Wild Side [h.s au]

By roundcats

The world is in war again, military bases being the only safe haven for the population in the affected areas... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter & final note
New story!

Chapter 13

19.6K 765 964
By roundcats

Elena

It's been a few days since H has allowed Alex and me to go on the mission and we have been spending almost all of our free time planning it to the tiniest detail. And today, we're finally ready for the attack, each person going on the mission knowing their part in it. Things have been hectic since early dawn, with soldiers running around, packing weapons and preparing the vehicles for our trip to the East where Vortex is settled.

H has been very professional with me these past few days, referring to me only as "soldier" while I settled for calling him "sir". His push and pull attitude confuses me, it seems as if he's attracted to me yet he's fighting against it, wanting to do what he feels is the right thing. I believe it's better we maintain our relationship like it is, I shouldn't allow myself any attachments to anyone in here since I know for certain it wouldn't last.

I'm currently in one of the weaponry storage rooms, looking at a wide, impressive collection of knives sprawled on tables in front of me. I've run out of places to put them, both of my boots are full, my uniform is completely loaded, my belt heavy with a few guns. I'm armed enough to take down the whole base myself, I can only imagine what hundreds of us will do to Vortex.

"Hello," a voice says behind me, familiar, yet not enough for me to be able to match the voice with the face.

My body swivels, my eyes locking with the pair of brown ones belonging to Liam. "Hey," I reply, uncertain how to speak to him since this is the first time he's directly spoken to me.

"We haven't officially met," he says as he takes a few steps toward me, a slight smirk on his face. "I'm Liam." He extends his hand, his heavily tattooed arms and neck on display since he's wearing a plain black v-neck.

My hand envelopes his cold one, my head nodding. "Yes, I know. I'm--"

"Elena," he finishes for me, pulling his hand from mine. "We're grouped together and we're going in the same vehicle, so I didn't want things to be awkward. Louis and Tori are also with us."

"Great," I say, my hands playing with one of the knives. "You ready for the attack?"

"Oh, I'm always ready," he replies, his lips pulling in yet another smirk. "I've heard you're good with knives," he adds, his head nodding toward the one I'm holding. "Since we're in the group together, mind showing me what you can do?"

I contemplate his offer, my eyes glancing at all the people around us. "Here?" He nods, pulling his pierced lower lip with his teeth. "Alright, stand by that wall." I motion to our left.

"You won't use me as the target, right? I'm too attractive to die," he jokes.

"I guess you'll just have to trust me," I taunt, my lips forming a smirk.

He chuckles, his body moving toward the wall a few metres away, his back pressing against it. "Stay away from this," he points to his face, "and especially this area," he motions to his crotch. "I need both."

I take a few knives in my hands, stepping a bit closer to him, but far enough for it to be a challenge. My eyes narrow as I calculate the distance, my body taking a special stance. I shift all the knives in my left hand, freeing the right one I use for throwing. "Ready?"

"Aye, captain." He winks.

I take the first knife, lifting my hand and placing my right foot forward, finally throwing the knife. It whizzes through the air, landing just beside his left ear. "You still want me to continue?" I ask, taking in his now pale face, no trace of a smile on it.

"Of course." He nods, his Adam's apple bobbing as he takes a gulp. "Go on."

I shrug nonchalantly, throwing another knife which lands beside his right ear. I then proceed to throw the rest of them, almost outlining his whole body on the wall. When I'm done, a few cheers and claps echo around me, my head turning to see what's the commotion about. I haven't noticed a few soldiers that have been watching me throw the knives, their expressions showing amusement.

I notice Alex among them and he rolls his eyes, mouthing "show off" and pretending to flip his non-existent long hair in a dramatic manner.

"That was sick," Louis tells me, a bright grin on his face. He lifts his palm, expecting me to high-five him, which I end up doing.

I feel someone's touch on my shoulder, followed by Liam's body moving in front of mine. "That was terrifying. And hot." He laughs lightly. "Not that I'm flirting." He lifts his hands. "Just saying."

"Is this a thing with you guys? Everyone feels the need to make flirty comments about my sister in front of me," Alex says.

"If you're done with playing games," H's deep voice is heard above everyone else's, silence quickly filling the room, "I'd appreciate it if you all went back to your duties. You're leaving in a few minutes." His eyes are slightly narrowed, no humour or amusement present on his features.

"Okay, time for the goodbye hug!" Alex says cheerfully, spreading his arms for me.

"Yaasss!" I say with equal enthusiasm,  my lips pulling in a smile.

