Twenty One.

I took small sips of the Deleón Tequila while watching people interact around me

I took small sips of the Deleón Tequila while watching people interact around me. Whenever I needed a break from Miami, I always found myself coming home to Houston. The weather was nice and everyone seemed to be out and about to enjoy it.

"Why haven't you touched your food?" I heard the voice across from me say. I let my eyes focus on my mom and then down to the food before me consisting of ribeye steak, cajun scallops and shrimps, and lump crab.

I had been craving it for awhile so I was surprised that the food didn't have my attention. "I was just thinking," I said before placing the glass of Tequila down and finally digging in, "How you been mama?"

This was my first time visiting my mother in months. We talked over the phone every chance we can get, but sometimes that wasn't enough for me. Anytime I was in Houston, whether for business or personal satisfaction, I always made sure to make time for her.

"I've been great son. Thank you for the package you sent me earlier this week. The ladies at work can't stop talking about it."

Knowing my mom loved and appreciated her gift brought joy onto my face. During my usual retail therapy sessions, I always had to get my mother something. I stopped by Hermes and purchased the Clic H Bracelet along with a few handbags that I knew she would like and shipped them off so that she'll receive the nice gesture before she left for work Monday morning.

It was nothing to spoil the one woman that always believed in me and my dreams. She meant the most to me and I wasn't the one to hide the love I had for her.

"How the ladies at work know about your gift?"

"Because I tell them! Every chance I get, I let them know that my son takes great care of me. They want Hermes of their own now."

I chuckled and shook my head at her, "You're so silly ma, but I'm glad you're enjoying it all. You've done so much for me growing up and I want to make sure I show my appreciation. I do this all for you."

"Aw baby, and I really appreciate it. But how have you been? You've been back and forth between here and Chicago a lot lately, it seems."

"I'm good," I said with a shrug, "Just working and doing other things."

She gave me a well-knowing glare, "Other things? You still going to those clubs and parties every night?"

"Only for business but even then, I rarely be out on the scene. I lost interest in that months ago. My last visit to Chicago was business related, but I did stop by to see someone."

My mother lightly gasped, "I forgot you mentioned that Beyoncé lived in Chicago now. How is she doing? Is that who you went to see?"

I gave my mother a little insight into Beyoncé's life, but I didn't say too much. She noticed by my reluctance to speak that there was probably tension between us.