Episode 4: Breaking the Engagement

*Adela*

"Feels like forever since all three of us were last here," Elliot said as he looked at the snow-covered village below.

"We came here a few months ago for the Mahoulympics," our older brother said, snickering.

I giggled. "Yeah. I guess a few months is a long time for Eli-Xiong."

"That was only for a short time." He tilted his head. "Hmm, when was the last time that we came here together before that?" He gasped. "Wait. Now I remember! It was when you had your big battle with Iah!"

I nodded as the cold wind caressed my face. "Indeed..." I closed my eyes at just the mere mention of it. The events leading up to it weren't exactly my proudest moments. Not just because I had lost, but because of what my words did to Iah...

***

[Years Ago- Capital of Mina]

"Lady Adela, welcome," several guards situated in front of the northern palace said. They bowed their heads and waited until I passed.

"Can I inquire about something?" I asked, stopping midway.

"Absolutely," they said in unison while maintaining their heads down.

"Are the rumors about my fiancée true?"

Several of them gasped.

"That depends, what have you heard, Your Holiness?" several of them said.

"His powers have yet to return. Is that indeed the case?"

"Sadly, that is indeed true. His future highness has yet to recover his powers," they all said at once.

I raised the tail of my crimson robes and ascended the black stairs. "In that case, you shouldn't refer to him as 'future highness'."

The guards remained still, some of them even had petrified looks on their faces. Why, though? Were they horrified that they had spoken the truth? Had they broken an oath? Or was it the realization that Iah was not likely to be their king?

"One other thing," I said, halting once more. "Who is Iah to you?"

"He's the son of her Highess, Lady Adela," one said.

"I know that much, but is that all? Is that reason enough to serve him?"

"We pledged our alligance to the royal family, Lady Adela."

"Would you support anyone so long as they bare the blood of the royal family? If so, does that include even incompetent rulers?"

"Lady Adela, with all due respect, Sir Iah isn't..." one of them began until I stopped them by raising my hand.

"I'm not talking about him. I am asking in general."

"We would do our best to advise, to guide the future ruler in the path of truth and righteousness," they responded.

I smiled. "Not a bad answer. Still, there are those who don't listen even to reason. Thanks for your honest responses, servants of Mina. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to meet with Prince Iah."

I rose into the air and swung the doors open by merely swinging my hands in front of me.

The guards spun around and stared at me in awe. I paid them no mind, flying further into the black stone palace.