The Cosmic Princess

By tlwsweety2

Sequel to The Lethal Princess. Must read first book before this. Becoming princess of an entire nation: That... More

Prologue
Pawns on a Chess Board
Wedding Day
Skyfall
Apocalypse
The Touchdown
I Always Believed in You
Adventure Time
Yatheans....Or Amazonians?
Just in Time
Strike Two
Selling Souls
White Flag
Heart to Heart
Elements of life
Dinner Time
Signs of a Trigger
Signs of a Trigger Part Two
Free Falling
Free Falling Pt. 2
Pinks and Purples
Love VS. Power
Truths
Enemy Number One
Not Jealous, Just Territorial
It's Just Not Fair
You're Stronger
Now I'm only Falling Apart
The Fates Have Decided
That Cold December Night
Picking Up the Pieces
I'm Only Nobellian
A Woman's Work
Ike's Story
Salvation
Golden
Rise
Drops of Jupiter in Her Hair
The Return
Get it Together
His Heart
Trust
Broken Puzzle Pieces
Broken Frame
The Departure
The Cosmic Princess (Part Two)
Danger, Danger, and more Danger
Healing
On the Run
Pay it Forward
Othana
Avenge
Live Free or Die Hard
Plotting
Power Play
Set up or Help
For the Children
All Night
The Good, The Bad, and The Disaster
In the Name of Love
The Grays In Between
Run
It Begins
His Rules
Author's Note
His Punishment
His Satisfaction
His Goals
His Desires
His Origins
His Last Straw
His Coliseum
His Soul
Mermaids and Dragons
Double Rainbow
Flashlight
When Things Hit the Fan
Russian Roulette
Falling Apart
Everybody Wants to Rule the World
The Final Battle & The Story of Faven
I'm Coming Home
Growing Pains
Planet Terra
For the First Time

Love Drought

16.5K 926 282
By tlwsweety2

Song: Beyonce-Love Drought. Finally she uploaded it! In my opinion, this describes a good part of what is going on between Ike and Avril. It's a beautiful song. I just wished she would have uploaded the full song. You guys should definitely listen to it!

Quick Recap: Ike and Avril make progress in their relationship on the field, eventually leading to a night of them sharing a bed in the comfort of each other's arms.

------

The morning after Ike and I had fell asleep together, I had gotten up earlier than Ike and managed to untangle myself from him to the chagrin of a sleepy Ike. My body had longed for him the moment that I gotten out of bed, but still I had resisted the pull feeling it softly crying for me to come back and rest gently with my kindred spirit. Yet, I had ignored the call and instead forced myself out of the room.

The moment I had been away from his touch I had ached for him and my body had longingly sung for his touch, but had kept my distance.

It had been only three days later since that morning. Ike had come searching for me, yet something must have told him that the progress we had gained the night before had vanquished.

Nowadays, I felt like I had reached an emotional limbo with my feelings towards everything and everyone around me. Forgiveness was the destination I was trying to reach, but the more I walked on the slippery path the farther the destination seemed to be. Most times I was hopeless and other times I was numb because even if I did manage to forgive all of them, how could it ever go back to the way it was before everything changed. I was in an internal standstill with everything, looking at my future path with what ifs and looking at my past path with nostalgia and almost longing.

Ike said that when something is broken, you can fix it? But honestly, I never saw a broken mirror look as good as it did before it was shattered. The fragile cracks and fragmented curves were evident and told a story of something that couldn't quite fix no matter how hard you tried. Of course, you could try to ignore the imperfections, but they would always remain ready to break open if given the chance.

Now with tears wetting the corners of my eyes, finally feeling something besides the numbness and quiet hostility, I stared up at the ceiling lying face up on the bed I had grown accustom to over the past weeks. It had been one of the few places where I could feel I could be alone without having people watching me, waiting for me to break apart.

The only difference was that this time I wasn't alone. Silently suffering, hands interlaced and placed on my stomach, Kaiya and Mist both laid on the bed with me.

We had all mindlessly been talking for what felt like hours. With the relationships between us teetering onto the point of no return, our intimate conversation seemed like the right direction to follow.

"You know; it seems like it doesn't matter where I am? Or what I do. I can always feel it." Mist spoke quietly into the open silence, the village was oddly quiet today and so the normal background noise of fighting, music, or bickering was nearly non-existent. "No matter what I do, I can always feel the day coming."

I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat, eyes burning, as Kaiya asked a question that I felt like I already knew the answer to. "What is the day?"

Mist was silent for a while until, she sighed softly with a heartbreaking defeat tinge to her tone. "The day my kindred spirit died."

That was all she had to say and from my right I could feel Kaiya's body tense. "Oh shit, Mist, I'm so-"

"No." Mist cut off Kaiya's rare apologetic words. "Don't be. There's nothing for you to be sorry about. It's in the past, yet I can always feel when the day is coming. I haven't looked at a calendar in months it seems, but I just know it's coming." Mist's voice sounded choked and before I could even register what I was doing my hand found hers. "The pain nearly becomes unbearable and it's so ironic to me that I'm a healer, yet I don't even have the power to heal myself."

