Of Love, Signs and Logic (Com...

By random_insight

What if aside from being worlds apart, one acts on impulse and believe in signs and the other depends on logi... More

Prologue
1 - The Pluviophiles
2 - Home is Where The Heart Is
2.1 The Choices We Make
3 - Melancholy and....
3.1 Serendipity....Almost
4 - Operation PEACE & QUIET - Day One
5 - Plan B
6 - Face Off
7 - What Now?
Commercial break
8 - Off We Go
9 - The Hills Are Alive
10 - Happy Camperssss
11 - Soliloquy
12 - Unang Hirit
13 - Newbie Hiker
14 - Truce
15 - Small Talks
16 - Wildflowers
17.2 ...Something Na Yan
18 - Homestretch
19 - Reality Bites
20 - Defensive
21 - The Village
22 - The Banquet
23 - Weh, Di Nga?
24 - Up and About
25 - Getting Even
26 - Unexpected Wisdom
27 - Making Amends
28 - A Quiet Night
29 - The Day After Tomorrow
30 - Rain
Commercial for chapter 30
31 - Questions
32 - One Last Fine Day
33 - Bamboo Scripts
34 - Of Signs
35 - Of Logic
36 - The Reveal
37 - Catching Up
38 - Day Job
39 - He Said, She Said
40 - Princess Anna
41 - I Call You, You Call Me
42 - Roadtrip
43 - Of Sunset and Dawn
44 -Musings
45 - She
46 - Man from Mars, Woman from Venus
47 - Dinner Date?
48 - Akyat ng Ligaw
49 - Day Off
50 - Curveball
51 - Ripples
52 - Of Lemons and Apple Juice
53 - Richard James Faulkerson, Ph.D.
Last Commercial Gap (not an update)
54 - Baby Steps
55 - One Year in the Biz
56 - When It Rains, It Pours
57 - Ex Who?
58 - Time Out
59 - The Journey
60 - Of Love
Epilogue atbp

17.1 May Something,....

5.8K 454 27
By random_insight

Photo credit: http://www.jacobimages.com/2012/12/the-mangyan-of-mindoro

RJ was confused. May sinabi ba siyang mali or masama? It's been more than 30mins and she has not stopped to rest. She's not talking or asking questions either. Okay, sumasagot pero naging mono syllables na sagot niya to his questions. She still takes pictures but...basta iba eh....there's really something off.

"Let's stop, mukhang hingal ka na. HIndi masakit sugat mo? I can carry your backpack, medyo mas matarik na aakyatin natin." He decided that it's time to put things back in order.

She stopped walking. RJ watched her catch her breath. Pagod na nga. Her shades are now on top of her head so he has a clear view of her face and surprisingly.... sad eyes? You see, it's not just her eyes, but her face, which is so expressive that you'll easily detect if something is wrong.

She drank from her water bottle, then wiped the sweat off her forehead, all the while not looking at him. "No i'm okay. Carry pa. Malayo pa ba? Halos 3hrs na tayo, right?"

"Based on my map and the description of our guide last night of the landmarks na nalampasan natin, mga 45mins to 1 hr pa siguro given our pace so kung kaya mo, this might be our last stop."

"Okay, let's go!" She put her water bottle back on her backpack then prepared to leave.

"Teka, is there something wrong? You've been pretty quiet since our last stop." They are at the base of another peak in the range, now approaching another uphill climb in a vast field of talahib grass, acres and acres of them.

"No i'm fine." Meng shook her head as she surveyed the expanse.

"Are you sure?" Then why can't you look at me?

She finally turned to him, mild irritation evident in her eyes. "Hindi ka rin makulit no? Hindi ba puwedeng naubusan lang ako ng small talk? Ikaw ba naman mag-small talk for more than 2 hrs. Pag pinagsama-sama mo nga yun, di na small talk yun, BIG talk na."

He smiled at that, it's better than no emotion at all. "But as small talk goes, you're doing pretty good." He just want to keep her talking to make up for the silence in the last 30 mins.

"Well, you're looking at somebody who has mastered the art of small talks." she patiently explained when she realized she cannot get out of this small talk.

Okay, it looks like this topic piqued her interest. "What do you mean 'mastered the art of small talks'? I didn't know there is an art in doing 'small talk'."

"Yes, there is. You'd be surprised there's even a science to it. Alam mo ba na you can be with roomful of people and quote-unquote 'still not be with them'?"

