The Romanov Series Book #1: M...

By jmhallewell

Sometimes things aren't always as they seem. What we believe about a person may not be so and what we don't i... More

Author's note
Cast
Prologue
Chapter One: What Could Have Been Mine
Chapter Two: Paycheck
Chapter Three: A Job
Chapter Four: Rude Awekenings
Chapter Five: I know You!
Chapter Six: The Mediator
Chapter Seven: The Casanova
Chapter Eight: Family Reunion Part 1
Chapter Nine: Ghosts
Chapter Ten: Family Reunion Part 2
Chapter Eleven: The men in her life
Chapter Twelve: Bad Dads
Chapter Thirteen: The Street Urchin
Chapter Fourteen: Overdue
Chapter Fifteen: Impulsive Family
Chapter Sixteen: Not A Lawyer Or A Doctor
Chapter Seventeen: Grand Father
Chapter Eighteen: Of Dark Legacies and Dark Princes
Chapter Nineteen: A little Push
Chapter Twenty: Final Preparations
Chapter Twenty One: Ghosting Games
Chapter Twenty Two: Difficult Kid
Chapter Twenty Three: The Problem List
Chapter Twenty Four: For The Man I Love
Chapter Twenty Five: Goose Chase
Chapter Twenty Six: What Happened To Ferrer?
Chapter Twenty Seven: The Dark Prince
Chapter Twenty Eight: Leverage
Chapter Twenty Nine: Conjugal Visit
Chapter Thirty: Chasing Shadows
Chapter Thirty One: Almost Checkmate
Chapter Thirty Two: Checkmate
Chapter Thirty Three: Farmhouse
Chapter Thirty Four: The Boss
Chapter Thirty Five: Where is home?
Chapter Thirty Six: The to-do list
Chapter Thirty Seven: Random Decision
Chapter Thirty Eight: What I Saw
Chapter Thirty Nine: The Gift
Chapter Forty: Acceptance
Chapter Forty One: Pissing Contest
Chapter Forty Two: Intervention
Chapter Forty Three: The Safe Choice
Chapter Forty Four: You Messed Up!
Chapter Forty Five: Not Big Enough
Chapter Forty Six: The Storm
Chapter Forty Seven: Ambivalence
Chapter Forty Eight: Hasty Decisions
Chapter Forty Nine: Dear Bestie
Chapter Fifty One: Baby, I do
Chapter Fifty Two: This Moment
Epilogue

Chapter Fifty: No Show

276 55 22
By jmhallewell

Ferrer's POV
The four women looked at me like I'm mad.

I expected earfuls from tgem but they merely looked at each other then at me. The silver eyes hold the usual cold wintery aura. I can't tell whether she thinks I'm mad. The playful green ones are up for the challenge, no doubt to see me embarassed. The soft brown pair probably pity me and the stew blues, well she's daring me to.

"Well?" I got fed up of the silence.

"Are you bloody mad?" Naila asked me. "She chose another man. She's getting married."

"Let the man try! I think it's perfectly romantic to he stolen away on your wedding day!" Bea agrees with me.

"Being stolen away is one thing." Coleen spoke up. "Being stolen away and brougjt to another wedding is-"

"Loco Ferrer! Loco!" Dani joined in. She gave me a thorough lecture in rapid Spanish. "For those of you who haven't understood, I'm saying that it's insane. She does not want to marry you! She's hekl bent on the other man. What if webdo all this and she says no?"

"At least he would have tried." Bea spoke in my favor. "Ferrer, if she says no, you would have tried. You won't live with regret. I'm in. I will help."

The other three looked at each other. "Fine. I dont want to be the friend who never helped!" Naila agreed.

"I'm not sure how this will end but I will help." Coleen got on board. "Dani, you being the youngest are officially over ruled. You are in charge of flowers. Naila, cake and food. Bea, clothing. I'll take care of everything else."

"Thank you." I kissed each one of them on the cheek.

"Question." Dani raised her hand.

