Chapter Sixty Nine: A Hard Pill To Swallow

𝐀𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐲𝐬𝐭
𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟎𝐭𝐡, 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟖

I couldn't believe how good the day had turned into given how late it was in September. Sure, it was beginning to get cold, but it could be worse and right now, it just felt like a perfect combination of spring and fall weather. I smiled hearing the giggles of my daughter filled the air seeing the sheer excitement on her face the higher she went on the swings.

" Look how high you're going, Sage!" I shouted hearing another round of giggles filled the air.

" I'm flying!" She shouted back holding on tightly to the bars.

Ray clicked on the camera causing a picture to be taken," Yes, you are baby!" He laughed carefully coming around the swing to not get hit.

He smiled proudly to Sage wrapping an arm around my waist as we watched her have fun. Maybe we could have peace again. Maybe I could raise my daughter in a world where she didn't know her witch heritage. Feeling something vibrate in my pocket, I dug for my phone seeing my mother's name appear.

" I'm getting a call." I said to Ray moving to the side while he watched Sage." Mom, is everything okay?"

" Amethyst, where are you?"

The urgency in her voice caused my entire body to go stiff. I knew the tone. I thought I had stopped the tone by defeating those that caused it.

" At the park with Sage and Ray. Mom, what's-"

" Listen to me now! Get home, pack everything, and I mean everything."

" Mom, what's-"

" They're coming for her."

This was it. Peace had gone out the door. We were on the run and I knew I had to fight for the family I had. Hanging up the phone, I turned quickly racing over to stop the swing and carry Sage in my arms knowing every second counted.

" Ray, we have to go."

He frowned," Why?"

" Mommy, I want to stay." Sage begged, but I shook my head grabbing Ray's arm to hurry him to the car.

" We can't. Come on."

𝐕𝐢𝐨𝐥𝐞𝐭
𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝐭𝐡, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟎

I groaned feeling a ray of sunshine penetrate my half open eyes. Dammit. I knew I had to get up but all I wanted to do was stay here with my head on Grayson's bare chest and his arms wrapped around protectively around my waist. I didn't want to go to school and learn or have to endure something Paris would say that would make me want to punch her. I loved the way he held me close as if he was afraid to let me go. I loved the feeling of it.

I sighed in content as I looked up at the beautiful sight of the man I loved peacefully asleep. He looked like a vision lied there, he looked so calm and content that the thought of leaving made me just not want to leave at all. I ran my fingers through his messy hair earning a small groan from him; he always loved it when I did that. If all my mornings included this view, I decided I really, really would like mornings a little bit more.

"You're staring." Grayson muttered without even opening his eyes and I licked my lips, eyeing him up and down shamelessly.

"Guilty as charged."

He opened his eyes and smiled at me, his hand reaching out to brush my hair off my face.

"Morning."