Twenty Eight.

"How's her heart rate?"

"How much oxygen is she on?"

"Does she have any brain activity?"

I cringed at the constant sound of alarms blaring near my ear and the different voices I couldn't make out.

My chest felt heavy, as if pounds of weight was sitting on top of me. I tried to move my arms but felt as if I was being restrained. Opening my eyes was an even harder task, but soon they slowly fluttered open and I studied my surroundings.

I couldn't make out my exact location due to my blurred vision, but I noticed women in scrubs and a male figure wearing a white lab jacket with small, fine words imprinted on one side of it.

Right away I knew where I was.

"She's awake! Clear the room!" I heard before I was blinded by the male figure shining a bright light into my eyes.

"Ms. Knowles, can you hear me?"

I slowly nodded my head.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Olaiya in Northwestern's Emergency Department. Can you tell me your name?"

I opened my mouth to speak but the sudden pain caused me to cringe and shake my head.

He looked at me with a sympathetic smile, "I'm sorry. I know you're in pain right now. Maybe nod your head yes or no?"

I nodded as he continued.

"Do you know why you're here?"

I shook my head.

"You were found unconscious in your home. It seems as if you blacked out due to an overdose of a medication called Metoprolol. Can you recall that?"

This time I frowned and opened my mouth to speak, "An overdose? How?"

"Ms. Knowles, are you suicidal?" He asked.

I was too stunned to speak. I looked around the room to see eyes on me. As I glanced around, I noticed a pair of familiar eyes. It seemed as if they could read my mind and instantly prevented more questions from being asked.

"She literally just woke up from a traumatic experience and you're questioning her at this time?! Can she please get a minute?!"

Dr. Olaiya apologized and exited the room, giving me the privacy I longed for.

"I'm so sorry!" Kelly pulled me into a tight hug and I immediately burst into tears.

"Kelly, what's going on? Why am I restrained? Why am I here?"

She wiped away my tears, "I'm going to be honest, I don't know what's going on. I wanted you to tell me. Metoprolol B?! Do you know what that does to you?!"

"Of course I do, but I haven't taken that in years! I can't remember anything besides —" I gave her a look, "Did you find me?"

"Do you not remember calling me? You didn't say anything on the line and Josh wasn't answering so I rushed over and that's when I found you knocked out on the kitchen floor. Please don't tell me you tried to
kill yourself?"

I shook my head, feeling myself becoming more frustrated. "I never called you. I never took any medication. I'm so confused!"

"Can you remember anything leading up to the moment of you blacking out?"

I stared into her eyes with tears in my own. Of course I remembered. My fiancé sent a blow to my face that put me down instantly, but I couldn't tell her that.

"I'm not suicidal, Kelly... but I don't know how this happened. Maybe I just had a moment."

She stared at me as if she didn't believe me, "Where was Josh? I've tried calling him with no response. I expected him to at least be present right about now."