Episode 48: Egg

I glanced at Iah, who had fallen asleep soon after we had boarded the bubble

I glanced at Iah, who had fallen asleep soon after we had boarded the bubble. He must've been more tired than I thought. Maybe it was a good thing that he decided to separate from the rest of us. Wait, if I hadn't come, then it would've been terrible. He could've collapsed while training.

I gasped as I noticed he was holding on to something. It was an egg...

Isn't that the egg that Eri found? The guy in charge of the ruins said that he could keep it. Does he plan to raise it as a pet or as a familiar?

I held a hand out and touched the egg. Its shell was rough like sandpaper. The ruins where it was found were thousands of years old. Was the poor thing inside the egg even alive? For all we knew, it could've fossilized.

Light radiated out of my hand, warming up the egg a bit. I could feel a slight pulse radiating from within the egg.

I smiled and sat up straight. Good, it's still alive.

I glanced up at Iah's sleeping face. He needed to get some help with his issue. Breaking out of his impasse would help, but perhaps he needed to see a psychiatrist too. If only my mom were here. She probably could've helped him more than I was.

I gasped and took out my phone from my blue fanny pack. I wonder if she's busy right now.

I speed-dialed my mom but got sent to voice mail right away.

I sighed. Did she forget to charge it again? Why is that woman so unreliable? I should at least leave a voicemail.

I took a deep breath as I gathered my thoughts. I wanted to word it correctly.

"Mom, give me a call as soon as you can. I want to ask you something. It's to help a friend. Alright, bye," I said, hanging up after saying 'bye'.

I sighed and glanced up at the blue sky. It had become so quiet that I almost missed Lei's noisiness and Iah's flirting. I snickered. I must've gotten used to the noise if I was starting to miss it.

In a few days, we'll be arriving at the capital. Once we're there, Iah and Lei will have their match. I wonder who I should cheer for. Iah sort of needs the win more, but at the same time, it would be great for Lei to overcome one of his rivals for once.

I wondered what I would've happened if Iah and I had finished our match and I'd won. Would his self-esteem have been more crushed than it already was? If so, then perhaps the next time we battled...

I shook my head. What was I thinking? It would've been unfair to Iah to throw a match to make him feel better. Plus, he wasn't an idiot. If I tried that, he probably would've been able to see through it.

I clenched the phone in my hands. Hopefully, Iah plateauing wasn't more serious. I had heard of cases of talented mages peaking early. Considering how Iah had reacted thus far, he probably would enter a deep state of depression if that were the case for him.