Of Love, Signs and Logic (Com...

By random_insight

What if aside from being worlds apart, one acts on impulse and believe in signs and the other depends on logi... More

Prologue
1 - The Pluviophiles
2 - Home is Where The Heart Is
2.1 The Choices We Make
3 - Melancholy and....
3.1 Serendipity....Almost
4 - Operation PEACE & QUIET - Day One
5 - Plan B
6 - Face Off
7 - What Now?
Commercial break
8 - Off We Go
9 - The Hills Are Alive
10 - Happy Camperssss
11 - Soliloquy
12 - Unang Hirit
13 - Newbie Hiker
14 - Truce
15 - Small Talks
16 - Wildflowers
17.1 May Something,....
17.2 ...Something Na Yan
18 - Homestretch
19 - Reality Bites
20 - Defensive
21 - The Village
22 - The Banquet
23 - Weh, Di Nga?
24 - Up and About
25 - Getting Even
26 - Unexpected Wisdom
27 - Making Amends
28 - A Quiet Night
29 - The Day After Tomorrow
Commercial for chapter 30
31 - Questions
32 - One Last Fine Day
33 - Bamboo Scripts
34 - Of Signs
35 - Of Logic
36 - The Reveal
37 - Catching Up
38 - Day Job
39 - He Said, She Said
40 - Princess Anna
41 - I Call You, You Call Me
42 - Roadtrip
43 - Of Sunset and Dawn
44 -Musings
45 - She
46 - Man from Mars, Woman from Venus
47 - Dinner Date?
48 - Akyat ng Ligaw
49 - Day Off
50 - Curveball
51 - Ripples
52 - Of Lemons and Apple Juice
53 - Richard James Faulkerson, Ph.D.
Last Commercial Gap (not an update)
54 - Baby Steps
55 - One Year in the Biz
56 - When It Rains, It Pours
57 - Ex Who?
58 - Time Out
59 - The Journey
60 - Of Love
Epilogue atbp

30 - Rain

6.2K 594 0
By random_insight

Photo credit: EB Kalyeserye.

A/N: Sorry for the late update, this has been one of the most difficult chapters to write, will take care of typos later.

For some reason, comment is not working for this section, don't know why. you can comment on the next one (commercial)

"Rain gently falls, whenever we say goodbye

Falling like when you're out of site

Rain follows me even in my bed

And rain are the tears that I shed

There'll be no sunshine, in my life until you say you're mine o mine...."

"Ano ba yang kinakanta mo Jose? Nakita mo na ngang alalang-alala na itong si Paolo"

"Di mo alam yun? Rain ni Donna Cruz, na pinsan ni Sunshine Cruz, na pamangkin ni Tirso Cruz III. Ikaw naman, kaya nga inaaliw ko si Paolo! Asan na ba kasi si RJ? Lumakad na tayo."

"Paolo, baka may naalala ka naman, hindi ba talaga nagpaalam si Meng? Ang saya-saya pa no'n kanina ah"

"Yun na nga! Kasama ulit niya yung dalawang bata na parati niyang kasama. Hindi naman sinabi kung saan sila pupunta. Ang lakas-lakas ng ulan. Baka nadulas na yun, o nahulog na. MENGGAY! Nasaan ka na?!!!!"

"Huwag ka munang ngumawa, sigurado may plano na si Tisoy. Si Menggay pa, pababayaan niya?" Wally said to comfort him.

"Eto na si RJ."

RJ arrived with Ligawon and several people from the village.  "Siya ang tatay nung dalawang bata, si Gaamyan. Papunta na rin si Apo Kalo, sasama sila sa paghahanap."

"Anong plano, RJ?" Kuya Jose asked. He has never seen RJ look this grim and determined.

"Tatlong grupo tayo. Kuya Wally, Paolo, sumama kayo sa grupo ni Apo Kalo. Kuya Jose, sa grupo ka ni Gaamyan. Dito kami ni Ligawon sa pangatlong grupo. Kailangang matagpuan natin sila bago gumabi. Eto ang garbage bags, puwede n'yong gawing raincoats, proteksiyon sa ulan."