Mist continued to talk and she finally gives Kaiya a name to the kindred spirit that had caused Mist to be a living and breathing embodiment of irony. Mason was his name. Simple. Short. And Sweet. Just like him.

As she began to talk about the love she had lost, I began to think about my own lost love. I could only imagine the pain I would feel if Ike was to be suddenly yanked out of my grasps and never to return. Mist continued to speak and I continued to try and listen to her but mind drifted to Ike.

I had reached an emotional fatigue with everything and felt withdrawn, even towards my kindred spirit. The tug and pull relationship we had these days was so tiring. Ike wanted progress, but I was just tired. One moment I was just ready to give up and call it quits because I just didn't think I had it in me anymore to try, so screw what Selene thought, yet at the same time I couldn't imagine Avril without an Ike. It was almost forbidden. He was the love of my life, and I don't think I would ever want to change that.

Despite what I had told my mother about how I would be strong and carry on, I found myself crying more than usual. I wanted Ike and I missed him and everyone else, yet I couldn't spark my desire to try. I was stuck in an emotional limbo and I didn't know how to get out of it. I was drowning and I was suffocating, yet I didn't know how to save myself. Why was finding forgiveness so hard?

The suffocating gray around me evaporated and I was blinking back the color into my life. Blinking slowly out of my reverie, a pacifying warmth was wrapping around me pushing these feelings away. Glancing up, I realized Ike was here and Kaiya and Mist were gone.

His fingers were wiping my tears and his arms were holding me close. "Stop crying, Av." His soft words were washing over me as his pained face took up my vision. "We'll get through this."

I didn't say anything and instead curled into him allowing myself this pleasure. It was almost routine now that when everything became too much for me and I begin to cry, he would appear out of the shadows and soothe the pain. Just for a while though.

Forgive or not to forgive was the question. The answer was beginning to blur more and more each day.

- - - - -

"Hey alien girl." My footing stopped and my quest to find Ivy slowed. She had said she would be busy today and she had blatantly hinted at it being best to catch up with my friends, but I liked being by myself these days unless I was hanging with Ivy and sometimes Ike.

'Alien girl' was a nickname that had been thrown at me a couple times around the village, way more when we first got here, but since my near death experience everything had calmed. The warriors seemed less wary around me, less suspicious, yet at times I would catch almost revered-like stares shot at me when it was believed I wasn't looking. I was still hearing words of gratitude from the warriors for my 'self-sacrificing' act I had done out at the flower fields and at the mating grounds.

Therefore, hearing the word "alien girl" was somewhat an insult, considering how much progression had been made with the women around the village. I was actually sort of surprised to hear it. Well, until I recognized the aggravating voice that accompanied it.

Back steeling and arms crossed against my chest, I turned around, scowl planted on my face ready for round...three. Four? Five? I don't know, I had actually lost count.

"What do you want Jerica?" Since the whole big fiasco at dinner in which Jerica basically revealed my entire past to my friends, she had been scarce. Secretly, I believed it was Alem's doing, but Ivy had made a comment about how her nose was broken and having the warriors see her with a broken nose would lead to questions which would then lead back to me which would be humiliating to her. Either way though, I was okay with it. However, now the troll had crawled out from under her bridge and was probably here to piss me off in some type of way.

With everything going on right now, it would have been god sent to not see Jerica ever again, but hell I knew I had bad luck.

The lady at hand smirked at me in reply backed be two of her posse. A green haired female whose face surprisingly looked pleasantly at me and the brutish brunette, who I accurately remembered hitting Kaiya the one time we were prisoners. The steel caution I had around me dulled at both of their faces who liked at me almost in awe. From the hateful expressions not even two weeks ago to their open and happy faces, I could proudly say that I was utterly confused on what they wanted.

"Um, can I help you?" Confusion laced my tone and the only one who didn't look pleased to be in my presence, Jerica, rolled her eyes in disgust.

"Listen I am only going to say this once so listen well because if you miss anything I'm not repeating myself."

Well then bitch, start talking.

Was what I wanted to say, but instead I pushed out a slow "okay."

"Alright, so I would just like to thank you for what you did on the flower fields and what you did at the mating grounds. Due to the attacks, we did lose five of our warriors." My mind went back to how Mist had told me that beautiful funerals had happened for the fallen warriors in my absence, and how I was going to be the last one buried.

"But I expect it would have been more if you and your friends would not have been there. This is not me saying I like you, but I respect and I thank you for what you did." Jerica began talking rather quickly, making it very obvious that she would whether be anywhere but here.

A slow smirk began to crawl along my face. Hell, this shit was heaven sent. Never would I expect to be hearing these words from Jerica.

"Anyways back to urgh-" The green haired one gave Jerica a harsh push to the back of her should blade and Jerica stumbled forward. Letting out a frustrated huff, she shot the green haired warrior who was looking at me sheepishly, a harsh growl before turning back to me.

"Fine, I would also like to apologize for my behavior these past few weeks. You honestly, didn't deserve half of the trials I put you through, but I did them anyways so I can't take them back nor would I. I hurt you and because of you, I now may have a weak child growing and sucking the life out of me."

The brunette standing behind Jerica burrowed her glare into the back of Jerica's head practically sizzling it with all the fury swimming in its dark depths, but Jerica simply ignored her. "To make up for my mistreatment of you, I would like to extend an offer."

