwanag. TIngnan natin kung hindi ka magkuwento sa nanay mo."

The truth is she's not really feeling well physically and emotionally and these questions from her father are not helping.

Although she's grateful that her father was already waiting for them at the Ranger Station as it saved them time, she's not prepared to answer his questions or from anybody for that matter, especially if it's about Richard.

She recalled what transpired at the Ranger Station.

After a brief introductions with Kuya Wally and Ligawon, Kuya Wally told them to go ahead and he'll take care of things at the HQ and DENR for them. She hugged him to say goodbye, not knowing if they will see each other again. This is it! This is really goodbye from anybody or anything related to him.

They were then ushered to a waiting van. All that time, her father was just curiously observing her. She learned that her parents arrived at San Jose, Mindoro that morning and are now checked-in at a resort. They just took their chance that she will be returning today as she promised. They will be taking the Sunday morning flight back to Manila.

And now, after two hours on the road, she's really moving farther and farther away from him. Will I see him again?

After a few more minutes of bumpy ride, they arrived at a resort in San Jose, to the waiting arms of her mother.

"Menggay ko!!!", she was engulfed in a very tight embrace by her mother.

"Nay! Na-miss kita Nay!" I'm going to cry again. Bakit pag sa studio, ang hirap kong paiyakin? Ano'ng ginawa mo sa akin Ricardo?

"Papatayin mo ako sa niyerbiyos, bata ka! Alam mo bang halos isang linggo akong di nakatulog? Kung ako ang nakausap mo noon, hinding-hindi ako papayag sa plano mo! Pinigilan lang ako ng tatay mo. Kung hindi, dapat Thursday pa lang andito na kami. Patingin nga ng bunso ko! Hindi ka ba pumayat? Hindi ka nagkasakit doon? Nakakain ka ba nang maayos? Ano ang tinulugan mo? Wala bang masakit sa katawan mo?"

"We're okay, Nay. Pagod lang. Pero na-miss ko po talaga kayo!" she said teary-eyed as she hugged her again.

"Ayan, Nanay! Kanina pa umiiyak yan. Ikaw ang mag-interview." her father interjected.

"Mamaya na yan, Teodoro. Kumain muna tayo. Nagpaluto na ako."

They ordered her favorite dishes, but try as she might, she just moved her food around her plate.

It was Kuya Poch who answered most of their questions and gave details about their trip but avoided mentioning about what they really wanted to hear, the reason behind her sadness. Meng requested to retire early to their room with the excuse that she's really tired from the hike.

Her mother and father can only exchange looks. May nagbago sa anak nila. She's usually full of stories coming back from her out-of-town trips.

She did retire early but found it difficult to sleep despite her fatigue. It was already after midnight when she finally dozed off.

-----------

Their flight is at 8:30am, but she was already awake at 5am. Realizing that they are at a beach resort, she got up to explore the beach. This is one of her favorite times of the day in a beach, when it's no longer night but it's not yet day, and the serenity of the water is inviting.

She likes it when there are no one around and she has the beach all for herself. But for some reason, the sand, the sea and the sunrise did not hold any attraction this morning.

She would have liked to walk on the beach but instead, she just sat on the sand, looking at nothing in particular, thinking of mountains and dimples .

"Meng." she did not notice that kuya Poch was already sitting beside her. She looked at him and returned her gaze back to the horizon.

"Okay ka lang ba talaga? Nag-aalala na sila Tita."

"I already miss him." she admitted.

"Hindi obvious. Promise, hIndi talaga halata! Natulog ka ba o inisip mo lang siya?" Paolo asked, the concern evident in his voice.

"Tama ba yung ginawa ko kuya Poch? Paano kung hindi na nga kami magkita?" she said finally voicing out her fears.

"Sorry Meng, hindi kita sinusumbatan pero sinong may kasalanan? You had your chance to tell him who you are. Yung totoo, humingi ka ng sign 'no?"

"Mali ba? Dati ko namang ginagawa yon diba?"

"Wala lang Menggay, feeling ko lang, you might be overdoing this sign thingy. Parang ikaw na ang nag-decide para sa inyong dalawa. You did not give him a choice. Sa tingin mo matutuwa siya na hindi ka man lang nagpaalam? Tapos, ikaw ang nahihirapan ngayon."

She has no response to that.

"I'm not against signs basta i-balance mo lang. Kasi, feeling ko lang, hindi kaya pag lumaon, yang mga signs mong yan ang magpapatalo sa 'yo?"

-----------

She still has no appetite for breakfast and her parents were becoming worried. To divert her attention from whatever she's thinking, they did all the talking and kept her up-to-date with what happened while she was away.

She learned from them that her name trended several times during the past week, with her supporters wondering where she was and why she did not made her presence felt during her break. Only a tweet from her manager, saying that she's enjoying her vacation, silenced down the clamor for information of her whereabouts.

Soon it was time to leave for their flight. She stayed silent during the ride to the airport. Being a Sunday morning and with people still enjoying the island for the day, the flight was not full. So apart from a few curious glances, there was no sign that she was recognized. Or even if she was recognized, only a few outside the airline crew requested for selfie with her. It was just the Mendoza family enjoying an out-of-town family time.

