Chapter 1

Chapter One - Perfect and Hell are Synonyms 

- Madeline's POV - 

"This will be good for you Madeline, trust me," my mother was looking through my suitcase 'making sure if I have everything', but in reality, she's making sure I do not have anything in the form of 'sin' and 'vulgarity'. I pulled up my jeans slightly and caught a look from my mom. For god sakes, I just pulled my pants up! 

Welcome to my perfect life. Well, I like to call it hell. But I make sure I do not speak up about anything or according to my parents, I will be going to hell. Honestly, as of right now, I do not care. The only thing I am thinking about is going to Camp Sage. A musical camp for musicians (obviously), but this one is a little bit different. It's not even at a camp, it's at a college campus. When I first told my parents about it, I'm surprised they let me go. They weren't all; "Madeline! That is a place just dripping with sin!" and all that bull. They just said okay and here I am, about to leave for two months. 

I heard my fathers footsteps coming towards my room. I turned my head to look over my shoulder to see my dad, looking back at me. I knew he was wanting to say something, but I didn't know what. 

"Okay, you had everything. Are you ready?" My eyes turned to my mom, who was smiling back at me. 

I nodded slightly. "Yeah, I'm ready," I gave her a small smile. I bent down and grabbed my backpack, throwing it over both of my shoulders (because one is the slutty way to do it). My dad grabbed my suitcase and we all went downstairs together. I adjusted my navy blue cardigan and looked for my guitar. 

"Madeline, over here," my dad was holding my guitar case. I walked over to him and he handed it to me, along with something. "Don't open it until you get there, okay?" I looked down at the white envelope. 

"Okay. Bye daddy," I reached up to hug him. His arms wrapped around my frame and he whispered in my ear.

"I love you Madeline, have a good summer," I nodded in his chest to his words. 

"Love you too," I managed to say letting go of him. Saying that, a part of me was lying. I guess you say I love him by default. I exited my house in what felt like forever. It was partly true. I haven't really been out since school was let out about three weeks ago. I looked around my neighborhood for one last time before I loaded everything in my mom's car. I still had that note in mind. I genuinely have no idea why he would do that. 

Once my mom turned the car on, a slow country-gospel song came through the speakers quietly. I had to restrain myself from rolling my eyes. I hated this type of music, but sadly it's the only type I'm allowed to listen to and it is the only type I've listened to. Insane right? I've never heard pop, rock, eighties or nineties, dance, nothing else. Although at school one day, I heard a few freaks listening to screamo music, but that was horrid. 

"Do you have the pamphlet with you?" I asked, looking around the small space.