Chapter 39

Chapter Thirty Nine - Closure

- Martin's POV -

"Are you ready?"

"Yes." It is no use into even trying to cover up the shakiness and nervousness in my voice. I can feel everyone's eyes on me and it only makes my nerves kick in even more.

"Okay, so, I understand you have brought legal papers from America," Hans begins talking towards them and I keep my gaze focussing on something in the distant.

"Yes, we've received more evidence from the police and court," his father begins to speak and I feel ashamed I can't remember his name. Michael? Micah? Hell, whatever. On another note, what does he mean by he has more evidence?

"May I see it?" Hans asks and his father nods without hesitation. He slides the semi-thick stack of papers over to Hans. I glance down at them and then back up. Unfortunately, they land straight on his sister, Avery. Her eyes burn into mine but I can't read them at all.

"About two months ago, they reopened the case and they found out more about the other driver," his mother opens her mouth and even though, it may not seem like I am listening, I really am.

"I see," Hans says slowly, his eyes scanning the papers at a slow pace. "It says here that the other driver admitted to being intoxicated as well?" he adds in a questionable tone.

"Yes. The police had an interrogation with him when they reopened it," his father explains and I feel a chill run down my spine.

"Was there anymore details about the accident found?" Hans asks, his eyes glance at me for a split second. I feel my stomach turning. With all of these papers reciting what happened and them talking about it; it's getting to much. And it hasn't even been five minutes.

"Yes, a lot actually," his mother's voice shakes, "Also.. a few more things came out, about Austin," she breathes in and out slowly. I can only imagine how she must feel, especially with me sitting right in front of her.

"Martijn, do you remember anything about the accident?" Hans turns to me and my face drops, turning a pale color. A lump forms in my throat, not sure of what to say.

"Pretty much, everything," my voice trails off at the end. Every time I think about it, I shutter and wish I could take everything back.

"What about before?" Hans questions and I begin to wonder why he is asking this stuff. Then again, I can't necessarily question or smart off to him here.

"Yeah," I answer bluntly, looking down at a random spot on the table. Hans doesn't say anything else as he continues reading the papers. Him and his father begin to talk about something, but I don't make it out because I'm not really listening.

Once again, my eyes land on the papers that have everything recited on them. When my eyes scan them, I feel lightheaded but heavy all at the same time. It feels like I am there again, reliving every second.