ELUSIVE (Book 2)

By hidden_1nk

Sawyer & Opal, how it starts. More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER: 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95

CHAPTER 65

94 9 20
By hidden_1nk

I stir awake, my eyes too heavy to open. The sound of rain hitting the window keeps me calm and I look over to Sawyer sound asleep. I don't notice his arms are wrapped around my waist until he tightens around me. I scoot closer to him and lie my head on his chest.

I close my eyes once more and feel him rubbing my arm. He isn't asleep. He's been up all night. I sneak a peek at the time, it's almost four in the morning. I feel him kiss me on the top of my head,

"Are you okay?" He asks, his voice deep and full of sleep. I look at him confused before my sleep is gone and my memories from the day before floods my mind. One look into Sawyers eyes makes me tear up. I try holding in my tears but I'm unable too. The immense amount of sadness just hits me all at once. I hide my face in his chest as he pulls me closer to him.

I don't remember coming back to my room. I must have fallen asleep and he carried me up here. His warmth makes me feel drowsy once again, and I cry myself to sleep. I feel safe in Sawyers arms. I fall asleep to the sound of the peaceful rain and his heartbeat.

The morning light makes me squint and stir awake. I'm alone on the bed and I sit up. I can feel my hair all over the place and I just plop back down. I pull the blanket over me. The memories of me and my family happy, and loving run through my mind. The memory of my mom dancing to any music that was on. My dad always with a video camera recording every and any moment no matter how significant it was. Me being annoyed, me growing older and being mean to both of them. The guilt is eating at me. Why was I so mean? I wish I could hug them both one last time.

I feel the bed dip beside me.

"I got a warm bath running for you." I hear Sawyers deep voice. It's small, like he doesn't want to disturb me. I feel him squeeze my shoulder and I shutter.

With a sigh I slowly get up. Sawyer softly smiles when he sees I'm folding the blanket. He doesn't say anything he just watches me. I'm glad he isn't talking, his presence is enough.

"There's water right there. And a few berries." He says and I turn to the side table he pointed to. There's a water bottle and a plate of cut up fruit. He sees me scrunch my nose.

"At least two bites." He encourages and I take the water.

"Don't make me force feed you." Her sternly says and I frown. He gives me a pointed look and I roll my eyes. I grab the fork and plop a few berries into my mouth. I'm really hunger, the first bite making me want more. I end up eating the whole bowl of fruit. He walks over to me and looks at the empty bowl,

"Good." He says and he kisses me my forehead.

I head for the bathroom and take the longest bath I've ever taken. My tears are mixed with the bath water and I close my eyes.

"Hey." I hear a knock at the door. It's Avery. "Just want to make sure you're okay. You don't have to talk, but just knock twice." She says and I smile. I knock on the bathroom wall twice. "Okay good. We're all here." She says and I nod, forgetting she can't see me.

By the time I'm ready to head downstairs everyone is already sitting around the kitchen table. They all stop talking as soon as I come in. Avery is the first one to rush to me. She embraces me in a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry. If you need anything just ask." She whispers into my ear. "I'm sorry." She says again as she pulls away from me. I give her a small smile. "Nancy made breakfast." She perks up, and points to the table full of food. I look for Sawyer but he isn't on the table.

I sit next to an empty chair.

"I know we can't replace you're really family. But just know you've been family this whole time." Evan tries to comfort me which makes me laugh a little.

"You made her laugh. That's a good sign." Avery claps.

"Thank you guys." I tell them.

I look at the food. I'm not sure why I'm so hungry. The butter filled pancakes smell so good and I grab a plate and start eating.

"You're still eating?" Sawyer walks in shirtless and takes a seat beside me. His arm touches mine and he smiles at me.

"Hey, Evan. Pass the syrup." Sawyer sounds almost playful toward his brother. Almost as if they were in high school and late for practice.

Today is Saturday. Why isn't Sawyers class here?

Nancy barges in and immediately runs to me. She pulls me from my seat and rushes me out of the kitchen.

She embraces me in a hug, "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I wish there was something I could have done." She rubs my back and for some reason her hugs remind me of my mom and I burst into tears once again. I thought I was composed but her hug breaks me. I squeeze her tighter not ready to ever let go.

"Jesus Nancy. What did you do?" Sawyer storms into the living room.

"Shh." Nancy shushes him and he zips shut.

"This is the most difficult thing you can experience. And I'm sorry." Nancy squeezes me one last time and let's go of me. I have stopped crying but tears continue to run down my face.

I can feel Sawyer in the room watching me as Nancy tells me she's here to cook whatever I want her to cook.

She leaves the room and I'm left alone with Sawyer. I don't know how to grieve and all I feel like doing is cry.

"You left your pancakes." Sawyer says and hands me the plate.

"Thanks." I take the plate from him and start eating.  Sawyer takes a seat beside me, our knees touching.

I look at him, confused. He's still shirtless, he should be getting ready.

"Don't you have class today?" I question. He shakes his head,

"Cancelled it." He curtly smiles.

"Why?" I question and I take another bite of my pancakes.

"I need to make sure you're okay." He says and my heart sinks at those words. He cancelled his class for me.

"Oh." I say, and place the dirty dish on the living room table.

"Are you okay?" He questions.

"Are you going to keep asking me that every five seconds?" I question playfully. But he's serious.

"Yes." He says. He grabs the plate I left on the table and he heads to the kitchen.