I smacked my lips together and narrowed eyes at the arrogant warrior in front of me. "So you basically treat me like shit the entire time I'm here and you give me a half-ass apology and then extend an offer to me? What type of offer can you extend me that doesn't involve mental, emotional, or bodily harm, Jerica." I spat the words. "Because honestly you can take you words and shove them up your haughty-"

Not even trying to deny my words, probably because it was true, she spoke over me. "Oh, it does involve bodily harm, but I feel like this is the type of bodily harm that won't make you an emotional unstable shell of person that you have been walking around like in the village."

Eyes flashing copper, I stepped furrowed. The two girls behind Jerica winced and moved back slightly at the murderous expression on my face, but Jerica simply smiled. Knew the bitch was a fucking psycho.

"No longer will I allow people to throw my past in my face and no longer will I take your crap, so either you get to the point or I'll show you what real bodily harm is."

Face going blank, the air between us stilled into a tense crackling silence until Jerica huffed. "I'm trying to be nice here, but you make it hard-"

"I can say the same fucking thing."

"But because of you, the threat of other warrior tribes has decreased tremendously as word of you has carried across this land because they think you're a permanent staple here. They know with you on our side, this tribe is untouchable; therefore, they will leave us alone... for now. To extend the thanks I'm offering you a chance to fight with us warriors."

"You're possibly pregnant. I'm not fighting a pregnant woman. Even though, I strongly dislike you, I have more respect than that."

With a roll of her eyes and a flick of her hand, she shooed me away. "Nice to hear that, but I wasn't talking about me. All mating warriors cannot fight, but there are tons of warriors who can. I remember when we fought, and even when I was kicking your ass-

"Barely, bitch." I snapped.

Something that sounded like a chuckle escaped her lips and her green eyes glinted at me as she moved closer while I stay rooted to my spot, refusing to allow her to win whatever game we were playing at. "Even when I was barely kicking your ass." A bitter smile lit her face at my scowl. "I could see that you were enjoying yourself. I know that you're leaving to go save your planet or whatever, and I also know that you've been walking around like your strong warrior baby was cut and gutted from your stomach-"

I cringed back at the comparison. Fucking Yetherian warriors.

"If you would like to come and spar with the others warriors you can. You'll need it if your friends' fighting skills are anything to go off of and I've learned personally that if fighting is one of your passions it can truly be liberating."

Suspicion was clear in my tone, but I couldn't help the small bolt of excitement and longing that ran up my spine at the idea of fighting again. "You'd probably get you warriors friends to come and try jump me and beat me up."

Face stoic, she thumbed to the two warriors behind her. "These are my closest confidants and look at them." The revulsion was evident in her voice as she flicked her attention to them.

Glancing in their direction I did notice that the way they looked at me reflected the images I saw of a lot of other warriors around campus. A mixture of awe, respect, and even intrigue shined dully in their eyes as they tried to make their faces stoic and disinterested.

"And even if I somehow did manage to make the warriors use you more roughly, are you saying you would turn this down because you're a little scared of bruises. Don't you have your own personal healer?"

Silence fell over us once again as I mulled over her answer with my hands on my hip. I couldn't even lie; she did have a good point.

"First thing first" I stated. "I don't like you."

Jerica shrugged. "Okay? What does that have to do with anything?"

I mirrored her and shrugged too. "Nothing, I just wanted to let you know that, but you're right. I can take a few bruises because at the end of the day I'll be giving bruises myself."

Jerica snorted and my signature scowl for the day was right back on my face.

"It's a deal, when do I start?"

"After this I owe you no favors." Jerica grinned, looking relieved. "And it starts now."

---------

Two hours later, battered, bruised, and sweating I limped to the protection of the trees feeling the cold metal in my hand. The warriors had held nothing back, and like a ruthless queen or something Jerica sat on the sidelines and watched. For the first part of the session I got my ass handed to me as the female warriors I fought showed me that the confidence I had in my fighting skills was useless. In comparison to the warriors, I was amateur and I stood absolutely no chance.

However, towards the middle they began to show me certain skills, beginner skills they had told me, but honestly they didn't seem like beginner skills. Since fighting was my niche, I was a fast learner and easily picked up on what I was taught. Out of the five warriors that I fought with, by the end of the session, I was able to take one down to the chagrin and frustration of that warrior.

It was a small victory for me and the fighting helped take my mind off of everything else. When I was fighting I was able to forget about everything that had their hooks pinned into me.

When I sparred, Terra wasn't falling apart, Ike was still my Ike that I trusted with everything I had, and my friends didn't feel like distant strangers. When I fought, everything stilled and it was just me, the way my body could impact and take impact, and my opponent.

Now as I walked through the forest, the breeze gently cooling my body, and the metal apparatus in my hand that I had secretly taken out of Mist's room, the fog that I had been trapped under seemed to be clear just a little bit.

It wasn't until I got deep into the forest, away from prying eyes and very close to my meditating cliff, that I sat down, back against the smooth bark of the tree behind me. The metal device suddenly felt like a brick of lead in my hands. For a few moments, I stared at the object in my hands wondering if I really wanted to make the plunge.