Paolo approached RJ. "RJ, baka ano na ang nangyari kay Meng, natatakot ako!"

"Huwag mong isipin yan kuya Paolo, Meng is intelligent. She will not take unnecessary risks and endanger her life and the lives of the two girls" he assured Kuya Paolo trying to allay his own growing fears.

"Kung sino man makakita sa kanila, magpauna agad kayo dito sa village para masabihan ang ibang grupo."

RJ looked at his watch. It was already half-past 2. They only have three hours at the most, before it starts to get dark. Then it will be more difficult.

No, he cannot afford to have these negative thoughts. Mahahanap namin sila.

--------

His group took the direction of the rain forest, while the two other groups took the stream going to the river, and the route going back to the direction of the trail the first day they came here.

They were now way past the hot spring when they struck gold. One of the men found Meng's cap, which meant that they came here. Then he suddenly remembered something and asked Ligawon a question. He consulted with the other 3 in their language. Ligawon then pointed to the route up another peak. RJ hopes his gut feel is right.

Once they reach a clearing surrounded by trees, they dispersed in different directions. Soon, a shout came from one of the men. Ligawon immediately followed him, with the rest on his heels. 

RJ heaved a sigh of relief when he saw Ligawon walking with the two girls. Humina na ang ulan. He signaled RJ on where to find Meng.

--------

RJ found her safe and sound in a nook with leaves and shrubs providing shelter. She was sitting at the roots of a tree, large enough to sit on.  He noticed that the enclosure provided protection from the rain, keeping them dry.

Feeling nervous and happy at the same time, he immediately approached her.

"Are you okay? Wala bang nangyari sa 'yo?" He held her face, inspecting if there were bruises.

"I'm okay. Nasalubong mo na sila?" she cannot explain her happiness at seeing him. They are safe.

"Oo,  kasama na ni Ligawon yung dalawang bata."

"Nahihiya ako sa kanila. Nadamay ko pa sila sa kalokohan ko."

"What's important is that you're safe." He sat down with her and started removing the garbage bag that protected him from the rain

"Teka, teka! Anong ginagawa mo?", she covered her eyes with her fingers separated. She had a glimpse of RJ pulling the garbage bag over his head which, thankfully revealed a jacket and a shirt. He removed the jacket and gave it to her.

"Wear this." helping her to put his jacket on.

"Paano ka?" she saw that he's now only wearing the dark blue t-shirt that he had on this morning.

"Mas kailangan mo yan at mas manipis ang katawan mo. I can manage."

They were about to leave when heavy rains started pouring again.

"Anong gagawin natin ngayon?"

"I have a plan."

"Game, let's go! What's the plan?" she asked in suspense.

"We wait." he said, his face dead serious.

"We wait? That's the plan?"

"Meng, hindi natin puwedeng sugurin ang ganitong kalakas na ulan. Sigurado namang sasabihin ni Ligawon kung nasaan tayo. At least they will know that you are safe." Looking at his watch again, it's now almost 4pm, they still have more than an hour of daylight. Kaya pa. He saw that she suddenly turned quiet.

"What are you thinking?"

"Wala, naisip ko lang yung dalawang bata. What if you did not find us and we had to spend the night here? I shouldn't have done this. It was irresponsible of me. "

"Hindi mo alam na mangyayari 'to. At least you found this shelter."

"Hindi ka galit? You told me not to cause any trouble."

"Will it help the situation kung papagalitan kita? Mamaya na lang. Pero saan nga ba kayo dapat pupunta?" It will not help her to know how anxious and tensed he was on the way here, afraid of what he'll find.

"I asked them if there are wildflowers around this area and they led me here. Richard, sana nakita mo! Wild orchids of different colors!" For a while, the excitement was back in her eyes.

"I guessed as much."

"Pa'no mo nahulaan?"

"That you would try to find flowers na tatalo sa bulaklak ng kalabasa na binigay ko sa kagabi?" He saw her smile at that. "Wild guess, but we went to the hot spring first then I saw some sort of wildflowers on the ground,so I asked them and the rest is history." He noticed that she's shivering despite wearing the jacket.

"Give me your hand."

"Bakit? Ayoko nga!"

"Why? Dahil may kuryente?"

