Episode 109: General of Light

A sudden pressure rose up from my stomach to my chest

"Reb?" Emile said, turning to look at me.

"Hal," I mumbled.

"What's wrong with Hal?" Emile whispered.

"Not sure, but I have a bad feeling." Turning around, I dashed toward the end of the hallway, but was sent flying back by a blast of light.

Emile caught me in his arms and blasted the one who attacked me with whips of water.

I gritted my teeth and glared at the masked boy in white standing in my way. As a palace, this place was packed with anti-teleportation talismans, keeping outsiders out. Unless I got around him, I wouldn't be able to save Hal. But maybe he would be able to get around them. My son had a way of getting around anti-teleportation spells. But, that he hadn't done so when we were outside probably meant he couldn't get past the Hierarchians' magic.

Emile gasped and hugged me tight as the boy vanished. The blond appeared behind my husband.

I formed a metal rod and thrust it behind me. The boy jumped away but a barrier surrounded him.

He gasped and turned to look at Yanyu.

"Go," Emile mumbled.

I nodded and ran for it, but a wall of light formed at the end of the hall.

"I won't let you!" the boy said, holding his hand out.

I scoffed, turning my pipe into a sword. "Don't recall asking for your permission!" With a swing of my sword, I slashed through the wall of light, only to be flung back. I spun around in midair and looked over my shoulder. "Yanyu, kill the boy."

Yanyu gulped. "Alright."

The kid held out his hands, forming a barrier of his own. Yanyu's shrunk, pushing down against his. The pressure of the two spells grew denser by moment. As soon as one gave in, an explosion would rock this place.

"I'm going on ahead," Qing-Yuan said, running ahead.

"Wait!" Yanyu yelled, turning to look back at him.

The boy tipped his head forward as if chuckling. His barrier caused Yanyu's to expand like a balloon at its limits.

Yanyu clicked her tongue.

I slammed the ground, creating a metal cube around it. "Yanyu, accompany the king. Emile and I will take care of this joker!"

The masked woman laughed as she turned around. "Joker? You aren't fighting Kun. Though, his attire is reminiscent to ours. Yet, he doesn't appear to be one of us. Then he must've adopted the style from our predecessors..." she mumbled to herself. She shook her head and ran off.

The cube exploded, rocking the palace, but it failed to damage the building as much as I'd expected. A hand of light flew at Yanyu, but it was pushed away by watery tendrils.