A part of me didn't want to because the fog was so easy to live in. In a state of limbo, almost numb to everything around most things couldn't touch me too deeply anymore. These past few days, I learned that before my near death experience, I was too passionate about things. I wanted to save and help everyone and I cared too much. Nowadays, I didn't care about really anything.

The drive to save Terra was there, but barely. The determination to make Ike and I work and to mend these bridges between my friends were there, but hardly. I just didn't care anymore.

"But that's what made you, you Avril. You cared. That's what set you apart from the others rulers. You cared about your people, you cared about the improvement and prosperity of your people. What happened?" For the first time my voice wasn't snarky, rude, or even feisty. It sounded hopeless, saddened about the conclusion I had come to.

What had happened?

Life had happened. I couldn't save everyone, and at one point I couldn't even save myself. Everything was in shambles around me, and constantly fighting for a happy ending was getting tiring, especially when the ending was nowhere in sight.

"So then what are you going to do, Avril?" My voice asked neither rejecting or supporting my thoughts. "Are you going to fight on or are you going to sit here and watch everything you have ever fought for fall and break."

It's already broken.

But it can still be fixed.

With that, my voice disappeared back into my subconscious and I was left to wallow in my thoughts as my thumb absentmindedly scratched over the smooth surface.

I don't know how long I sat there hearing the loud chirping and soft hooting of the birds in the trees. The wind blew through the forest ruffling the purple leaves and my bruises seemed to fester and increasingly got achier, but still I chased my thoughts.

I liked fighting not only because it pulled me away from my thoughts, but also because it allowed me to think clearer. It was after my fighting when I realized that I couldn't continue to push Terra to the back of my mind. Somewhere along the way, saving Terra had got lost in translation. As I dealt with my own personal problems, I pushed Terra away and the main objective seemed to fade until it was almost pushed into oblivion. However, fighting today was the hook that had reeled on it and pulled it back into perspective.

Now as I looked at the object in my hands, all I wondered was whether or not I should take the plunge and open myself back up into the pain or be numb because it was safe and comfortable. Because the minute I used this device, I knew I would go right back to caring and putting everything before myself.

You have so little faith in your strength, my mother's words echoed in my mind, and right then and there I made the decision. I couldn't be lost in this emotional limbo anymore.

Taking a deep breath, I pressed the button and watched the device expand in my hands until it was enlarged into a rectangle screen with a large screen taking up most of its surface area. Fingers nimbly typing in TER39054 into the pad on the screen, I took another breath and watched the screen feeling anxiousness nip at me.

Red and green danced across the screen as I waited, impatiently nibbling on my lip. It must have been about thirty seconds, but felt like an eternity when a friendly familiar face appeared on the screen.

At the sight of each other, we both reacted. Ingel gasped, and a choked sob drifted from my lips.

"What happened to you?"

"Hi."

We both said at the same time.

I ignored his question and stared at him feeling my throat close and eyes burn. Happiness no longer evaded me as I took in his appearance. Pale and hopelessness were long gone, instead his skin looked like it had gained a little bit more of its olive color, yet he still looked tired and word.

"You have bruises all over you, what happened?" Ingel questioned, looking both protective and shaken at my sight.

"Sparring, I sparred today."

For a few moments, he eyed me and then sighed sadly. "What's wrong?"

"Am I that transparent." I forced a laugh, but like always he saw right through it by the neutral facial expression on his face.

I paused and broke eye contact with him. Words couldn't describe how happy I was to see Ingel, yet talking about everything that happened seemed like it would rip the floor right that I had slowly built these past few days right from under me. "You tell me how Terra is doing, and I'll tell you."

Sensing my reservations in saying anything at all, he listed dutifully. "It was so hard the first 2 months..."

"It's been two months?" I gasped lightly, eyebrows furrowing trying to calculate how long we've been on Yetheria. "That can't be. We've only been here for two, three weeks at the most."

A wiry smile graced his face. "You forgot Avril, planets don't run on the same clock. Yetheria has slower days then Terra it seems."

My eyebrows furrowed even harder. "That's so weird, so does that I mean I'm aging slower?"

He chuckled lightly, his smile breaking through the small glint of sadness that seemed to be a permanent fixture in his eyes. "Time is merely but an illusion." Was all he said, and I didn't question instead growing silent at his words.

Realizing I wasn't going to say anymore, Ingel continued. "The first two months there were volcanoes happening everywhere. Tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes were common. It felt like the end of the world Avril, and I was so scared. When the Dynoats had come, they didn't only attack us. They went for the other 3 kingdoms. We were still finding bodies after the third week." I winced at the last sentence feeling shame burn at my chest at the fact that while I had been wallowing in my own pity, my people had been suffering waiting for me and the rest to come back and make everything right.

"Don't apologize Avril." Ingel beat me to the punch. "Nothing is your fault, I can already see you blaming yourself, but none of this is your fault. Avril, when they came we were nowhere near ready to protect ourselves against them. Looking back at the evidence, it was like the Dynoats knew all our weaknesses, as if they had blueprint of where to hit us where it hurt. When they came, we were sitting ducks waiting to be picked off. They came and brought death and destruction, and as we saw our lifeline being ripped from us, we did nothing. I still remember how it felt watching them break into the Four Heavens of Selene. Jeez, it was like nothing I had every felt before and part of me did feel paralyzed and defeated, but that's no excuse. You were the only fighter that day Avril, it's everyone's fault but yours."

