Eight.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Solange asked in a hushed tone

"Why didn't you tell me?" Solange asked in a hushed tone. The question lingered in my mind as we sat with our legs crossed enjoying our own personal favorite Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

After leaving our parents' home I was tempted to pack my belongings and catch the very first flight out of Houston to Chicago, but other factors prevented me from doing so. Mainly because of Solange. We rarely spent time together, but despite the traveling distance we always had a great bond. I was very aware that she had a ton of questions and it was only right that I spent some time with her to get those questions answered.

I sighed when I realized that I lacked the ability to even form words. There were so many things I had rehearsed in my mind what I would say whenever she asked, but now I couldn't even think straight.

"Not that I didn't want to tell you," I said before coming to a long pause, "Angel being taken away from me was a very hard pill to swallow. Mom and dad had, in a way, made me stay quiet. Though I was hurt that they treated me that way, I couldn't really leave. I was 15 and still being financially taken care of by them so if they didn't want to speak on it, I didn't speak on it.

"We have always been close Solange and you were a baby at the time. I felt that you wouldn't understand or maybe when you did understand, you would look at me differently... But I hate I didn't tell you this sooner. This has been eating me up for years and maybe telling you would have helped me after all."

She never looked in my direction but I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was a little disappointed in me. "It hurts that you didn't, but I understand where you are coming from and I'm proud of you and your strength, sis. I know it couldn't have been easy going an entire nine months carrying a child just for him to be snatched away from you."

It was a few seconds of silence until Solange finally looked at me, "I'll never look at them the same." She mumbled.

"No, I don't want my issues with mom and dad to affect your relationship with them. Regardless, they're your parents and I know you are extremely close with them. Please keep that bond."

"But how?" She questioned. Her eyebrows furrowed together as her eyes watered, "Look at how they did you. You were always the good kid Bey! You never got in trouble, was always respectful, did everything they asked of you, unlike me. I was suspended from high school so many times, broke all of their rules, and then I get to college and play around – not even taking this shit serious, and you think mom and dad won't treat me the same? You never gave them a reason to treat you like that. They're horrible."

She quickly wiped away her tears and I instantly pulled her closer to me for a hug. I hate that she has come to the realization that our parents are indeed the devil in disguise, but it's important that she see their true colors. If I would have known back then what I knew now, I would've been cut all ties with my parents. But everything happens for a reason, right?