Episode 53: Chilly Memories

[Toran Castle- Underground Lab]

A pink-haired girl in a lab coat stared down at her board. "We've retrieved a few memories in the past several months. We know that you were born a blob and that you were given mana from one of the Pillars of Darkness, which helped you take on a humanoid form."

I nodded. "Yeah." Though, I wish that I could recall said Pillar's name. All I could remember about him and the others was that they were the council leading Abyssia, and that he referred to him as Master. What had become of them in the years since?

I glanced at the girl. Each time that I looked at her, I couldn't help but get a sense of nostalgia. She said that she was an abysmal like me and that she knew of me, so we had to have met. But how? Were we friends? Was that why she was helping me? But if so, why didn't she just fill me in on things? It would've been a lot easier and quicker. Though, if she did that, then I wouldn't genuinely have the memories of said events. Perhaps that's why she preferred this method.

"Ready for another session?" she asked, giving me a slight smile.

I nodded. "Yeah," I said, leaning my head back against the white couch. I closed my eyes and felt her hand on my forehead. Gradually, my mind faded.

***

I found myself floating over a younger version of myself. My real self was a thin, golden-eyed young man with blond hair. Well, it was mostly blond, the area around the roots was orange-brown, making it look dyed.

I was making his way toward a castle-like building. My golden eyes looked around. Once the coast was secured, I tipped toed toward the castle. It looked as if I was about to assassinate someone or was partaking in a rescue mission by how cautiously I moved.

My past self placed his hand on the castle wall and smiled. "Good, he's inside," he whispered.

Who was I talking about?

He tapped the wall several times. It didn't take long for me to recognize it as tap code.

'I... came... here... at... the... orders... of... Master... Kuroshi... to... save... you... Don't... be... afraid,' my past self tapped away.

It took a few a minute before there was a return. 'I... got... the... message... But... my... sister... is... still... unconscious,' the one on the other side of the wall tapped.

'Do... not... worry... Omatsu... will... help... her... For... now... put... your... hand... on... the... wall.'

I waited a few seconds before going through the wall like a specter. My hand wrapped itself around the arm of another. "Huh?" a boy exclaimed, shocked as I pulled him out of the wall. He looked like a younger version of how I looked, the fake me. Was he the boy whose appearance I had copied?

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," I responded. He looked at me uneasily. "I mean it. Anyway, let's get going. Your scream just now likely alerted the enemy."