Quietly, I swiped at the tears that had begun their slow crawl down my cheeks. "Ingel, I have no idea the connection your guys have to your sacred lands. No idea, so for someone to just come and rip it apart like that is just atrocious. I lack the understanding of your guy's emotions and connection because even though I am Nobellian, I didn't necessarily grow up the way you guys did. Maybe it was impossible to not react in the way you guys did because that's your culture and your sacred lands and artifact, and I am still a beginner. It's no one's fault, but the Dynoats."

"Well, that's not what the other kingdoms are saying. Because the orb of tranquility was under our protection, all the blame is being put on us." The tired look in his eyes grew.

"What does that mean?"

"Political stuff, that gives me a headache just thinking about it. Basically, they kind of want the Aldavs to step down from being the protector of the orb of tranquility. The act of stepping down"

"They can't do that. You guys are the strongest royal bloodline. It would be idiotic to allow anyone else to protect." I argued, feeling even more anger at myself for letting so much time go by. While I had been wrapped up in my feelings, they've been battling not just the planet but their people too.

"Well, look where that got us." He laughed, but it sounded bitter. "We managed to get it taken. It would be one of the biggest shames that could fall on my family if we stepped down."

"But they knew your guys' weaknesses." I argued softly, shame biting into me.

His eyes were glazed, but his face was crestfallen. "It doesn't matter when it comes to power and politics. You could be the best ruler out there and people would still find some negative, some flaw...but my dad, he's not the best ruler. There's been numerous riots that soldiers have had to put down or stop because the people of our kingdom, they're not happy. We've fallen onto hard times and when this happens, the poor and middle class suffer the most."

"I'm sorry Ingel..." Was all I was able to get out, when Ingel softly shook his head, eyes becoming focused again.

"None of this is your fault, you and everyone else is literally just working with the scrapes you were given

"I know, but-but please just give us a little bit more time! Make sure your dad agrees to nothing." I looked at him almost frantically. "We'll right all that has been wrong. We'll make everything better. We'll get the orb back! Just give us more time."

Glancing at the screen which had gone quiet, I made eye contact with Ingel through the screen and saw he was looking at me in admiration. "Some days I honestly wonder where did you come from."

"Uh my mom?"

We both laughed at my lame joke, and the laughing made me realize that these days I really didn't laugh a lot. The realization dried my laugh up on the spot. Ingel noticed as his frown mirrored mine.

"What happened while you've been away?" His words were soft and open, and it suddenly felt like I could talk to him about anything. Yet at his question, I found my eyes burning again as I fought back tears while memories, like some horrid flip book, flashed across my mind in consecutive order.

"You wouldn't believe it, if I told you."

Eyes somber, his voice was heavy. "Even when you're light years away, it still seems like I can feel you hurting."

"And you hate when I hurt." I filled in his next words.

He simply nodded with a thin smile.

The hot tears that ran down my cheek were such a contrast to the cooling air that nipped at my cheeks. "Well, it all started when we fell down from space and landed in a planet called Yetheria..." I began sighing softly. For the next half an hour, I told him everything that happened refusing to leave out the gruesome details and even going on to tell him about my past.

The tears became a constant the further I tumbled into the story, yet the heavy weight on my chest lifted the more I talked.

By the time I was done, Ingel had surreptitiously scratched a few tears from his eyes. Now, we both stared mutely at each other waiting for the other one to react.

"Your strength always amazes me." Was the first words Ingel uttered, voice quaky.

A bitter, humorless chuckled escaped my lips and I broke eye contact to stare around at the still forest. "It doesn't seem that way."

Ingel didn't say anything for a couple of moments, until he sighed softly. "I honestly can't believe all that went down. I mean, Teelah use to be so nice but we should never had trusted her since we know how torturous the Dynoats can be. They probably ruined her, yet that does not excuse everything they did. I can't believe no one figured it out sooner that Teelah was playing with their minds."

I shrugged. "Honestly, I can't even blame them. I've thought long and hard about it too. But the truth of the matter is, is that when you're on an entire different planet, trying to make it to the next day, and trying to figure out how to safely make it back home with your planet's most prized possession, I don't think you really think about treachery within your own people, especially when the traitor was so tricky."

"That's true, but still. I'm just all disappointed in them."

"They're all disappointed in themselves too." I chuckled sadly.

"Ya know, it hasn't been so hectic for about a week. And we have all wondered why, but perhaps Selene saw how much you're willing to sacrifice and gave us a pardon, for at least a little bit."

"What?" I asked.

"Selene is a just goddess. She gives life and she asks for little back. Yet, at times we take her for granted and we use and abuse her and we thinking nothing of it. I think this was the last straw. There's only so much mother Selene can take until she's had enough of us. Yet, all these natural catastrophes have slowed tremendously, and it happened around the same time your described your near death experience. Maybe Selene sees you and recognizes your effort Avril. She sees your struggle and she sees your triumphs, and she will never give you more than you can handle."