I step toward him and sneak my arms around his torso, feeling the warmth of his body. His arms wind themselves around me, squeezing tightly. "The goodbye hug" is our little ritual we have every time one of us is going on a mission, as a way of showing we care and wishing good luck. Actions speak louder than words, after all.

As everyone quickly scatters, we pull away and fist bump each other before he runs outside. I decide to follow Liam and Louis, wanting to help with the last preparations. However, a hand clamps over my shoulder, my body being pulled back gently. My gaze drifts to H's green eyes, his expression less stern than a few seconds ago.

"You won't regret it," I tell him, feeling like he needs to be reassured. I appreciate he's decided to put his trust in us since he had valid reasons for doubting us. I hope his doubts will dissolve after today's attack and Alex and I earn to be a part of this base, even if it might not be for too long.

He nods, his hand reaching for my cheek as he takes a cautious step forward. My heart immediately picks up its pace and as if I'm drawn to him, I instinctively take a step toward him as well. I expect him to say something, but instead, his head bends slightly, his lips pressing to mine.

As soon as I register what happened, he pulls back, his palm still pressed to my cheek. "Take care."

My lips part, his actions and words leaving me stunned and wanting more. But before I can even say anything, he's walking toward the door and leaving the room, my cheek still feeling tingles where his hand previously was.

. . . .

"So, why isn't H going to this mission with us?" I ask. "He seems like the type of person who wants to make sure the job is done right."

"You're right, he is. But H doesn't go on missions," Liam says, his eyes briefly moving from the road to glance at me, "ever."

"Lou, you're basically sitting on me," I hear Tori say to him, both of them settled on the back seat. I wanted to sit next to Tori, but Louis pushed me away. I've learnt their relationship is based on banters and funny innuendos, but neither of them wants to admit what is so obvious.

"It's more comfortable that way," he replies and I take a glance at them, seeing a playful grin on his face while Tori gives him an odd look.

"Fine," she says through a sigh and Louis slowly takes her hand. Tori doesn't say anything, only wraps her fingers around it.

I smile and turn back, leaning on my seat, adjusting the rifle in my lap.  Despite the light atmosphere in the vehicle, anxiousness is settled in the pit of my stomach. I wasn't expecting to cross on the East side ever again and the closer we are, the more nervous I get.  I'm used to these types of missions and I don't have a problem with that, it's the fact that the base is connected with a very dark period of my life, every bad memory I can think of having something to do with Vortex.

My eyes focus on the scenery, seeing nothing but dirt, ruins where houses in this small village we're driving through used to reside, scrap metal, items which used to be a part of the furniture.  The cement road is almost completely covered in grass and roots growing through the cracks in it. I've always wondered what it was like for people to live before the war broke out. I faintly remember the stories my parents were telling me, considering they were around my age when things have started to change in the world, so they had seen things I won't ever be able to see.  Sadly, the majority of people who had been able to experience life in peace are now gone, and the rest of us are only left to wonder.

Alex and I were born in the time when the war had been raging for a decade, in a completely ravaged and desolate world.  We've known nothing but death and hatred while growing up, even though our parents had tried to do their best to protect us from it. Unfortunately, it's hard to show the light to someone who is so used to the darkness.

"Oi, you guys alive?" Niall's voice suddenly comes through the earpiece. "Is there blood yet? Give me some juicy details."

"You're supposed to contact us only when there's something important, you twat," Liam scolds him, but his tone is laced with humour.

"I'm bored, that's important," Niall says, sighing. "You get to have all the fun while I'm stuck here."

"You need help, you little psycho," Louis says.

"Niall, what the fu-- get away from the mics!" I recognise H's annoyed voice. "If you break anything, I swear I'll tell everyone you have STD's and you won't get laid ever again."

"Chill, I was just talking with the gang," Niall replies and there's some kind of shuffling in the background. "Ouch, what'd ya do that for?"

"This equipment costs money," H tells him. "It's not Niallproof."

"You do realise the last time you had contact with high tech stuff, you tripped over nothing and broke it all," Niall retorts. "It'd be safer in baby's hands."

"That was one time!"

"Guys, we can hear you," Louis deadpans, rolling his eyes.

"No, shh, I'm loving this!" I whisper, waving my hand. When it appears I'm the only one, I quickly add, "no, uh, we should focus on the mission. . ."

"Oh. . ." H mumbles. "Niall, how do you shut this thing off? Stop laughing you idiot and--" the connection cuts off, all of us bursting into a loud chorus of laughter.

