Episode 36: The Wary One

I burst into a coughing fit as soon as I awakened

I burst into a coughing fit as soon as I awakened. The horror of being consumed by the darkness left a pounding sensation in my chest. No, that wasn't my actual fear. Seeing Nia go while I was powerless to do anything was my real fear.

"Are you okay? Is your throat hurting again?" Kun asked, his eyes filled with worry.

I stared at my right hand. It was reaching out as if asking for help.

I touched my forehead. Cold sweat drenched it.

Nia... Did she really contact me in my dream? She said not to return to Sefa, then is she there?

Kun held out his hand and looked at me with pleading eyes.

"I can have Orcy project your thoughts too," Nyima said as she held up her familiar.

I shook my head. Right now, I didn't want anyone hearing my thoughts. They were too jumbled up after that brief nap.

I put my right index finger on Kun's palm and wrote. 'I'm fine, it was only a nightmare.'

Kun furrowed his brow. "What kind?"

'One of home.'

He pulled his hand back and crossed his arms. "I see. That makes sense, considering its situation. Plus, homesickness is normal. I used to dream about reuniting with my family back when I was in hiding."

Hikaru leered at him. "Hiding from what?"

Kun laughed. "Well, not sure how to word it. Guess I just wanted to lay low to avoid worrying you."

"Thinking you died worried us as it was," Yen said with lowered eyes.

"Yeah," Lei said.

"Well, I..." Kun sighed and pulled his siblings toward him. "Group hug!"

"Hey, stop that, idiot Kun!"

"Yeah, Nuk!" Lei yelled with a snicker.

"I'm Kun, I don't have my mask on."

I gasped as I realized I was still wearing Kun's mask. How could Nia have contacted me? This mask was supposed to block telepathy, wasn't it? Then again, communicating by dreams is a roundabout way of it, so maybe that was a loophole.

Perhaps, I should ask him... No, it could be that I'm overthinking things again. It was likely just a dream.

I removed the mask and put it back on Kun.

"See, now you're Nuk!" Lei said, chuckling.

Kun laughed. "Yeah. I'm the dashing figure in white!"

"Dashing?" Nyima asked, raising an eyebrow.

Kun nodded. "Yeah!"

Lei nodded too. "Yeah!"

Yen followed. "Yeah!"