Chapter 60

Chapter Sixty - Five Minutes

- Madeline's POV - 

I feel myself beginning to freeze up and nerves arising in my stomach. What in the hell is he doing here? In Oxford? I give Catherine once last glance before Martin fully approaches us, his eyes glued on me. 

"What are you doing here?" I ask, my tone slightly defensive after a few moments of uncomfortable silence. Catherine nudges my arm with a force and I have to stop myself from rolling my eyes. She doesn't understand what he has put me through. 

"I need to talk to you," he says simply, him sounding like he is trying to control his temper. He looks better than yesterday, that's for sure, but something about him is off. I just can't seem to place a finger on it. 

"I'm busy right now," I breathe out, inhaling his scent, trying not to melt to my knees. Who the hell does he think he is, showing up here, thinking everything was going to be better? His eyebrows furrow before he takes a glance at Catherine. 

"Can we talk in private for a moment?" he asks Catherine and I look at her with wide-eyes, screaming at her mentally a 'no'. Her eyes twinkle for a second, before she licks her lips. 

"Yeah, no problem," she tells him politely before looking at me with a smirk. I give her the most devilish glare as she walks away from Martin and I. 

I take in a deep breath, making sure not to come in contact with his eyes. They'll pull me into him and I cannot have that. No matter how much I want it, I can't let him control me. 

"Mads," he speaks, his voice raspy yet assertive. I don't answer him as I begin to chew on my straw, staring aimlessly over his shoulder. "Mads," he repeats, stepping towards me this time. I feel my nerves arise and I take a step away from him. 

"What do you want?" I say almost frustratedly, taking a moment to check myself. I will not cry in front of him - I refuse. 

"I fucking told you," he says, his tone harsh. He sounds equally as frustrated with me as I am with him, but does he not understand that he needs to leave? For the sake of my own good, he needs to go. But you want him here, my subconscious scolds me. 

"Martin, I don't have the time right now," I shake my head, running a hand through my hair, "You need to go," I tell him, even though it pains me on the inside. I still see a faint bruise underneath his cheekbone. What's he been up to? 

"No, I'm not leaving," he says, taking another step towards me again. His scent lingers its way into my nose and I find myself not wanting to step away from him. 

"Why? It wouldn't be the first time," I spat, smacking myself out his daze. His green eyes narrow at me and his jaw clenches angrily. However, his face suddenly relaxes and he lets out a deep sigh. 

"I really have to talk to you," his eyes soften and his tone is a dramatic change to just seconds ago. I give him a confused and pained look, unsure of what I should tell him. On one hand, I need him to go away, but on the other, I want to talk to him. I need to know if he's okay.