ELUSIVE (Book 2)

By hidden_1nk

Sawyer & Opal, how it starts. More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER: 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95

CHAPTER 86

74 9 12
By hidden_1nk

I'm sitting in the living room. I can't stop shaking my legs and taping my fingers to the rhythm of the ticking clock. I chewed most of my nails of earlier.

Sawyer is going to be home any minute and I didn't get to figure out how to fix the problem I created. I kind of just left it hoping it would go away on its own. I'm not sure if I'm stupid for doing that or genius but either way I am not ready to face Sawyer the moment he walks into the door.

I keep staring at the front door and back to the clock.

"Morning." A gruff voice echoes and I turn startled and let out a small scream. Everything is throwing me off guard.

"Evan." I say evenly as I watch him walk slowly into the kitchen but he stops and turns to me with a smile.

"Can't wait for the show that's about to erupt when Sawyer gets home." He mocks and I roll my eyes.

"I did nothing wrong." I glare at him.

He breathes in through his teeth which makes a clicking sound, "We will see about that." And with that he leaves me alone.

I hear the twist and turn of the doorknob and I brace myself. My heart is beating out of my chest. A random man enters the house with luggage and I feel somewhat relieved and I get up.

Sawyer walks in. He's in casual clothing, and looking down at his phone.

"You couldn't carry your own luggage?" I goad and he slowly looks up to me. He stares at me for a while before he breathes in deeply.

"You couldn't..." he stops himself from replying and turns to luggage guy instead. "Thank you. That's all." He pats luggage guy on the back and proceeds into the kitchen.

Not even a hello. Can't tell if he's pissed or just exhausted from the flight or both.

I hesitantly follow after him, but before he enters the kitchen he turns to me and I crash straight into his chest.

He looks me up and down and I try hiding my growing stomach. I hope he doesn't notice, I hope he doesn't notice.

I'm watching his every move, weary on what might happen next. Is this where I get an earful or a mouthful. I get neither, instead he comes closer to my ear and whispers.

"You look different, beautiful, almost glowy." He says and I gulp down at the passive aggressive comment. He shoots me a teasing smile and I stand there for a moment too long as he walks into the kitchen.

He wants me caught off guard so he can attack.

I feel the presence of one of the guards following me once again and I sigh out, annoyed. I barge straight into the kitchen and straight to Sawyer who is having a laugh and a drink with Evan.

"You're home. Now tell your guard dogs to get off my back and stop following me." I poke at his chest. He slowly takes a sip of his drink and continues to say something in a different language that Evan seems to understand and they both laugh. They laugh.

"Hey!" I snap my fingers and Sawyer finally turns to look down at me.

"No." He says evenly and I frown, not expecting that answer.

"Morning." Avery barges in and she stops mid track and sees Sawyer standing tall in the kitchen. She looks between the both of us, my eyebrows creased and angry and Sawyer calm and collected.

"Morning." Both Evan and Sawyer say. Wow, I didn't get a morning from Sawyer. I look at him but he doesn't bother to look at me.

"So no arguing yet? Can you guys wait until after my breakfast is ready so I have food and a show?" Avery teases. I look at Sawyer who smiles at that response, not expecting that reaction. Again, he doesn't look to me.

He's ignoring me without ignoring me completely. I grunt and I watch Sawyers head twitch slightly but he holds the urge to turn to me.

I quietly take my seat at the kitchen table. I watch as all of them converse and Avery brings up the house fire.

"Opal almost burned the house down." Avery teases.

I screech my chair back, "Did not." I glare at her and she laughs at my reaction. I clear my throat and sit back down, embarrassed by how much I over reacted but Sawyer has yet to give me attention.

I kind of zone out after that. I'm not sure if it's hormones but it stings that Sawyer is treating me differently.

I excuse myself and head back up for a quick shower and get ready for the day.

When I come out Sawyer is sitting on my bed.

I don't move. I cross my arms over my chest as Sawyer plays with the watch.

"You're not allowed to be angry." Sawyer finally says. His deep voice breaks the silence and comfort of my room and I shiver.

I don't say anything and bring my arms closer to me.

"I tried playing nice but you didn't listen." Sawyer softly says.

"No. You played by the rules you wanted. You gave me a few options and you wanted me to choose like a toddler." I counter. He quickly stands up and walks over to me.

"Again. You're not allowed to be angry." He says.

"Well I am. You always make me feel like a helpless child." I raise my voice but he continues to stay calm.

"Because like a child..." he emphasizes and continues, "you get into trouble and don't know how to fix it. Fucking other peoples lives on the way." He says and my stomach sinks. Okay that might be true, but it's not like I do it on purpose.

"It's the only way I learn. By doing." I shrug. I know my switch to a care free attitude bothers Sawyer when he tugs at his curls.

"How many times did you jump?" He says and I look up trying to remember.

"A few." I don't tell him a definite number. He nods as he stares at the watch.

"I have to assume you did some damage." He says and my stomach sinks. He can't possibly know the damage. The damage will go away on its own. "Silence is everything, Opal." He says and I just stare at him.

"You've done it so many times, what's the difference if I?" I question.

"Where did you go?" He asks and my eyes widen. He walks closer to me and I'm cornered between the wall and the dresser.

"I made sure no one saw me." I tell him and he shakes his head. "I wish you could have seen it. Seen us. We have a beautiful..." he covers my mouth with his hand.

