• Undercover Love (pt.2)

Four months earlier: December 1982

"Well this is....cozy."

Joker's breath stirred your hair as he spoke, and regardless of how unpredictable the clown could be, you knew instinctively that he was on the brink of laughter.

"Sssshh!" You hushed harshly, and without thought brought your hand up to cover his mouth.

Within the gloominess of the glorified closet, you could hardly see a damn thing. There was barely enough room for the two of you to hide, but you'd somehow managed to squash yourselves in together. So now you were standing toe-to-toe, with your chest pushed up against his.

Beneath your fingers you felt his lips twitch into a smile. In the fear of the moment you hadn't considered just how intimate the scenario was. Your priority had been to escape to safety from your pursuers, but now you were painfully aware of your proximity to the clown prince.

As your eyes gradually adjusted to the darkness, you could make out the twinkling of his eyes. They gazed down at you; effervescent with mischief and suppressed mirth.
Outside, voices shouted frantically; steadily moving further away from your location.

After what felt like the longest few minutes of your life, you gradually felt the tension in your shoulders begin to ebb away. Your locked muscles relaxed as relief washed over you, making you let out an audible sigh.

"I think the coast is clear." You whispered; ears still straining to hear.

His painted eyebrow quirked in amusement, "Aw, that's too bad. I was just starting to enjoy myself."

It was hard ignoring such a suggestive remark. Your furious heartbeat had only just begun to calm down, and now it sped-up all over again.

Ignore it. That's all you had to do. Ignore it.

With cautious, slow movement you opened the door and quickly scanned the area. The corridor was deserted, and silent. Now was your chance to make a run for the exit.

But as you made to step out, a red-sleeved arm hooked around your waist and pulled you back inside. His sudden movement made you gasp slightly, as you found your back pulled against his chest.

"What the--what are you doing, Fleck?"

"I'm just making the most of this, uh--happy accident." He grinned crookedly, "What's the rush after all?"

"Are you kidding me? Those gunmen will be back any minute. We have to go now!"

"Hmf. Party-pooper."

Relinquishing his hold on your waist, this time you dragged him out with you; your hand having fisted into the soft material of his dress shirt.

"You're going to get me all creased." He grumbled, albeit playfully, "I've killed men for less you know."

"I don't doubt it."

You quickened your pace and Joker fell into step beside you, the pair of you brandishing your handguns.

"You get away with murder." He said, as he continued to glance behind the way you had came.

It wasn't the first time he'd said this, so you paid it very little mind. It was all part of the routine. The banter you exchanged whenever the two of you were alone.

Smiling to yourself, you answered the same way you always did, "Ditto, clown."

The two of you then broke into a run, knowing it was only a matter of time before your lives would be in danger once again.