Chapter 41

Chapter Forty One - Something About You Has Changed

- Madeline's POV - 

Walking my way back to my dorm, I feel a pit settling in my stomach. To put it lightly, I'm slightly terrified from what is going to happen with Haley. Only God knows what she is going say or do. A part of me begins to wonder if I should just come clean and stop lying. I mean, who knows how much longer Martin and I can sneak around - hell, are we even trying to sneak anymore? 

A lot of possibilities run through my mind if I were to tell her. One of them being her blowing up on me and potentially never speaking to me again. Another one being that she'll run and tell everyone, including Matthew. I don't really know why I'm thinking about him. Maybe it's because I don't want to hurt him, but I can't continue to act like there is something there with Matthew, when in reality, there hardly isn't anything. 

Matthew is seriously a great guy and he is everything that most girls would want. What my parents would want for me. I could tell I upset him earlier, but I didn't know how else to get the message across. We definitely need to talk and I need to be the one who stands up for myself and tell him that I can't do it anymore with him. Whether or not I'll mentions someone else (a.k.a. Martin), is still hanging in the air. 

I bring a fist to the door and knock a couple of times because I forgot to bring my key with me. A few seconds later, the door swings open and Haley stands there with a look I cannot read on her face. She steps aside for me to walk in without saying a word. 

I can already feel an awkward tension rising in the room and I can tell she has something to say. I take off of my shoes and take my hair out of the ponytail, letting it fall almost everywhere. I seriously need a haircut. 

"Sorry I was out for so long," I speak first, trying to make it seem like nothing is wrong or that I don't feel the tension emitting from her. 

"That's fine," she replies nonchalantly which catches me off guard. I definitely wasn't expecting that. I stay silent as I look around for some new clothes for after my shower. "What were you doing?" she suddenly asks and I feel myself freeze up. Well, here it is. 

"I took a run with Matthew," I explain calmly, gathering my things into a pile, "I thought I told you," I turn to her and give her a confused look. 

"Well yeah," she shrugs, "I was just wondering because he stopped by and said you ran off," I almost drop whatever was in my hands as she says this. What the actual hell, Matthew? I quickly regain my composure and act like nothing happened. 

"Oh," I mutter, trying to think of something quickly to say, "I just thought we were done, so I left," I exhale a deep breath. Something in me just doesn't feel right lying so much anymore. As my mother and father always said; lying gets you nowhere. I feel like I should listen to them for once. 

"Hm," she purses her lips and I immediately know she doesn't believe me. "So, are you guys still," she pauses, as if she is searching for the right thing to say, "Working on the relationship?" she raises one of her eyebrows at me.