Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen - Cockiness 

- Madeline's POV - 

"You alright?" I looked up from the balloon I was tying to see Matthew staring down at me concerning. Ever since the call with my father, I have been pretty quiet and to myself. I nodded lazily at him in response. 

"Yeah, just... tired," I sighed, glancing to my right finding Martin in the corner fiddling with what seemed to  be his DJ equipment. I still cannot believe he actually agreed to come 'help' us with this dance. A part of me felt like he did it to be with me but another part thought that he was just wanting to keep an eye on me. 

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" his tall stature was massive compared to Martin's. Just as he said this, I felt Martin's eyes now on us, or should I say me. 

"Get back to work," I laughed, punching his shoulder playfully. I did not feel like answering questions at the moment, especially with the devil staring at me. 

"What's he doing?" Matthew asked in a whisper, tying off another balloon. 

"I have no idea," I had to hide my laugh. I never knew that djing was that complicated. I always thought they just pressed a button and play music, but I guess that is not the case after all. 

"I'm done with this shit," he groaned, letting an untied balloon fly out of his hands. I laughed again at him then I gave him a glare. "Why the hell did we sign up to do this?" there was an amusement in his blue eyes. 

"Hey, this wasn't my idea!" I shot back, my mouth gaping open slightly. I noticed Martin's glances were becoming more frequent. Inside I felt bad because I was not able to talk to him. Trust me, if Matthew was not in here, I would be over with Martin the whole time. 

"This whole dance idea is dumb as hell anyways," he rolled his eyes. "They're just doing this to keep people out of trouble," he muttered, adding spitefully. 

"Or," I looked up at him again. "They just want us teenagers to have fun," I suggested the more logical answer. But who am I kidding, there is no way that this thing is going to be fun.

"I can smell the delusion coming from you," he said with a sarcastic tone. 

"Ha ha, very funny," I looked away at him and around us. I had no air left in my lungs after all of the balloons we had blown up. Also, to add to that, we were still not done. Kill me now. 

"I feel like I'm at in eight year old's birthday party," he said looking around as well. "Aye, Martin," I furrowed my eyebrows at Matthew. What was he doing? 

"Hm," Martin mumbled, not looking up from his 'toy'. 

"What do you think about this? Does it look alright?" Matthew asked. I could not tell if he was being legitimately nice or not. I'm going to go with no on that one. Martin glanced up, looking around quickly.