Episode 65: Mystery of Power

I closed the door of my room behind me

I closed the door of my room behind me. Taking a deep breath, I walked over to my bed and threw myself into it. My eyes peered up at the miniature plane encircling my bed. It was a replica of a fighter jet that I had made with the twins' help when they were toddlers. Aoi almost broke it when she threw it off of the top of the southern building. Luckily, Akatsuki managed to fly over it and catch it.

I sat up from my bed and stared at the train set the table in front of the bed. There were multiple other model sets spread across the room.

"Maybe I should give up on being a mage," I said, putting a hand over my face. On the bright side, I could focus my time on being an engineer instead. But I was the next king. What kind of ruler could defend his people while lacking the means?

I gasped as there was knocking on the door. Did one of the others follow us? Or maybe it was my dad or uncle. Right now, I didn't want to see anyone. Especially my uncle. My trash performance had to have upset him. Possibly even as much as it disappointed me.

"Whoever is there, leave! I don't wish to speak to anyone right now!" I yelled. Though I said that, part of me hoped that it was Nyima. Then again, another part would prefer nearly anyone else but her.

I laughed. She was right about me being a kid.

The knocking continued.

I stood up and sighed. "At least announce yourself!" Wait, what if it's an assassin? I formed blades of stone underneath my sleeves and slowly walked toward the door.

"Please open the door, Iah," Azure's voice called out as I reached the doorknob.

"Azure?" I asked, opening the door.

Standing in front of me were my cousin and Adela.

"Hey," she said, smiling.

I jumped back in surprise. "You? Why didn't you announce yourself? You had me thinking that it was an assassin."

"I told you that he would be suspicious," Azure said, looking up at her.

Adela laughed. "I was hoping that he would be. Doubt that he would've stood up if I said it was you and me."

So, she used my curiosity against me... Smart.

I leaned against the archway and smiled slightly. "Not bad. You know me well. But why did you come here after telling the others to let me go?"

"I figured that motivating you would be easier without Nyima around." She averted her eyes. "She wasn't really helping."

I laughed. "Glad that you noticed."

Adela looked at me straight in the eyes. "Is right now really the time to sulk? Didn't we come here for a reason?"

I turned around. "Yeah, to liberate the capital from H.E.H., but it appears to be okay."