"We are not in a bloody classroom Dani! Why are you raising your hand?" Bea teased the youngest in the room.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize!" Naila chided her.

"Stop bullying the poor thing!" Coleen came to her defense.

"I'm trying to ask a question!" Dani snapped. "How are you bringing her to the wedding? She lives with him, right? How is she getting here?"

Kei helped me come up with this plan. She convinced me it would work. I also trust it should. I'm trusting her love for me.

"Kei will bring her."

"What role is Keira playing in this?" Naila asked.

"Maybe she will seduce Federov away!" Bea laughed until her head fell back. The others gave her disapproving looks until she stopped laughing.

"I don't know her plans. She assured me Katya will be here tomorrow at four in the evening. I want everything to be ready before she does. I'm counting on all of you."

"We have your back." Naila assured me. "Go do groom things."

"Before I forget, Kei said blue is the theme."

"Which shade? There are many!" Dani exclaimed.

"Knowing Katya, the darkest. Navy." Coleen suggested.

I left them debating multiple options.

It's good to have people who know her handling this. I'm taking a risk. If she says no, it will hurt. I'll never heal from it. But if she says yes, then it will be good. The point is not to give up until there is no more hope.

"They are in." I informed the guys.

It was a round of applause band congratulations.

"We need to get ready then. Do we have time for a bachelor party?" Sinclair asked.

"No parties mate. He can't be found at fault." Tony refused.

"Then let's go out and get our clothes! I have an hour before work!" Cole suggested.

I'm not thinking about anything but the marriage itself. Even if we marry in our pajamas it's fine by me. The rest is for her sake. I want her to look back and be proud of how our special  day will turn out.

"You guys go ahead. I have to talk to Terrence and her mom as well as her sister. Will Nick be there?"

They looked at each other and it was finally up to Tony to answer. "It's short notice. He's in Sicily doing... stuff. Just call him mate. I'm sure he won't miss your big day. Who is your best man?"

"Uh..." I looked at all four of them. Bruce doesn't care. He's busy texting on his phone. It's probably Dani on the other end. The guy who preferred to call now texts because of Dani. Cole is a good option. We go way back to the day we met when he paid me to wash his car. But Katya is not his biggest fan. Sinclair and I are not close. That leaves Tony. "Nick."

"What?" They all asked.

"Kei will be the maid of honor. It's only fitting that Nick is my best man."

"Ouch mate!" Tony touched the left side of his heart. "My heart is breaking. Oh good Lord it hurts!"

"Stop the drama!" Bruce shoved him.

"Guys, ask Naila for the colors. I'm off. I have so much to do!

My first stop is my son. He's in school. It's Thursday. I can't wait till later because I have to get through her mom and sister. The dim chance of Federov losing is thrilling me.

"Again?" The secretary gave me bad looks. "Why is he constantly being pulled out of class?"

"Because whatever I have to say has to be said now."

"School will be over in six hours."

"I need to ask his permission to marry his mother." I informed the secretary. "I haven't been in their lives. He is responsible for her. It's his permission I need before I marry his mother. I'm pressed of time so please, por favor," I pleaded softly. "Let me see him."

Without any further objection, she called Terrence.

He came running. He looks troubled. "Is it mom? Is the baby here already?"

Katya is none months and mire stubborn than ever! The baby will come any day now. I don't want to miss her birth.

"Calm down buddy. I want to show you something. A few weeks ago, I got this." I showed my son a ruby ring. "What do you think?"

"I don't know much about rings but it's something!" He smiled at me. "Is it for mom?"

"Yes. Terrence, I would like to ask your mom to marry me. But before I do, I need to your permission. I need to know you approve."

"I approve. But dad, isn't she marrying Federov tomorrow?" He frowned.

"Kei has a plan."

"Aha... Yes she does. I approve. Today, tomorrow, any day, I approve!"

"Thank you. That's all! Go back to class! Thank you!" I waved at the secretary.

I went to the address where I can find Katya's mom. We haven't spoken in quite some time. The last time was when I was in Russia. I had just broken up with Katya. She wasn't happy with me.

