• Lessons In Love

What If/Oneshot: You're attending college at the insistence of your rich parents, but you've grown bored of your studies, and have become rebellious. Professor Fleck is exasperated by your increasingly disruptive behaviour in class, so sets out to teach you a lesson...or two.

** A/N This is 9538 words long, and the first oneshot I've written that hasn't been set in the 80's (canon to the movie) hence the inclusion of modern tech.
But Arthur is still Arthur. He's learned to control his condition to some extent, and he's embraced his inner Joker persona; he just keeps it well hidden....for the most part ;)

--Please note that even though student x teacher ships are technically forbidden, ( y/n) is still a consenting adult--

⚠️ Forbidden love, angst, fluff & extremely moderate NSFW!

--1st person POV--

I chew at a fast pace, not at all nervous, but rather trying to be deliberately obnoxious. I'm sitting slouched at my desk; burning holes through his head with my retinas, anticipating his next move as he flips through the paperwork on....I don't know, some philosophy crap.

Like I give a shit what it is.

I look at the clock on the wall and let out a breath of annoyance. I could be chugging a beer right about now, hanging out with my friends in the late afternoon sunshine, not sitting here waiting for professor Fleck to give me a lecture on bad behaviour.

Okay, admittedly I do not pay attention in class, but that's because I don't want to be here.

Once there was a time when I did give a shit, when I decided to major in philosophy because I wanted to be a critic; specialising in movies because they've always been able to provoke a strong response from me, and negative criticism is my forte.

But...well, let's just say I quickly became disenchanted with my studies last year. I started to feel like I was wasting my life stuck in school, and after a lot of soul searching I came to the conclusion that I was only still attending Gotham State University to please my parents.

If I had it my way I would've dropped out long ago, and the way I've been feeling lately; I think I still might. The only thing keeping me here really in all honesty, is the thrill I get from raising hell in class. Without sounding too arrogant, I'm really quite popular, so others follow my example, much to the teachers dismay.

Take professor Fleck for example; he's a mild-mannered pushover, a dorky guy who's pushing middle age, and it's oh so easy to poke fun at him and get away with it.
And I can get away with it mostly under the pretence of 'debating', seeing as this is philosophy class.

Professor Arthur Fleck is still pretty new, he only took the job at this collage after spring break, but I'll bet he's already regretting it. You can tell by the way he drags his hand over his face; a sure sign of exasperation if ever I saw one. I reckon if this class carries on the way it does he'll suffer a mental breakdown before thanksgiving weekend, and be forced to take time off.

If that seems malicious then I guess that's just the person I am now.
He's a philosophy professor for gods sake, he should have more of a backbone.
A part of me almost feels sorry for the guy, because I was once like him, well, kind of.
I was too polite and accommodating, and what happened?

People walked all over me.

Then I took a stand. I guess something snapped inside of me, and I realised enough was enough. This is who I am now, I don't tolerate any bullshit from anyone, and I'm living a better life for it. I'm popular in school, the bullies have left me alone, and my parents are getting what they deserve for trying to dictate what I can and cannot do, even though I'm (y/a) years old now.