Now she's talking. This is more like it, RJ thought. Kahit installment ang sagot. "Anong ibig mong sabihin?"

"Kasi here's my theory. Ang bida sa buhay ng bawat tao ay sarili niya. So if you're with people and you just keep asking them questions about themselves, small talk, in the end, they will tell you how good conversationalist you are. When in fact, they did not really learn anything about you, because they just talked about themselves. Not true for all, but at least it's true for most people. There!"

Should he rebut her theory? Naah! "So which is which? Given your theory, are you quote-unquote 'with me now'?"

"Ha?" She was clearly taken aback by the question.

Noticing her discomfort, RJ changed his question. For some strange reason, he suddenly remembered the "celebrity" he bumped into outside the elevator at Greenbelt last week.

"Hindi ka makasagot no? Sige iba na lang. Back to small talk tayo." 

He'll try to analyze it later, but he's starting to like listening to her voicing out her opinion on trivial matters.He's starting to like listening to her. Period.

"Let's test your theory. What can you say about celebrities that people can't get enough of? How can they do small talk the way you describe it, when the talk will always lead back to them?"

The mention of celebrity made Meng momentarily pause.

"Are you talking about when celebrities get interviewed? First, you don't call an interview a small talk."

"And?"

"Second, paano napunta sa celebrities ang small talk natin? But sige I will try to answer. I don't think all celebrities wants their egos stoked all the time - there are still those that still want to be treated just like anybody else and not always be the center of attention so they can still ask about other people - ganon!" she was pre-occupied with what they are talking about that she did not notice that he's slowly getting closer to where she is standing.

"Have you actually tried talking to a celebrity, curious lang?" He just got to ask. Is it my imagination or she suddenly became uncomfortable?

"This talk is not getting anywhere. Do you know, for a guy, you have a knack for asking insightful questions?" Why are you asking all these questions?

"Para namang sinabi mong hindi kami marunong magtanong ng insightful questions. But to indulge you, it's because you are also talking to somebody who has mastered the art of studying people by the way they do small talks. So beware." By now, he has closed the gap between them and he is now standing two feet in front of her, his gaze intent on capturing her eyes.

For the first time, she returned his gaze, stare for stare, minus her shades. RJ doesn't know how long they stood there while looking at each other, not saying anything. It's as if each one is trying to read each others' thoughts or trying to gauge an opponent.

Despite the cool breeze coming from the sway of the field of talahib grass around them, the atmosphere became charged that he felt his ears turning red. Nauna si Meng nagbaba ng tingin and started looking for something that will divert her attention.

It was no surprise when she started taking pictures again.

Kumusta naman siya? Honestly, hindi niya alam. This is not going according to his plans but he cannot stop himself. The only thing he knows is that he has this urge to distract her attention that is now focused on the picture she's taking. He wants her attention back to him.

"Okay ka lang? Kanina wildflowers, ngayon, pati talahib kinukuhanan mo na ng pictures?"he tried calling back her attention.

And of course she has a ready answer without looking at him. "Aaah, talahib ba tawag diyan? Ang galing no? Look at them sway by the breeze as if they are in a dance routine. Coordinated na coordinated yung movement nila na parang may nagcoreograph. Look at these images."

She showed him the images on her phone. - "See the glow when you capture the whole bunch at a certain angle against the light?"

That maneuver was smoothly done without so much as a glance at him.

"Yes, beautiful." Who is he kidding? He is neither looking at the pictures nor at the view.

That's when she looked up and caught him staring again but she easily dismissed it this time. "Ok, nakapahinga na po ako. I'm ready when you are. Ikaw naman ang bumangka sa small talk mo. Madaya ka. Tanong ka lang nang tanong. Tell me more about the Mangyan village that we are visiting."

Then she walked ahead without waiting for his answer.

And that my friend is how you dismissed a potentially charged situation. RJ knows he got schooled by a lady.

Schooled on what, he doesn't know. He's still confused and has this mixed feelings on what is happening.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.2M 1.4M 62
Rosenda crosses path with a hot stranger who's suffering from some sort of mental illness yet seems to understand her pain and longing. She decides t...
202K 1.4K 13
contains only 5 chapters
235K 1.4K 32
#2 maine #1 rj #6 alden #8 alden #1 eatbulaga #7 maine NcmnRchrd po yung BOOK 2