"We're nearing their borders," Liam informs us, a frown quickly taking over his features. He slows down a bit, scanning the open environment. There's a long line of Hazard's vehicles in front and behind us as we carefully drive toward Vortex. Alex is luckily right in front of us, so I can stay close to him.

"When we manage to break through their defence, everything else should be easy," I say.

"When not if, huh?" Louis says, his voice laden with amusement. "You're awfully optimistic."

"It's because I know we're capable of dealing with them," I reply. "We're more badass."

A familiar forest soon comes into view, its trees and shrubbery circling the wide expanse of ground Vortex is covering. Each base is protected and hidden in the depths of trees, with vast land, roads, and remnants of the villages and the city in between, separating one base from another.

My hands clutch the rifle, my eyes narrowing as I inspect the landscape for any signs of suspicious activity. We're deep in Vortex territory now, so I'm surprised we haven't encountered any scouting groups or guards yet. A bad feeling settles deep inside me, warning me something's wrong. They should have been here, guarding the entrance into the woods, behind which the base is settled. It's peaceful and empty.

"Liam stop the vehicle!" I instruct. "Tori, Louis, tell the others in front to do the same."

Liam presses the brake almost immediately, his questioning look settling on me. His hand reaches for his handgun while the other is curled around the wheel. I listen as Louis and Tori give my instructions to the others through the mics, my heart starting to pound.

"Elena, what is it?" Liam demands.

"Something's--"

Before I can finish my sentence, loud explosions surround us, pieces of dirt and rocks flying up in the air where the bombs and bullets hit the ground. Liam is quick to press the gas pedal, probably wanting to find a safer place for us where we can fight back.

Unfortunately, the enemy soldiers open fire at our vehicle, one of the bullets penetrating the tire, causing the vehicle to swerve off its course, our bodies leaning to the side as it spins. Once it stops, my eyes widen when I glance at the rearview mirror, seeing a group of Vortex soldiers with bombs a few metres away.

"Get out! Now!" I shout, my hand quickly grabbing the handle and opening the door, my body jumping out, my feet carrying me away.

Before I can even check if Liam, Louis, and Tori have managed to jump out, a bomb hits the vehicle, the blast of the explosion shoving my body forward, causing it to hit the ground.  A grunt escapes my mouth, my vision slightly blurry, a ringing noise present in my ears. Parts of the vehicle fall all around me, my hand reaching for the rifle I've dropped.

As I slowly gain composure, I recognise Lou's and Tori's muffled voices, meaning they're most probably not severely injured. Pain shoots through me as I shift onto my elbows, somehow managing to stand on my feet again.  Bullets and bombs are flying all around me, screams and shouts of soldiers from both sides filling my ears.

Tori is shooting at a few Vortex soldiers while Louis is on his knees huddled over Liam, trying to get him to react. I decide to help Tori and open fire at the soldiers, watching as their bodies fall down on the ground. I quickly run toward Louis and Liam, seeing a gaping wound in his leg where a piece of glass or metal has ripped his skin.

"Is he conscious?" I ask. "We have to move him out from the open."

"Yes and no," Louis tells me. "Shit, get up, Li."

My head turns, my feet carrying me toward a group of Hazard soldiers. I quickly demand they help us with Liam and two bulky young soldiers follow my instructions. A slight shot of relief floods through me, my eyes glancing at the absolute chaos around me, worriedly looking for Alex. I can't find him.

"Tori, let's go!" I shout, waving her over. We follow Louis and the soldiers carrying Liam toward the woods, serving as their cover, opening fire at anyone who dares to even look our way.

I don't understand what went wrong, this shouldn't have happened, we were supposed to surprise them, not the other way around. This attack was supposed to be a warning, a response to Vortex for the shit they pulled with Rogue, trying to frame us.  We expected them to defend themselves, but we weren't expecting this large number of soldiers, armed to their teeth. It's almost as if they were ready for us.

A strong pain courses through me, a pained gasp escaping my lips as my hand clutches my side, my knees giving out.  I realise I've been shot in the ribs, but I'm luckily wearing a bulletproof vest which stopped the bullet from ripping through my flesh, but the pain is almost as grand. However, I can't mope around, I have to move if I want to live.

"Unbelievable, I knew it was you," a voice says. "Elena Wilder."

My head tips back, my eyes looking up at the male soldier in front of me. My face pales as I take in his brown uniform, the one only Vortex soldiers wear. My gaze slides up to his familiar face then a handgun pointed at me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 17.6K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
1M 44K 89
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
3.7M 124K 39
He was destined to be evil; it was in his blood. He was destined to kill; it was in his blood. But destiny takes a turn when he does the unexpected...
644K 32.3K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...