"So I guess, saving Terra is back on?" I bit my lip letting his words fall on me. The shame was still a little biting, but not nearly as much as it was in the beginning. Instead the determination was setting in.

"I've always-"

"Believed in me?" I finished his sentence and with a genuine smile stretching his face that mirrored my own, he nodded.

"Me too. I've always believed in me, but sometimes I find it hard to remember that."

Once again admiration danced across his face. "Ike is such a lucky guy." He sighed. "Just remember Avril, my brother has flaws and he can be an idiot sometimes, but I know he cares about you. He's shitty at showing affection because sometimes giving his all his scares him, but I have a feeling with you he's been trying."

Softly, I nodded, thoughts swimming to Ike. My sweet Ike.

"Forgiveness is always for you Avril. I know it hurts, because I practically feel your pain like it's my own, but Avril, you're one in a billion. You'll do the impossible, and you'll save Terra. It's like it's part of your destiny. I'll be waiting for your safe return because I know you can do it."

"I miss you Ingel." I smiled, a tinge of sadness in my tone.

"I miss you too Avril."

"We'll be heading to Dyteria in a week." I told him and myself. No more playing around, no more running. I, no, we, Ike, Mist, Nydale, Ingel, Kaiya, and I were going to finish this once and for all. We would get the Orb of Tranquility back and the Nobellian people would prosper once more.

I had seven days to get this right. I had seven days to get myself right and we all had seven days to get our group right, but it started with me. Not too long ago, Mist had explained that in my absence the group had grown fragile. Perhaps, I could work in gluing us back together.

Using the back of my hand to wipe the residue from my slightly blotchy face, I stood up. Resolve was settling over me, and I realized that I couldn't sit on the sidelines anymore and lick my wounds. I had to get back in the ring and fight once more.

Was I still hurting?

Yeah, I was.

Was I still slightly lost on how to make everything better?

Hell yeah.

But I couldn't keep trudging around in this fog, going through the motions but not really feeling anything. I had desensitized myself to everything with a few emotional setbacks of course, yet when I had done this I had ultimately tuned myself out from my main objective, which was to get the orb of tranquility back. The talk with Ingel had put everything back into perspective.

I glanced down at the screen only to see Ingel smiling softly at me.

"What?" I asked feeling a small smile stretch on my face seeing his.

Slowly he shook his head. "Nothing, that look on your face just reminds me of the time you told off my father and everyone else after your fight with Belladonna in that restaurant." He chuckled lightly at the memory. "You remember that? When you declared you were done taking shit."

Letting a tiny snort, the smile stretched my face as I thought of that. "I do in fact. I am in charge of my own destiny and I'm going to hop back in this ring. I may get a hit along the way, but I'll stand up."

Approval exuded from Ingel. "Next time you see me Ingel, I'll have the orb of tranquility, we'll have the orb tranquility back You guys just hold on tight, we'll be back in no time."

"I can practically feel your determination through the screen." Excitement lit his voice.

"Take care Ingel, I'll see you in little bit." I told him. "I have business that I need to take care of."

With a small nod and pride practically made his eyes glowed. "You take of yourself, big sis. I love you."

His words made my heart flutter and warmth rush into me. "You stay safe, little bro." He cringed and I laughed. "I love you too."

And then he was gone.

Allowing the device to fall into itself and fold back into a compact size, I shuffled it between my hands for a few moments coming to terms with what my decision really meant. The time to wallow in my pain has passed and now I had to embrace and everything that came with with it. And I think I knew the exact place to start.

-------------

As the pink hued grass touched against my bare soles, the wind carried a hauntingly quiet breeze through the fields of the gallows. All by myself, I was able to actually see what the gallows really looked like. Before, I hadn't had a lot of time to make out the dull details, but I realized that the gallows consisted of various prison holes dug through the ground. As I passed one jail cell and peered into it, above ground, I could see three women prisoners sitting idly in it. The floor made out dirt and the smooth rock walls that were way too high to attempt at climbing made sure the women had no place to run. I could practically feel the taint of death in the air and a small shiver raced up my spine mentally seeing images of the tribe's enemies being cut down.

"Alien girl."

My steps froze at the voice and I turned slightly only to see a warrior peering at me with a blank expression that gave nothing away.

"What are you doing?" She asked, muscled arms crossing against her chest.

"Going to talk to someone." I simply stated.

Silence fell over us as the women, who most likely was in charge of standing guard at the gallows, peered at me with the same poker face as mine etched into her expression. I was just beginning to think she was going to try and force me to leave when she suddenly tilted her to the right.

"She's in the gallows to the far right." The warrior stated simply, blank face still there but her interest in me no longer there.

With a small nod of gratitude, I took her advice and walked to the farthest gallows. Seeing that this prison was different and actually had stairs, I took a deep, calming breath before I decided to go down the stairs.

"Aye, are you just going to stand there looking crazy or are you going to walk down the stairs and finish this." The pestering voice of my conscience buzzed into my head.

"I'm collecting my thoughts!" I hissed.

The voice snorted. "You been collecting your thoughts for like five minutes. Come on, we're not getting any younger, babe."

With a scowl appearing on my face, that no doubt made me look more intimidating, I ignored the pushy voice and began to stomp my ways downstairs.

