Chapter Forty Nine: Cruel Summer

𝐕𝐢𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐭
𝐉𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝟐𝟏𝐬𝐭, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟎

" For once in my life, I have someone who needs me. Someone I've needed so long. For once, unafraid, I can go where life leads me. Somehow I know I'll be strong."

The music slowly increased the more I started to wake up and realize just how badly I felt. I couldn't even feel my head and my mouth felt sticky and sore all at the same time. Despite the music being on the lowest setting, I cringed at how it caused my head to throb even more. That was the least of my problems.

" Oh god!"

Tossing the blanket from my body, I placed my hand on my stomach and ran over to the bathroom feeling my entire world come crashing down on me. I crouched over the toilet, vomiting violently. The relief from the nausea was instant, but I carried on being ill. It wasn't until I felt a cool hand on my back that I realized I wasn't alone.

"Let it out. You're okay." The person spoke, concerned, rubbing small circles on my upper back but for some reason I didn't want to be touched.

I shrugged out of it as I sat up from the toilet, leaning against the wall to face Grayson. His eyes, though sleepy, looked full of worry. His hair was ruffled, and he wore a t-shirt and navy shorts. I looked up at him, wiping my mouth with the back of my hand.

" Oh...great."

"Are you okay?" He asked.

For a minute I thought of snapping something back but then realized it was just the hangover and feeling rocky that would make me say something sarcastic. I decided against it and nodded my head a little; he was just trying to help. I could feel my eyes watering from the force of being ill.

"I feel like a truck slammed into me." I murmured, my mouth suddenly feeling dry.

Trying to stand up to get to the sink and wash it out with water, I felt the motion unsettle my stomach again. Grayson's hands went out to help me as I leant back over the toilet, heaving. His fingers gently held back my hair to keep it out of my face; though this time he refrained from stroking my back, guessing I wanted to be left alone.

When it was over he flushed the toilet, and grabbed a glass from the bedroom to fill with water and let me drink. I started to chug it down appreciatively, feeling miles better now it was out of my system. He sat closer to me this time, against the wall too, and grabbed the glass out of my hands.

"Sip it. You don't want to get sick again." He carefully chided, but let me take it back.

I did as he told me to, even though I really did feel okay. He watched me and put it on the side when I was finished. My hands were pressed to the floor either side of me; longing for the coldness of the hard tiles against my flushed body. He placed his hand on my knee and I instinctively leant into him, placing my head on his sturdy shoulder. His hand moved to circle around me, knowing now it was okay to touch me.

"What time is it?" I asked eventually, my voice coming out hoarse.

" 10:30 AM. The others are already up." He said reaching up towards the counter and grabbing a blue vile." Drink this."

" What is it?"

" Sage made a potion that helps with the hangover." He answered and it took me seconds to take out the cork and swallow the entire vile ready to not feel so sick anymore.

With the last sip, I smiled feeling my headache instantly going away and the lights didn't seem to bother me as much as they use to anymore. It was like my strength was returning to me and I smiled being able to remember my name again.