"You felt it too?" remembering the electric charge she feels everytime he held her hand.

"There's a scientific explanation for that. It's static charges"

"Don't you have a single romantic bone in your body? Others call it spark."

"Then give me your hand and we'll see" he took her hand, trying very hard not to smile.

"Why?"

"Meng, you've been out for hours in the cold and rain. We just want to prevent hypothermia." He started rubbing her hands, one by one, creating friction, producing heat.

She felt the warmth starting to spread, starting with her cheeks. "I can do this."

"It's faster this way. Ang lamig ng mga kamay mo. You know for a first timer in the mountains and rainforest, you seem pretty calm." he remarked to distract her attention.

"Because it's raining."

He stopped at that. "What is it about the rain?" Could it be?

"I like watching the rain, it soothes me. I like watching the leaves get soaked by the water. You know what? I even like the smell of the the moisture in the air the first time it rains. Does rain even have a smell?"

"Petrichor"

"Anong sabi mo?"

"Petrichor is the pleasant smell in the air after a long dry spell. It may not apply in rain forests where it rain almost everyday, but that's what you call it."

(A/N: from   zaredsoul, thank you for the comment/info)  

"Does that mean you're also....?"

"Yes, you're talking to a certified pluviophile."

"You do know this is the first thing we have in common?"

"Wonders really never cease." he continue to rub her hands and saw her shiver. "Meng, you're still cold. Is it okay if I hold you?"

She looked at him in the eyes, trying to gauge his intentions.

"Did you know that hypothermia is the number 1 killer in the mountains?"

"I have to warn you. I've heard that relationship based on tense experiences never work."

"What?"

"Jack Travern, from the 1994 movie Speed, starring Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves"

"hahahaha! Alam mo, you're the only one I know that will come up with a movie quote at times like this. Now, may I? Hold you? Please?"

She started to lean then pulled back again. "Akbay lang?"

"Promise! We just need to share body heat. The rain is still not letting up and we don't want you getting sick" Raising up his right hand.

She leaned on him as he put his arms around her shoulders. They gaze at the rain, each feeling the racing of their hearts.  The moment was so poignant that Meng had to tell him how she feels.

"Alam mo, hindi ako natatakot nung naghihintay kami kanina. I know that I need to be brave for the three of us. But I also know, no I was sure, that somebody will come for us sooner or later. For some strange reason, I was not surprised that it was you." She turned to look up at him, he was already staring at her.

"I wanted to be the one to find you. I wanted it so bad." gazing intently at her eyes

"I'm glad it was you. Maraming salamat." Meng put her head on his shoulder. She had to close her eyes before she cry. God! I will miss this. I will really miss him.

RJ kept on looking at her,  her eyes  closed as she lay her head on his shoulder. He did what he wanted to do that night during the banquet when she fell asleep on his shoulders.

He kissed her forehead.

"Tisoy?"

"hhmm, Menggay?"

"Galit ang tatay ko sa magnanakaw."

He smiled and leaned against her head.

The rain has stopped and the rays of sunset is now peeking through the clouds, passing through the canopy of trees above.

A few more minutes, just give us a few more minutes.

Tama si Kuya Jose, whatever happens on Saturday, we have this.

We'll always have this.

A/N: I don't know about you, but this image still remains as one my most favorite of Aldub/Maichard moments.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 148 66
Bryan Leonard "Brylen" Esguerra. Perfection. 'Yan na yata talaga ang eksaktong salitang makapagdi-describe sa kanya. Devilishly handsome, intelligent...
79.2K 2.4K 27
"Para kang 3-in-1 coffee sa buhay ko. May lover na ako, may best friend pa. May bonus pang overprotective bodyguard." Snicker was labelled as the res...
472K 14.2K 37
Akala ni Mara dahil nawala na si Minami at Keisuke sa buhay nila ni Ryu, mapapanatag na ang kanyang kalooban. Pero mas masahol pa pala ang kasasadlak...
2K 66 30
Once. Twice. Thrice. Four times. Minsan sa iba. Kahibangan na kung sa pang-lima na beses magmamahal ka pa. Pero kaya mo pa nga ba? Kung apat na beses...