Of Love, Signs and Logic (Com...

נכתב על ידי random_insight

What if aside from being worlds apart, one acts on impulse and believe in signs and the other depends on logi... עוד

Prologue
1 - The Pluviophiles
2 - Home is Where The Heart Is
2.1 The Choices We Make
3 - Melancholy and....
3.1 Serendipity....Almost
4 - Operation PEACE & QUIET - Day One
5 - Plan B
6 - Face Off
7 - What Now?
Commercial break
8 - Off We Go
9 - The Hills Are Alive
10 - Happy Camperssss
11 - Soliloquy
12 - Unang Hirit
13 - Newbie Hiker
14 - Truce
15 - Small Talks
16 - Wildflowers
17.1 May Something,....
17.2 ...Something Na Yan
18 - Homestretch
19 - Reality Bites
20 - Defensive
21 - The Village
23 - Weh, Di Nga?
24 - Up and About
25 - Getting Even
26 - Unexpected Wisdom
27 - Making Amends
28 - A Quiet Night
29 - The Day After Tomorrow
30 - Rain
Commercial for chapter 30
31 - Questions
32 - One Last Fine Day
33 - Bamboo Scripts
34 - Of Signs
35 - Of Logic
36 - The Reveal
37 - Catching Up
38 - Day Job
39 - He Said, She Said
40 - Princess Anna
41 - I Call You, You Call Me
42 - Roadtrip
43 - Of Sunset and Dawn
44 -Musings
45 - She
46 - Man from Mars, Woman from Venus
47 - Dinner Date?
48 - Akyat ng Ligaw
49 - Day Off
50 - Curveball
51 - Ripples
52 - Of Lemons and Apple Juice
53 - Richard James Faulkerson, Ph.D.
Last Commercial Gap (not an update)
54 - Baby Steps
55 - One Year in the Biz
56 - When It Rains, It Pours
57 - Ex Who?
58 - Time Out
59 - The Journey
60 - Of Love
Epilogue atbp

22 - The Banquet

5.4K 470 62
נכתב על ידי random_insight

Photo credit: Jacob Images

People were already dancing to the beat of native instruments when Meng and Paolo got to the banquet with kuya Wally. The rest were seated on the ground and gathered around in circle with bonfire at the center casting glow to the happy faces around.

Her sight zoomed in on the only face that matters.

The guy was deep in conversation with who seem to be the sitio leader. Now, where to sit? Kailangan pa bang i-memorize yan? Of course, as far from him as possible.

"Doon tayo Kuya Poch, hindi pansinin!" she pointed to the part of the circle of crowd farthest from him.

"Meng, we stand out like a sore thumb, wag ka nang mag-ilusyon na di mapansin. Patunayan mong wala kang problema kay Tisoy." Paolo insisted.

Wally motioned them where to sit. Siyempre, inunahan siya ni Kuya Poch na umupo sa tabi ni Kuya Jose leaving her with no choice but to take the seat beside Richard.

He seemed to be oblivious to her presence. So Meng focused instead on watching and observing the people, the way they communicate, mothers in their native attire with their children. All the while, half listening to what Richard and the elder was talking about. She can't tune out his voice.

RJ knows the moment Meng approached and sat beside him, conscious to her presence. Even if doesn't want to admit it, he had been waiting for her arrival. And now that she did, he can no longer concentrate on what the elder was saying, half expecting that she'll make a comment anytime. He turned to find her closely watching the happening and the people with wonder in her eyes and smile on her lips.

The elder noticed where his attention was. Hindi niya tuloy namalayan na may inaabot na itong inumin sa buho ng kawayan para kay Meng.

"Inom ka daw muna" He has no choice but to call her attention.

"Salamat." She also mouthed "salamat po" to the elder who was fondly looking at them. She sipped a little and went back to watching the the performance when she realized that the two are no longer talking but RJ is now looking strangely at her.

"Ha? bakit, may problema ba?" she asked with a frown on her face.

"Ni hindi mo tinanong kung ano yang ininom mo?"

"Common sense, una maaamoy ko kung alcohol 'to. At kung may lason naman, sasabihin mo ba? Also, I'm assuming na ito rin ang iniinom ng lahat dahil di naman ako special. Okay naman kayo. Judging from what I tasted, this is some sort of tea, maybe from leaves with a taste of ginger, tama ba?"

"Ang dami mo nang sinabi." RJ said and turned his attention back to the elder.

"Magkasintahan ba kayo?" the village elder asked him.

"Hindi po! Bakit n'yo po naitanong?"RJ leaned closer to the elder to whisper that question.

"Dahil sapantaha ko'y di ka mapakali kanina. Iniisip ko kung sino ang hinihintay mo, siya pala." RJ felt grateful for the darkness and the voice of the elder drowned by the music and noise.

"Hindi mo ba siya ipakikilala, amang?"

Ashamed that he forgot his manners, he introduced Apo Way-agan to Meng, while feeling his ears turning red on how perceptive the village elder was.

Not satisfied with the introductions, Meng even moved to the other side of the elder. RJ witnessed how Meng charmed the village leader. Oh, Apo Way-agan was definitely charmed, judging by the voice and expressions on his face. She listened intently to the stories the elder is narrating. When the food was brought in, you can see the curiosity in her eyes, even asking about the ingredients. She gamely tasted each one.

