Chapter 57

Chapter Fifty Seven - London Town

- Madeline's POV -

My drowsy eyes are hard to keep open as I wait through baggage claim, praying to God it didn't get lost through my connected flight. It's almost three in the morning and I'm starting to feel myself falling asleep. Somehow, I got the best sleep in the past two weeks on a plane, but now my body is craving a bed I can actually lay out on.

Overall, my flight wasn't bad, minus the kid who would have a temper tantrum every hour or so. Thankfully, I brought headphones and blocked his annoying ass out. While I'm waiting, I think about calling my parents, but then I'm too drained to do so. I make a reminder to call them in the morning.

After about ten more minutes of waiting, I spot my carry on and I grab it quickly. I just want to get out of Heathrow and go to my hotel. It suddenly dawns on me that I have to be at Oxford at 11 A.M. Now I really need to hurry if I want to be rested in a few hours.

It takes me about another twenty minutes to get through the airport and so far, (mostly) everyone has been polite to me. Considering how uncomfortable I am right now, their kindness brings comfort to me. I know I probably look like the biggest tourists right, but I couldn't care less.

The air is chilly outside, something I'm still not used to from the states where it's still getting almost eighty degrees everyday. The cab driver helps me put my things in the trunk and I feel a little vulnerable where I'm traveling by myself. I have to brush it off and not think about that movie Taken I saw a few years back.

"Where to Miss?" the guy asks a little too cheerfully for this time of the night. I grab my phone from my back pocket and go to my notes, where all the information I need resides.

"Uh, The Grange Holburn hotel," I try my best to give him a smile as my tired voice trails off. He nods once before he puts on his seatbelt, driving off from the massive airport.

It's strange yet amusing for me to see the guy driving on the other side of the car. I have never understood why cars are like that here. I brush off my delirious thoughts, staring out the window, trying to stay awake. I have no idea where this hotel is or what it looks like, but I do know that I'm too exhausted to think about it.

The drive is longer than I expected, but on the way there, I already see so many beautiful and different things. I cannot wait to see and look around when it is actually daylight.

All of the bad things that I have been dealing with for the past two weeks, have completely left my mind - including him. I find myself not caring anymore. I'm getting used to being without his company and I don't mind being alone.

I know I have to move on and this is the first step. I have this amazing opportunity that begins tomorrow and even though I am tired, I'm still as excited as I was when I first found out. The biggest concern I have, is finding people that I like and that I could be friends with. There is only twenty Americans here while there is probably hundreds of other Brits and possibly other countries too.