• Love Hurts (pt.3)

--1st person POV--

Unfortunately, my mood doesn't improve over the course of the evening.

A few people have left, heading for a club downtown, failing in their attempts to persuade Sophie to join them.
I wish they had. Then we could go home. There's no way Arthur would go to a nightclub, he's barely coped with the volume of people here in the apartment.

He had an anxiety attack, which set off his compulsive laughter, brought on by strangers attempting to make conversation with him.
Arthur's so socially awkward, he struggles when he feels pressured or confronted.
Fortunately everyone is pretty drunk, so his laughter didn't seem so completely out of place. Subtlety I'd placed a hand on his back and rubbed it reassuringly. Leaning in to whisper words of reassurance. It had gradually subsided, and to his relief nobody was staring at him, which made him feel better.

There's more room in the apartment now that they've left, and we're able to sit down together on the couch. Arthur isn't really one for public displays of affection, so he takes me by surprise when he casually slips an arm around me, so that I'm nestled against the sturdy embrace of his lean body.

However, call me paranoid but I can't shake the feeling that he's watching Sophie as she buzzes around the room like a queen bee, all the men drawn to her like they are her subservient drones.

I stare daggers at the oblivious, and innocent woman in her low slung, embroidered combat trousers, which are undeniably feminine and accentuate her enviably flat stomach. A slinky little vest top shows off her pert chest and toned upper arms.

Without intending to, I find myself wondering if Arthur would be willing to sleep with her. He obviously wants her, so he must find her physically attractive.
I feel bile rise in my throat and quickly push those destructive thoughts aside.
I can't keep torturing myself like this.
Arthur just isn't ready to engage sexually yet. It doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't want me, or find me attractive.

Just then a familiar figure comes lumbering over towards us.

"Hey (y/n), how about a dance?"

My eyes widen as I stare at Zack, who's noticeably unsteady on his feet.

"Oh, no I don't think so--"

"Aw come on, have some fun! You sure look like you could use some." He persists, offering me his hand. "You need cheering up, right? You've had a shitty day."

"Do I?" I giggle nervously, my eyes darting back to Arthur who's looking understandably confused.

"You've had a bad day?" He asks, voice filled with concern. "And you talked to him about it, not me?"

"I-I haven't. Really I'm just..." My cheeks burn with embarrassment as I falter, not knowing what to say. "Do you want to dance, Artie?" I smile anxiously, hoping to steer the conversation away from an awkward and potentially hazardous direction. "You said you wanted to try new things."

Arthur loves dancing more than most people, but dancing in this sort of environment is completely foreign to him, and I doubt he'll be enticed.
Unless it was Sophie asking. Then maybe he'd be willing to make an exception.

To my dismay he shakes his head, then smiles tightly. It isn't convincing, and doesn't match up with what he's saying.

"No, but....you should dance if you want to, (y/n). I don't mind."