Chapter 7

Chapter Seven - Goals

- Madeline's POV - 

I was well aware of the stares Martin and I were receiving as we walked through the campus. I could feel blood dripping down my leg under my sweatpants, making me feel gross. Just the thought of blood made me want to throw up.

"Do you even know where you're going?" I asked Martin, feeling his eyes on me. I refused to look at him and kept my own eyes ahead of us. 

"Yes dummie," he slightly laughed. Suddenly I felt his arm around my shoulder, pulling me to him. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. That has never happened to me. Am I supposed to do something? I could feel my face heating up. Being this close to him, the smell of his strong musky cologne filled my nostrils. It smelt good though, so I was not bothered by it. 

"We're here," his Dutch-English said happily. I had not even noticed we were near a building yet. It looked like a small office building and that essentially what it was. When we entered we both were greeted by the small girl who checked me in on the first day. 

"Can I help you?" The lady said. I just realized I had already forgotten her name. Martin's arm left my shoulder and I was about to speak but he beat me to it. 

"She needs to see the nurse," he said leaning on the small counter. I unexpectedly missed his arm around me. It felt like I was safe from everything in that short period of time. 

"Third room on the right," the lady smiled at me, not acknowledging Martin any. I muttered a thank you while Martin scuffed. He followed me down the hall to the third room and I saw the nurse sitting at a computer desk. She looked up and smiled. Her eyes flickered to Martin and her smiled dropped a bit. Hm, weird. 

"What do you need?" She looked back at me, standing up from her seat. 

"I scraped my knee pretty bad," I said walking further into the room. I could sense Martin's eyes behind of me, making myself tense up. 

"Let's take a look, sit down," she patted the bed-couch thing. It reminded me of the beds back in the middle school nurse's office. I propped myself up on it, leaning down to pull up my sweatpants. The blood had dripped down my leg, drying slightly. 

"Ooh," she said observing the scrape. "Let me go get some more supplies," she stood back up, leaving the room. Which left Martin and I. Alone. 

I kept my eyes focused on my hands, knowing that he was watching me. I could not decipher if this was awkward or not. I glanced up at Martin who had his arms crossed across his chest. Suddenly, he picked his feet up, walking towards me. My stomach tightened as he stood in front of me. 

His arm extended out to my head, grabbing the elastic holding my hair up. He pulled it down the length of my hair, letting all of it fall free. I looked at him confused and he gave me a smirk. 

"I like it better down," he said flinging the hair tie across the room. Nervousness was settling in my stomach now that he was this close to me. My eyes were drawn to his face, the cheekbones, the jawline, he was like a full European package. His eyes traveled down my face, smiling slightly.