Episode 76: Reflections of a King (War Arc)

*Huang*

I opened the golden doors leading to my throne room. The Dragon Throne was the only thing illuminated in the entire room, with the lamps being it being the only ones lit.

With each step I took, Adela and Nyima's words echoed in my head. As did the tears of my youngest son. 

Iah had left last night and Lei had yet to awaken too.

I sat down at the throne and held out my hand, closing the doors with twin stones. Time seemed to pass slowly as I waited for the first rays of dawn to pour through the small crystal windows. On the outside, they appeared as gold as the palace itself, preventing those seeking to peer inside from doing so.

After who knew how long, two man dressed from head to tow in thick robes appeared in front of me.

"Your majesty, our fellow agents have looked throughout the country. We've been unable to track the prince thus far. It's possible that he's already left the country," the two veiled men said as they kneeled before me.

To think he would be able to do so in a mere day without anyone noticing. Had he teleported? No, to my knowledge, Iah had no teleportation spells. Plus, him going warping that far would've given off a magical reading our devices could pick up. Unless, he didn't use magic but the powers of an abysmal.

Having fought those beings in the previous dimensional war, I knew they possessed the ability to create portals.

I took a deep breath. Iah, what is that guy doing? Now isn't the time to do this. It's safer to remain in the palace than to wonder off. If the seal that Adela and the others placed on him were to crack significantly, there would be no one around to restore it.

Better yet, why had Iah felt the need to rely on the power of destruction? As a child, he hadn't given up on restoring his powers. Sure, he was older now, but he was still fifteen years old. As a demi-god those fifteen years were an insignificant amount of time.

"I understand. Send some Yǐnshēn to the neighboring countries. Don't stop searching until you've found him. Once you have, inform him. I wish to personally speak with him," I said, waving my hand.

"Yes, Emperor Huang!" they said before dissolving into flame and water.

I leaned back against my throne and sighed.  Iah, why can't you rely on us? Do you really think you can do this on your own?

Suddenly, two more Yǐnshēn appeared, this manifesting from metal chunks and wood.

"Sire, the preparations to invade Hiearchian-occupied Shui are done. We merely await your command and we'll move."

I smiled. "Finally, some good news. Tell the troops to attack at sunset."

They raised their veiled heads up to me. "Sunset?" they asked in unison.

Crossing my hands, I nodded. "Yes. The enemy will probably expect an attack during the night. Attack with the vermillion units. That said, do you know the whereabouts of my nephew's friend? The spy we hired."

"Yes, he managed to get in contact with us via a pigeon. He ran into some difficulties." The wood held his hand out. "This is the message he told us to give you."

I reached forward and took the tightly wrapped scroll from him.

"Hopefully this reaches you, Your Majesty. I've been forced into hiding after being discovered. It's embarrassing to say, but a kid half my age forced me to flee. That said, the palace remains largely unguarded. It's as if the Hiearchians want us to lure would be assassins inside. The entire has to be heavily guarded. I'll try to send you another letter with any developments as soon as I have the chance," I read the letter aloud.