Episode 7: Feelings of the Core

*Nyima*

Mithril took us into another elevator, this one managed to bring us to the lowest floor of the mine. In contrast to the others, multiple workers rushed about the crystal-lit caverns as the sound of hammering and drilling echoed all around us.

"It's so noisy," Yen said, covering her ears.

"It is," I said, rubbing mine.

Mithril laughed and took out some earplugs from his pockets. "Sorry, forgot to give you these."

We all snatched them from his hand and put them on, managing to cancel out some of the blaring sounds.

"Much better," I said. My eyes widened. My voice was still clear...

"Are these enchanted?" Yen asked as she pointed at her earplugs.

Mithril nodded. "Yup, by yours truly!"

"Hey, Mithril, who are the kids?" a voice yelled. A red-haired, dark-skinned woman made her way toward us. Her orange eyes widened as soon as she noticed Iah was with us. Her shocked expression gave way to a smile. "Well, well, well, if it isn't the crown prince."

"The prince?" the other workers said in unison as they all turned to look.

The woman glared at them. "Back to work everyone! Show the prince how hard we work here!"

The others all turned their attention back to their work, some of them even began to speed up with their drilling and extracting.

"So, what brings you here, your highness?" the woman asked as she put her hands on her waist.

"I came with my friends here in search of some orichalcum."

"Orichalcum? Well, we got several, albeit none of the high quality kind. What are you looking to use it for, if it's not too rude to ask?"

Iah waved his hand dismissively. "Not rude at all. A friend of ours who isn't here wants some, as for what, I'm not exactly sure."

She rubbed her chin. "A friend and yet you aren't sure what that person desires to use it for?"

"Doubt that Elliot wants to use it for something sinister if that's what you're implying," Lei said, sighing. "He's a good guy, trust me."

"Hmm? I don't know you, so how can I?" she said, chuckling.

She had a point there... one couldn't trust a stranger's judgment of character just like that.

Lei laughed. "I guess you got a point, but I hope that once you do, that you'll trust in me."

The red-head crossed her arms over her chest. "Hmm, I see." She gasped. "Wait, I've seen you before! You were that kid who broke through that orichalcum target during the archery contest!"

Lei nodded. "Yup, that was me!"

"Huh?" Mithril said, glancing at Lei. His eyes widened. "Ahh, he is!"

"Woah, seems you've become a celebrity!" Kun exclaimed.

"Hey, you're that boy from the obstacle course, aren't you?" the woman asked, walking over to the white-haired triplet.

Kun grinned. "Yup! I'm Kun, the middle triplet and snowboarding pro!"

"Pro? Since when?" Lei asked, grinning.

"Since I rode that final part of course of course!"

Yuzuki sighed. "That was a bad pun."

"Huh? I didn't mean to make one..."