"It's honestly too easy to make you mad. Work on that."

This voice grated at my nerves!

"Ditto!" It responded, but quickly grew silent as I stepped down to the last step to take in my surroundings.

A cringe built within me and threatened to be let out at the sight of Teelah, but I held it back as my eyes took her in.

With vines tightly trapped around her wrists, twisting down to her arms, nature-based hanging manacles caused her body to hang probably in the most uncomfortable position ever, if I remembered correctly from my time being locked up.

Her body, which had already been thin to begin with, looked even tinier. Slight bone protrusion was obvious around her collar bones and hips. Her high cheek bones were more pronounced, but it didn't make her look more beautiful. Instead, all of it combined made her look gaunt and gangling. The camouflaged purple dress that I remembered her wearing on the day of my near death experience was gone replaced with a tattered black one that fell off her shoulders because it was too big.

"Aren't you supposed to be dead?"

The bitter words tore me from my analyzing and I moved my eyes to Teelah's face as I began to leisurely walk up to her.

Step one: Face my past demons.

"You would like that wouldn't you?" I smiled at her, but it lacked any sweetness.

Matching my displeasure with her own, she smiled the same bitter smile. "Of course I would. You being here means all of my hard work was for nothing."

I chuckled slightly, feeling the disgust rumble through me as I stared at Teelah. "Yeah, congratulations you've played yourself. I'm still here, but now you're here." I motioned around to the bare, cold jail space which had a wet grass smell that was all too consuming and the lack of light was all too depressing. "I win, you lose." I boasted watching the hatred of me build in her eyes as we continued to stare at each other.

A descent of hazel to a dark brown began to crawl across her irises as her eyes began to dimly glow. I could see the fury building, but it did nothing for me. Like her, I allowed my eyes to flash copper until they dwindled back to my usual eye color. "I can do that too, Teelah."

All at once her eyes slid back to their hazel color, but the glower remained. She thought she could intimidate me. Ha! She thought!

"Do I really lose though?"

"Yes." I cut her off, furrowing my eyebrows and looking at her like she was crazy. Oh wait, she was. "You're a prisoner on death row. Everyone has turned their back on you, not because they fell into a lie, but because they fell into the truth. You've officially reached rock bottom. But all I want to know if why?"

At the end of the day, I guess the answer really didn't matter. The events had already taken place, friendships and bonds had already been tarnished, there had been tears and there had been sadness, and now everyone was just trying to live with their choices. However, I was curious.

"Why should I tell you?" Teelah seethed, eyes so full hatred, hatred that I didn't even deserve.

Pointedly I glanced around. "Maybe, because everything you have tried to do has failed. You're done. It's over. What do you win at not answering one question? Either way, you've still lost." I really wanted to nail that point into her mind. I should've taken the high road, but fuck the high road. I wanted to let his bitch know that everything she had worked on destroying had failed. I was here.

Hazel pools of contempt looked at me, slightly shield by the tangled locks of her auburn hair. Silently I waited, placing my best poker face on. Even though I portrayed that I was calm and collective on the outside, inside was a complete different story. The churning and rolling fumes of fury were anxiously waiting just below the surface. How are you supposed to feel when you've come face to face with the woman who ruined everything and nearly killed you in her path?

With a defeated sigh, yet with eyes still stubborn and cold she stared in my eyes. Refusing to break whatever stare off she was trying to have, I leveled my gaze with her's face emotionless.

"Honestly, I didn't have a problem with you. You were simply collateral damage." I couldn't lie that stung. "You were in the way and you had to go. I saw that you were the one who kept everyone together and that made it even better. Take down two birds with one stone." A low, haughty laugh erupted from Teelah's dry throat.

"You say I've lost, but truly I have won. You and Ike are ruined. You're done. You can't fix something that's broken, and it's all because of me." The mocking in her tone made my fist clench. "You're as fragile as they come these days and you have no one to fall back on. Little Avril wanted to save the world, but little Avril can't even save he-arg."

The control that I had been desperately holding onto tore and my actions were quicker than my thoughts as I stepped up watching Teelah's face turn blotchy and red as she struggled to find the air that had suddenly left her lungs. Her body shook and her vine chains teetered as she began struggle.

"I'm tired of your shit! Fuck you Teelah! I'm done playing nice. I can save myself and I can save everyone else, but what realized is that I don't have to save anyone by myself because as a whole we're going to get this mission done. You tried to break that, but you can't and you won't. Do you even care that you could have doomed Terra for your own selfishness? Women, children, and men, innocents, would have died because of you."

I allowed air to flow back into her and she took a deep breath, chest pumping, and furious eyes staring back at me. "You bitch! You fucking bitch! I don't care about Terra! Everyone that I cared about is dead! So fuck everyone else, I don't care! Who cares if people die? Innocents die every single day and the world does nothing but said on their asses and turn their heads the other way until it finally affects them in some type of way."

"So does that make you any better than the people who do nothing?" I asked, eyebrows furrowed, honestly wanting to hear her reply.

"No, it doesn't but I know I no longer give a damn. I don't claim that I do. Fuck them all. They didn't shit when my parents died, when my little sister was torn to shreds by those Dynoats' lapdogs." Chest pumping, I watched the exertion and I watched the pain and resentment reflect on her face.

