Eighteen.

Angel

I shut the world out for a few days just to get my mind right. Mostly by smoking my life away and hooping when I wasn't busy with school.

Of course I spent a bit of time with Beyoncé and Josh before they returned to Chicago. I felt safe with her, so even though I was in a bad mood, I didn't feel like that in her presence.

I couldn't let her in on how I truly felt about Charlotte though. My reasoning is that I don't know how to feel.

Charlotte has been the only mother I've known. To know that she's been keeping things away from me made me look at her completely different. How can you love me but lie to me? How can you take care of someone for 19 years just to receive money?

The more I thought about it, the angrier I got. I wanted to shut her out for good, but I still needed her. Whenever she called, I answered but I rarely made conversation. She noticed I was giving her the cold shoulder and planned for us to sit and talk. I wasn't near ready to hear her side, so I told her I'll let her know when I would be.

To be honest, it was all becoming too much on me. It reflected in my grades. Summer semester is the easiest, yet I was struggling with C's in all 3 of my classes. Sometimes I wish I could press rewind and not have met my biological parents at all. Maybe my life would be less hectic.

I was in a daze as I walked through the Student Union Building. It was packed out with people getting food and lounging around until their next class.

I internally groaned seeing a few ladies from a sorority passing out flyers to everyone. I accepted the flyer when they handed it to me, but it was instantly snatched out of my hand by someone else that I didn't see coming.

"Don't accept flyers from them, da fuck?" Chloe rolled her eyes and balled the paper into her fist before throwing it in the trash can.

She was a member of a different sorority so of course she didn't like that. I couldn't give two fucks about the greek shit, but they took it very seriously. I'll respect that.

"Damn," I mumbled while staring her down, "Why I can't have one of their flyers?"

"Because you're fucking with me so you can't fuck with them! I don't even know why I'm talking to you anyways."

She began to walk off, but I playfully pulled on one of her dreads to bring her back to me, "And then you walk away from me? Why aren't you talking to me?"

"Don't act brand new. I haven't heard from you in what? 3 days? You said you would call me after meeting with your mom and you never did."

"Because shit didn't go well and I didn't feel like talking."

"I don't care Angel. You said you would call me. Don't make empty promises."

I sighed and rubbed through my waves, "Word." She rolled her eyes at my simple response, "I'm sorry Chloe. That's what you want to hear?" I pulled her into a hug not caring who was watching us. When we pulled away, she interlocked her hand with mine and led me to the table with her and her sister, Halle.

 When we pulled away, she interlocked her hand with mine and led me to the table with her and her sister, Halle