Chapter 2

Chapter Two - Vanilla and Honey

- Madeline's POV - 

Walking through the campus was surreal. I've never seen anything so big and structured. At my high school it was just a long brick building with a few columns here and there. This campus however had many buildings made out of stone and what-not, it was beautiful. 

"What are you hungry for?" Haley's voice broke my deep thoughts. We walked along the sidewalk beside the road, her on my left. My stomach growled at the short thought of food. 

"Um, not much, just something to hold me over... I guess," I shrugged my shoulders in the process. I kicked a few pebbles along the way to the cafeteria. It was not that much further until we reached the large space of tables and chairs. We were the only people in here besides a few cafeteria ladies. I looked around not seeing that much but just a few baskets of fruit and vending machines. 

"Hey Mrs. Venna," Haley's smile was practically emitting from her voice. The lady she was apparently talking to looked up and smiled when she met us. 

"Hello Haley, how have you been?" Mrs. Venna's smile lit up the whole room. She did not look too old, maybe early forties. Her khaki's and blue polo looked like something I would be forced to wear. Not going to lie, I felt a little self conscious not knowing anyone unlike Haley. She let off like she knew everyone and everything about this camp. I mean, she knows the cafeteria ladies and that Martin Garrix guy. The thought of Martin made my brain itch. I wanted to know more about him and why Haley told me to 'stay away' from him. 

"I've been good, hope you had a good summer," Haley said looking around at the vending machines. I quickly took notice of Mrs. Venna staring at me. Goodness what is with people and staring? 

"And who is this?" Mrs. Venna spoke with curiosity. I was going to speak up but Haley beat me to it. 

"This is Madeline, but call her Mads" she paused a second. "Newbie on the block." I smiled at to her and then suddenly her face fell a bit. Did I do something?

She took a deep breath. "Well, watch out for yourself hun," her smiled returned. What is that supposed to mean? I feel like ever since I've gotten here everyone is telling me what to do. I came here to get away from that, not experience it again with different people. 

I finally had the nerve to speak up. "Do you have anything I can eat? Like an apple or something?" Once again, I felt like a kitten when talking. 

"Oh, yeah sure honey, just grab you one out of the basket." I thanked her and walked over to one of the many woven baskets. I grabbed a bright red one and noticed the fifty cent sign. Crap, I had no money. I looked back over at Haley and Mrs. Venna who were in a conversation themselves. There is no way I am going to ask for money on the first day, let alone just fifty cents. I put the apple down and backed away, settling that food can wait. Once I made it back to the two of them, they gave me a weird look.

"I've decided I can just wait," I brushed it off like it was nothing. Haley nodded slowly and dazed off behind my shoulder, a slight smile forming on her face.