However, arriving at Terminal 3 back in Manila, she was met at the gate by a ground crew saying that a few reporters and fans were already present outside the terminal waiting for her. Somebody had tweeted that she took a morning flight from Mindoro.

She was saved from any ambush interview when upon exiting the gate, Meng suddenly collapsed and fainted.

-------------

Meng woke up in a private hospital room. Her mother and kuya Poch were with her in the room.

"What happened?" she asked looking at the IV line at her wrist

"Hinimatay ka sa airport. At nasa breaking news ka na ng GMA TV kanina. Sosyal ka insan, ambulance ang sumundo sa 'yo sa airport! Bukas, sigurado nasa mga tabloids ka na." her cousin really has a way of summarizing things.

"You got us worried, anak. Although sabi naman ng doctor, over fatigue lang na may kasamang konting dehydration. But you need to stay here for two more days so they can run more tests just to be sure. Don't worry, hindi namin sinabi kung saan ka talaga galing."

"Sorry po, Nay at pinag-alala ko pa kayo."

"Menggay, hindi ko alam kung anong nangyari sa 'yo doon. I trust your cousin when he said that you weren't in any danger. But sooner or later, you have to tell me what happened. It's not like you to be this quiet. Nagkasakit ka na tuloy. Nag-aalala kami ng tatay mo. Ang dami niyang theories tungkol doon sa RJ na nakasama n'yo."

"Tama tita, si RJ ang dahilan kaya nagkaganyan si Menggay. Ganito po kasi yon...."

"Kuya Poch, tumahimik ka. Nay, huwag po kayong maniniwala."

"Anak, pinakita ng tatay mo ang picture niya. In fairness, may hitsura."

"Nay naman!" she felt herself blushing, the first sign of color in her cheeks since they returned.

"Basta tandaan mo, dito lang si nanay anak pag handa ka na magkuwento."

-----------

She was visited by her manager and the crew of the show the next morning bearing flowers, fruits and well-wishes cards that arrived at TAPE's office from her supporters since no visitors were allowed without clearance from her parents. Her ate and brother-in-law came in the afternoon. Except for them, visitors were limited so she could rest.

Her doctor granted a very short interview to the press to allay the fears of her fans about her health. Still, the tabloids speculated about the reason of her hospitalization and where she really came from. After scanning the headlines, she gave up. Nothing's changed.

She'd rather read the get-well-soon cards that came this morning with the flowers. Her room is starting to look like a flower shop. There were all sorts of flowers, from roses, to daisies, carnations, gerbera, even Tulips.

She would gladly exchange them all with one stem of kalabasa flower, rough stem and all.

Thoughts of kalabasa flowers made her pull up the few pictures she had of him from her phone.

Kumusta na kaya siya? Magaling na kaya? Galit kaya siya sa akin? Ano kaya reaction niya sa sulat ko? Kailan kaya balik nila ng city?

Ano ba Meng? Mentally shaking herself, she stopped her thoughts and turned off her phone. She really need to come out of this mood.

I have decisions to finalize, things to do, job contracts to fulfill.

Tama si Kuya Poch, I had my chance but I chose to rely on signs. I requested for a happy accident, then I should wait.

"O Menggay, makakauwi na raw tayo bukas. Okay naman results ng mga tests." kuya Poch came in with the good news.

"Buti naman, namimiss ko na yung room ko."

"Huwag mo na ko lokohin, iba ang namimiss mo. Pero ikaw namimiss na ng mga fans mo. Did you know that since we arrived, you haven't posted a single tweet? Miss ka na nila. Kung puwede nga siguro, baka nag-camp out na sila sa labas nitong hospital."

May point. She has avoided posting anything since they returned. So later that night.

@chef_elize:

Mga bes, I'm back!

8:30PM - 04 May 2016

-------------

After being discharged from the hospital, the rest of the week was uneventful. She stayed at home, just catching up on things, reviewing contract for the new season of the show, reviewing the script of the teleserye, and reviewing the university application and program guidelines.

She's now finally ready to make a decision. She discussed it with her parents. They did not question the whys, just assuring her of their support. She told kuya Poch as much, when he asked.

"Nakapag-decide ka na ba?"

"Oo"

"And the verdict is?"

"I'll sign up for the next season of the show with Ryzza, I will say no to the teleserye, siguro as guest pa puwede, and write the university and see if I can defer my application for another year."

"Puwede bang itanong kung bakit ganyan ang decision mo?"

"Simple, paano kami magkikita kung pupunta ko ng Australia?"

A/N: Tapos na po ang ating daily journal, the pace will be faster from here on. Kumusta kaya si Tisoy?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

216K 4.5K 53
"Here, Under the Stars... What if our paths crossed again?" Four years after her heart got broken, successful music producer and CEO, Magui Feola, we...
4.9K 80 41
When you love, maraming circumstances kung saan you decide on taking chances. Chances kung saan magiging masaya ka, or o mananakit ka ng iba. Sabi ng...
17.8K 992 23
Yndrah Alaianth Xanther- a respected professor and successful doctor in medicine. Known for her sharp mind and distant manner. Her cold demeanor echo...
2.2K 183 74
I never thought na tatanongin niya ako kung puwedeng manligaw. Akala ko nagbibiro lang siya. And a few days passed, nalaman kong seryoso pala siya. I...