I rang the door bell several times before someone opened the door. 

"Look at what we have here! Hi." Katerina smiled at me. "Where are my flowers? How can you visit me without flowers?"

"I don't have any."

"Go get some." She slammed the door in my face.

I rang the doorbell again. "Katerina, look." I showed her the ring. "It's about Katya. I need to speak to your mom."

"Why didn't you say it's a wedding! Come in! Come in!"

I am thankful that Katya is not as crazy as Katerina. I never know what to expect from her!

"Mrs... Laura."

"Ferrer. I wasn't expecting you. What do you want?"

"May I sit?"

"I hear it's a free country." She shrugged.

I took a seat. "Katya and I are having a daughter. It's a matter of days."

She smiled at me. "Katerina, make the doctor some tea."

"Vodka?" She asked me.

I know Katya must be dying to have the baby so that she can add vodka to her tea. For some reason I started laughing. "Just today."

"I know she's almost due. I know it's a girl. What I don't know is why you are letting her marry Federov."

"I have tried to talk her out of it."

"You haven't tried hard enough." She countered.

"I want to marry her and I have a plan. I just need your permission."

Katerina brought the tea for me but a glass of vodka for her mother. "Katya is torn between you and Federov. You may be the father of her children but Federov is the stability she craves."

"I understand."

"Your absence makes you a flaky choice. I'm not going to dwell on your faults. What are you bringing to the table?"

"Stability. A family. Permanence."

"It's easier said than done." She spoke in a serious tone.

"I am well aware of my track record. I want to be better for her. That's why I want to marry her. I am ready to commit and stay put. Please give me a chance."

She looked at Katerina then at me. "I won't be an impediment to Katya's happiness. She loves you. I know that.  It's the only certain thing. You have my approval."

I hugged her.

The woman took her time before she reciprocated. It was brief. Katerina didn't let go when I hugged her. Her mom had to pry her off.

Now the wedding.

Keira's POV
"Kei, anything?"

"I'll go check." I walked to the outside of the little chapel she chose to have the wedding in. Katya in a chapel! It must be the hormones! There's no one in the parking lot. This wedding is supposed to be small. Terrence showed up to support her and so did Alexei. Our roles are just to be seen not that we agree with this.

I returned back to her.

"Is he coming? Is he out there?"

"I'm so sorry sweetie." I drugged her husband to be early this morning. He was out for a run. After spending the previous day with them I found out where he runs. I followed him and I gave him a little jab. Alexei and his men did the rest. I chose to leave Julio out of it. I would rather it be all on me when it blows up. Federov is well on his way to St Petersburg. He's not coming. I'm apologizing for making her wait for over two hours.

"Mom, should I have people look for him?" Terrence offered.

"Maybe he got cold feet. Maybe it dawned on him that this isn't practical and he left."

Katya's head dropped. Her tears followed. She dropped the bouquet and covered her face. She cried bitterly as we watched. The three of us are responsible for this but it had to be done! We don't trust Federov and it is better to be proactive than wait to react. If we are wrong about him, he can fight for her on another day. If we are right then we have prevented a disaster!

"Mom."

She wiped her eyes smudging her make up so badly that she resembled an angry clown. "Why am I not surprised? I'm so repulsive men can't commit to me. Please take me home. I want to go to my mom."

"Right away sweetie." I agreed. Terrence took her hand. They walked away as Alexei and I hanged back.

"Congratulations Regina mia. Federov is out of the picture."

"It was necessary. I'm not happy about making her sad but it was necessary. Excuse me, I have to make a phone call." He excused me. "Guys, it's on. I'm bringing Katya to Ferrer's place."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 210 43
You ever wonder why certain things happen
464K 8.6K 34
*editing* As long as she wanted to be his, he will always be by her side one way or another. +++ People thought they got together fast. Way too fast...
1.1K 121 36
Elliana had a normal life, she had a great job, friends, never got into trouble, always followed the rules until she met him. Will she be able to st...
12.3K 824 21
Things aren't always what they seem....