"They couldn't save everyone..." I began, voice oddly calm despite her quick deterioration as she struggled in her bondage.

"I don't care! Do you not realize that? I don't give a shit if Terra goes down!"

"Bitterness has got you nowhere." I shook my head, not allowing her screams to frazzle me as I internally fought to not fall into the comfort of my anger.

"It's got me nearly under Ike and-"

A sharp shard of water cut through the vines and Teelah was falling, only to be caught by me and ruthlessly slammed against the wall behind her. Her face scrunched into pain as my forearm cut across her neck. Red was beginning to paint my vision and my chest rapidly falling and rising as I struggled against the tendrils of pure fury to not rip Teelah into two.

Glancing down for a quick moment, I saw vines wrapping around my ankles in a warning gesture. Whatever, Nydale had did, he had made sure that the nature around us would make sure Teelah wasn't let loose until it was deemed that she needed to.

"Chill, I'm not releasing her." I told the vines as if they could understand me, but when they grew slack around my ankles, I had inkling that they could. Turning back to Teelah, the glow of my eyes flickered across her increasing red face.

The momentarily lapse of judgement was over, and I was done trying to sympathize with this girl. "Please, you've begged Ike for your attention this entire time." My chuckle was cold and as if feeling the biting wrath, she flinched as I loosened my arm slightly to allow her to breathe. "He doesn't want you Teelah. Once I came into the picture, you were irrelevant honey. You wouldn't even stand a chance against Belladonna." Eyes closed, refusing to meet my stare, she flinched again. Ah yes, she knew who Bellabitch was. "You haven't won, you may have disrupted a few things but everything can be fixed."

"I hope you die." Teelah seethed, darkened eyes opening.

"Same to you." I laughed at her words so full of hatred, misguide hatred.

"Then do it." She hissed.

Mutely, I stared into her eyes. The tension around us ceased for just a second as I looked upon Teelah's face. Her pale skin was tightened into something ugly. The deep, dark depth of her eyes were nearly chilling. At times I had pitied this girl because she had suffered so much, but now I couldn't care what happened to this girl. The soul that everyone loved to bring up had turned rotten, and there was nothing you could to help it. Such a pretty face, yet such an ugly soul.

I find it even more funny that while she hated me and killing me personally seemed to be her life's ultimate goal, my goals didn't necessarily reflect hers.

In fact, I had the opportunity now, and after what happened to me no one would probably object, but her death wouldn't be on my hands. She was weak, both mentally and physically and Avril didn't pick on the weak.

"No." I stated watching the hatred for me dim slightly as it was replaced with confusion. "You won't die from my hands, karma will get you and that's something I really believe in. I've got everything I've came here for and now just like with Ike, you're irrelevant to me."

Like I wanted she flinched, but her face grew livid again.

"He'll come for me." She clenched out.

Before I could answer, an arm was wrapped around my shoulder and a kiss was placed warmly on my temple. The storm that had been brewing within me calmed, and I turned to Ike only to see him looking down at me with pride before his eyes stoically turned to Teelah who looked surprised to see him.

"No, no I want. I won't ever come for you Teelah because just like Avril said, you're irrelevant to me."

Real hurt glinted across her face this time. Stepping back into Ike's embrace, my forearm left her and she crumbled to the floor only for the vines to come and slither towards her, wrapping their tendrils around her wrists and arms and pulling her back to where she started. I took a deep breath, trying to accept his touch like my heart wanted me to do and not pull away from it like my mind was urging me to do.

"How long have you been listening." I questioned, attempting to distract myself. "And how much did you hear?"

"For a while." He simply said. "And enough to know you were ready to end her not too long ago. Who knew you were that possessive over me?"

I began to frown playfully at him until his next words. "But I know you wouldn't do it."

"How come?" I bit out. "Isn't that what you all expect from me? To hurt her?"

He didn't take the bite and instead remained calm to answer my question. "Because I know your character and I refuse to let any outside forces ever again influence how I see you. I know my mistakes now and I won't make them again. And you don't pick on the weak." He added.

"Pathetic!" Teelah's mocking voice sounded in the background and I ignored the annoying Chihuahua and let his words settled over me before I simply nodded and began walking to the stairs.

"Why are you covered in bruises." Anger exuded from his voice, and I rolled my eyes.

"I've been fighting to let off some steam." I merely said, hearing Teelah's voice elevate and the sight of us leaving and her realization that she was staying here all in her lonesome once more.

"Did it work?" Ike questioned. Teelah's frantic pleas for us to "wait" and "come back" falling on death ears.

"Yup." I simply said.

Ignoring Teelah who was now hanging imprisoned again, we walked continued to walk away from her.

"He'll come for me!" She cried softly only for us to ignore her as we began to ascend up the stairs, her words playing on repeat and merely shaking my head because just like Ike said, Teelah was now irrelevant to him.

VOTE. COMMENT. THOUGHTS. FEEDBACK.

Here's the next upload. I've made it pretty long because I probably won't be uploading for another two weeks (please don't quote me on this because I'm super busy, sorry!!). Minor editing. A lot happened in this chapter. Are you guys keeping up :) Thank you all for your patience everyone!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

280K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...