"I don't want to know." He says and I lick the inside of his hand. He pulls away with a grunt and wipes his hand on his shirt.

"Such a goddamn child, Opal." He glares and I smile. Except this isn't our usual banter. He's so angry he's calm. Something is off.

"Don't you time hop whenever you want?" I question, getting angrier that he doesn't care to listen to the adventures I had without him. "Or are you mad that I went without you?" I question.

"Neither." He breathes and I take the watch from him.

"Fine let's go back together and see what I saw." I tell him and I quickly snatch the watch and switch the time and the last thing I hear is Sawyer angrily shouting my name.

We both land in my room. I look to Sawyer confused.

"It didn't work." I tell him.

"Idiot." He grabs the watch from me.

"All problems solved. It doesn't work." I smile. I'm relieved because now no one can follow me back if they have a watch. I don't know this makes my brain hurt.

"Can someone please fucking explain what the fuck is going on!" We hear shouting from downstairs.

"The watch works Opal, you just time hoped a couple months into the future." He says. "Why the hell am I screaming?" He says and slowly opens the door.

"Maybe we shouldn't be here then." I tell him and try to pull him back into my room but he flinches me away and slowly walks out into the hallway. I follow after him and we both squat by the stair railings out of sight from everyone. I can clearly see me standing, huge belly can definitely tell I'm pregnant and Sawyer on one knee.

Sawyer doesn't turn to look at me as he watches the scene before him unfold.

Future Avery walks in front of me trying to protect future me from screaming Sawyer.

"Let her explain." Avery says and Avery tries maneuvering Sawyer to the couch but he stands his ground.

"Opal." He says my name and future me looks terrified yet determined. What the hell am I doing? "Is it true?" He asks.

Is what true? I move in closer needing to hear what future me is about to say to future Sawyer.

She nods, "I'm pregnant." Future me says and my stomach sinks when I feel Sawyer beside me whip his head to look at me.

I look down and sigh out.

"You're pregnant?" Sawyer beside me asks and I slowly look up at him. "The signs were there." Sawyer whispers to himself but before he can say anything else future Sawyer kind of explodes.

"Im going to kill him." Future Sawyer yells and Evan has to hold him down.

"Is it mine?" Sawyer asks and I turn to him and the sadness that comes from Sawyers face makes my heart break. He knows the answer just by my silence. He doesn't say anything as the commotion with future us continues to erupt downstairs.

I follow after Sawyer, being forced to be in his silence.

"Sawyer, say something. This isn't how I wanted you to find out." I tell him and he turns to me.

"Was your intention to let me believe it was my child?" He says. My heart sinks at Sawyer calling the baby an it.

"He. It's a boy." I whisper and he stares at me. He's trying to control his breathing. He shakes his head.

"I don't believe this." He says as tears rim his eyes. I go in for a hug but he pushes me away like I've burned him. "Don't." He says and I swallow hard unable to comprehend what is going on. Out of all the times I choose it lands on this one. Sawyer isn't ready to hear I'm pregnant.

"I'm sorry." Is all I can muster to say. Sawyer wipes tears from his eyes as he tries to hold in his sobs. "Look, I know you're upset with me, but we need to work together on this one." I tell him.

"Just like you worked together with with him." He says, anger flowing out of him like waves, as he tries to strike me with his words. "But it's more than just being upset with you. What you did? You betrayed my trust. How do I know you won't try this again?"

"I promise I won't." I try convincing him but he's already shaking his head.

"And if you break that promise?" He counters.

"Then I wouldn't be able to live with myself." I tell him. He continues to shake his head, my words not comforting him at all.

"I can't do this Opal." He says. He walks over to me and angrily pulls at my hand and we're engulfed into darkness in seconds.

Once we're back home Sawyer lands first on the bed and I land right on top of him. I notice his eyes are rimmed red like he were talking crying.

I swear a moment ago we were just making out.

"You're crying? Did I accidentally hurt you? I fell pretty hard." I ask and wipe the tears from his eyes. He grabs my hand and slowly strokes it with his thumb before he pulls himself together and smiles up at me.

"No. Nothing like that. Just missed you." He says and he picks up his head to kiss me on the nose. He gently slides me off of him and I frown.

"You sure?" I question.

"Goodnight Opal." He whispers and closes the door behind him.

I sit alone on my bed, a sinking feeling growing the more I'm alone with my thoughts. I can't help but feel like something is wrong.

I toss and turn in my sleep and I throw my pillow across the room. I want to scream, cry, vomit, and run away. The anxious feeling doesn't go away and I tiptoe to Sawyers room.

I knock on his door and when I hear silence I slowly push the door open.

"Sawyer." I whisper and walk over to him.

"Go to sleep Opal." I hear him groan from under a pillow.

"I can't help but feel like I did something wrong." I whisper. "I can't sleep." I tell him. I hear him shuffle and he turns on the bedside lamp. He squints at the brightness then yawns then looks at me annoyed.

"Here. Take some melatonin and goodnight." He says. He hands me a small water bottle and pills. He waits for me to swallow and he shuts off the light.

"Goodnight." He says and I'm forced to sleep alone.

———————————————————————
Hi! Long time no update 😭
It's a short chapter but I hope you enjoy! 💕
Hope you're doing great! (:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

886K 5.5K 102
This book contains my favorite collection of novels.
69K 1.5K 60
[18+] READ TO FIND OUT!
882 14 16
Read and find out!!
624 149 35
An adventure story