I stand up and stretch.

Sawyer walks back in, a t-shirt on.

"The whether is shit." He says. It's gloomy out, but no rain in sight.

"Rain is the best." I whisper.

He grabs a random throw over blanket and sits beside me once again. The house is big so it's always cold. He pulls it over himself and over me and I lean on his shoulder as we watch the outside world through the large sliding door.

"Rain is nice." He agrees, almost sleepily.

"What happened to my parents?" I blurt out. I feel Sawyers shoulder tense.

He breathes out, "Car crash." He says quietly and I nod.

"The baby too?" I question. He slowly nods and I my eyes water up. He grabs my hand and squeezes it.

"Was the car crash an accident?" I question. Again Sawyer breathes in, and out.

"No." He says and I let go of his hand.

"Was it my uncle?" I don't need him to answer I already know the answer.

"Where's my brother?" I question. But Sawyer doesn't answer. He turns to me,

"He's safe. I made sure he's safe." Sawyer says and I feel relief wash over me.

"Why did he do it?" I ask and Sawyer shrugs.

"I'm trying to figure that out." He says and I nod.

"I hate him. I want him dead." I croak through my quiet tears.

"Hey..." Sawyer turns to me, He runs his thumb across my mouth and my tear stained cheek. "We're working hard to find him." He says and I nod. "He will pay." Sawyer nods, almost as angry as I am.

"It still hasn't set in." I speak up after a few moments of silence. It's starting to rain again.

"What hasn't?" He questions.

"The feeling that they're gone. In my mind their memories are strong and I'm scared that one day they're going to fade."

"I won't let that happen."

"You don't understand." I sit up now, but Sawyer pulls me back down, and I'm leaning against his chest.

"Hey, I'm not here to make you upset, okay." He says and I breathe out. "Help me understand." He says and I nod.

"I know what you mean by you won't let it happen. You're going to use the watch. Bring me back to the times my parents were alive. But I won't let you. That's torture." I tell him.

He doesn't say anything.

"Thank you." I tell him and I look up at him,

"For?" He asks,

"For being here. It means a lot." I tell him. He looks at me with concern, his eyes moving all around my face. I watch as his eyes linger on my lips longer than usual.

"Why did you kiss me yesterday?" I ask, curious and it's a good distraction from all the sadness today. He seems caught a little off guard.

"I never meant to hurt you. I push the people I care about the most away."

I don't know what to say to his words. I'm not ready for this conversation.

I know he feels my heart racing.

"How did you find out about my parents?" I question. He immediately sits up, shaking his head.

"You don't want to know." He says and I sit up and pull him back down to me.

"Please." I plead.

"They sent me pictures."

"Who? Who sent you pictures?" I question.

"Opal, I don't know. The package had no name no nothing. Just pictures. Awful pictures." His cheek twitches as he remembers what he saw.

"How long have you known?" I question.

"Opal..." he says,

"How long have you known?" I'm not surprised he's known longer than any of us, it makes me angry.

"Couple of weeks." He confesses and I stand up and away from him.

"You had this information for a couple of weeks and you didn't think hey I should tell her?" My voice is rising. Sawyer is quick to his feet, a few inches from my face.

"I didn't want to see you sad." He's keeping his cool, but his hands are clenched. His jaw tightens. I nod,

"So instead you waited for when you...." I poke his chest hard, "thought I should be sad?" I can't hold back my anger. I grab a pillow and chuck it at him, but it misses.

"That's not fair." He says,

As I'm about to open my mouth the door bell rings.

"I'm sorry." Sawyer says, and he walks over to the door. Before he answers it, he composes himself and fixes his disheveled hair.

He cracks the front door slightly and I'm unable to see who it is.

"Where is she? I want to see her." I hear someone shouting and Sawyer goes outside.

After a few seconds Sawyer comes back in. He seems irritated but the commotion seems to have subsided.

He opens the door wide open and two large men are holding a guy with a few suit cases. It's Drew. He sees me and he immediately starts trying to get out of their holds.

"Let me go, assholes." He pushes pass them and into Sawyers chest, glaring at him. He finally runs over to me and I rush over to him.

"Drew." I cry into his chest.

"It's okay. I'm here. You're okay. You're alive. I thought I was never going to see you again." Drew is crying and I hug him tighter.

I glare at Sawyer who is watching our small interaction.

"Are you hungry?" Sawyer asks Drew.

"How fucking dare you ask if I'm hungry? You're the reason my sister was taken and why my parents are gone. Just stay away from us." Drew shouts. He's about to throw a swing but the two large men hold him back.

"You can take him to his room." Sawyer let's the guys know. "You're welcome to join him, Opal." He throws me a small smile but at this moment I hate him. I'm reminded of everything he has done.

I don't bother looking at him as I follow Drew to his room. He's holding my hand like he's never going to let me go.

———————————————————————
Hey guys!
It's a short and sweet chapter since this week I have finals for my summer class.

I hope you enjoy. I'm sure next Sunday it will be a longer chapter 😉

Please comment and vote ❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

325K 4.1K 200
Just a bunch of Jiara oneshots. Be sure to check out part 2!
886K 5.5K 102
This book contains my favorite collection of novels.
219K 6.5K 14
(M/N). A young boy who is unable to speak. Not able to make a sound. To make up for it he has amazing art skills. His parents hated it. They didn't w...