Hindi niya namalayan na matagal na niyang pinanonood ang dalawa nang gulatin siya ni Kuya Jose from his other side and whispered something. He just nodded for them to go ahead.

Soon Apo Way-agan stood up, went in front and spoke to the crowd in their dialect to introduce them and their purpose. Loud cheers erupted from the crowd. Saka napansin ni Meng na wala na ang mga kasama nila. She leaned across to RJ.

"Nasaan sila kuya Poch?"

"Nasira tiyan." was his short answer

She stood up and attempted to follow. "Teka pupuntahan ko."

"Sinamahan na nila kuya Jose."

"Pero..."

"It's disrespectful to leave when your host is speaking. Saka madilim ang lalakaran mo. But if you insist, be my guest... "

Realizing that he has a point, wala siyang nagawa kundi umupo ulit sa tabi ng binata. The elder then asked RJ to say a few words.

She learned earlier that not all Hanunoos understand Tagalog owing to the distance of the village from the lowlands and the fact that they have their own script and dialect. So while not all understood him, they were still attentive when RJ spoke.

While listening, Meng realized that even if he was insincere to her, there's no doubt of his sincerity in his mission for this community. Habang yung ibang kasing-edad niya ay busy sa pagpapa-pogi, gimik at pag-iipon ng girlfriends, ito namang isang ito eh gusto yatang magpakabayani sa pagtulong.

After RJ's short speech, the celebration continued with more performances. They both continued to watch, sitting side by side, not talking but conscious of each other.

But soon the fatigue of the travel overcame Meng when he saw her yawning. He felt that she started to fall asleep when her head started drooping and falling to the sides. Slowly, he inched closer and gently tilted her head so it could rest on his shoulder.

He then tried to focus again on the performances but the fit of her head on his shoulder and the smell of her hair are starting to wreck havoc on his concentration.

The struggle is real. 'Gaano pa ba katagal to?'

"Amang, ihatid mo na siya, hindi n'yo kailangan tapusin ito. Naiintindihan namin na pagod kayo sa inyong paglalakbay."

"Salamat po. Ihahatid ko lang po siya at babalik ako."

Okay paano ko 'to gigisingin? Napasarap na yata ng tulog at ginawa ng unan ang balikat ko. "Meng? Gising na, balik na tayo sa tuluyan natin. Huy!" softly shaking her arm.

Meng slowly opened her eyes. She was obviously still in a dreamy state when she looked up into his eyes and spoke to him. "Ha? Diba tulog na tayo at panaginip na to? Alam mo?.... Ang cute, cute mo! Lalo na pag naka-smile ka saka nakalabas dimple mo. Parati ka na lang mag-smile ha?" she said with a dreamy smile on her face.

"Epekto ba yan ng nainom mo? High ka ba or nananaginip ka?"

That remark woke her up. "Ha? Bakit asan ba tayo?"

He did not respond so she looked around and saw they were still at the banquet. She immediately covered her face in embarrassment when she realized what she just told him in a dreamy state.

She stood up and ran into the dark path leading to their hut. RJ made the goodbyes for both of them. "Tuloy na po kami."

She suddenly stopped when she can't figure out the way. Madilim nga! Naku, kung hindi lang ako takot madapa at madagdagan ang kahihiyan ko hindi kita hihintayin! Ano ba yung pinagsasabi ko? Nakakahiya! Hawak pa niya ang namumula at nag-iinit niyang mga pisngi nang abutan siya ni RJ. 

He was obviously irritated. "Bakit ka tumakbo? Hindi mo naman kabisado yung daan. Paano kung nadapa ka?" He was carrying some sort of lamp which is now lighting their way back to their accommodations.

"Ayaw mo no'n, eh di biglang nawala problema mo? Yun naman ang gusto mo diba?" Now that her way is lighted, she continued walking ahead of him, her pace as brisk as the light from the lamp would allow, praying that he wouldn't refer to her blunder.

They finally reached their hut.

RJ was still annoyed at what she did. "Look, sa ayaw at sa gusto mo, kargo kita. Please don't make it more difficult than it already is."

She replied with her back to him. "Don't worry, even if I decided to keep the truce, I'll stay out of your way starting tomorrow. You won't even notice I'm here, promise! Sorry, antok na talaga ko, if you have anymore to say, please save it for tomorrow. "

"Fine. But there's one more thing." He paused and waited for her to turn around. She did with one eyebrow raised.

"Please don't fall for me, it's not worth it."

A/N: Yes, my friends. The exit line to end all exit lines.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

67.2K 1.6K 35
For Tazmania, loving Odie was like playing Dumb Ways To Die. One wrong move, and the character will die. Movie producer si Tazmania na ang trabaho la...
9.3K 314 45
Paano kaya pag sinabi nang magulang mo na kaylangan mo e fix marriage sa ibang lalaki at yung lalaking yun ay Kababata mo #Taeyeon #Baekhyun #Sehun #...
393K 5.1K 45
Growing up, Cindy Anne Lopez had it all. Fortune, prestige school, loving and protective parents. She was the heiress. The first born of the Lopez Cl...
7.6K 210 13
Ewan. Basta pag-ibig na natagpuan sa gitna ng ulan. >> Subject to REVISE >>