Episode 30: Observation

*Sarah*

The sun had fallen below the horizon by the time we arrived at the ruins.

"How was the trip?" Yuzuki asked as she carried a sleeping Serein on her back.

"It went alright. We found some familiars, but sadly not for me," Lei said, grinning.

"Then who got them?" She glanced at her younger brother. Her mouth dropped as soon as she saw the zebra behind him. "Is that a zebra? Didn't imagine you would pick a familiar like that."

Hikaru laughed nervously. "I didn't either. It happened by chance."

Kun swung an arm around Hikaru and grinned. "I encouraged him, but I have a feeling he would've done it even without my nudging."

Hikaru smiled. "Yeah, he did."

"I see. But, it doesn't seem like you've made a contract with it."

"That's because he doesn't know how to," Nyima said. She pointed at Lei, who stood beside me. "Neither does this idiot! He planned on befriending a lion!"

"Hey, I got my reasons which I've mentioned," Lei said, pouting.

"What are those?" Yuzuki asked, furrowing her brow.

My brother grinned. "I wanted to create a strong bond with it. A contract not of magic, but instead of the heart."

"How sappy," Nahimana said.

Nyima nodded.

Adela chuckled. "I think it's a good idea, but a risky one."

Lei swung his hands behind his head and smiled at Adela. "Wish I could speak to animals like you. Would make things easier."

"I can talk to the lion as I did with Zeb earlier once we find it," she said.

"I appreciate it!"

Elliot chuckled. "Consider my sis as your animal ambassador and translator."

I turned away. Wonder what kind of familiar I should get... If only we were exploring the coast instead of inland. Don't see myself having a land animal as a familiar. Well, at least not a plain one.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Nyima asked as she glanced down at me.

I moved my hand up and down, reflecting waves.

She smiled and nodded. "Yeah. We should go find our familiars at the beach."

"You aren't going to come with us lion searching then?" Lei asked.

Nyima put a hand on her hips. "Nope. I don't want to see you make a fool of yourself. Again."

He stomped his foot on the ground. "When have I made a fool of myself?"

"Don't listen to her," Yuzuki said, smiling at him. "You aren't a fool."

Lei blushed. "Thanks, Yuzu."

Adela cleared her throat. "I think we should return to the city and get some rest. We have another big day tomorrow."

Elliot snickered. "Someone is jea-" He grumbled as a vine wrapped itself around his mouth.

"Don't be silly, Elliot. No one here has jet lag. We came on a boat."

What kind of save is that?

Elliot tore the vine off his mouth. "Jet lag? I didn't say that."

Adela grabbed her brother's hand and pulled him away. "Seems you still need some rest after the long trip. I should've left you here with Xun."