• An Inappropriate Crush (Pt.1)

: IMAGINE: You've known Arthur for a while 'cause your mom used to be Penny's carer, but you've distanced yourself as you've developed feelings for him

-- 1st person POV --

"Mom? Mom what happened? What's wrong?"

I hear his voice in the crowd more than any other. Not because he's loud, simply because it is his.

I feel my stomach wrench, and my pulse quickens as I follow the distinctive sound.

He's right there. And my breathing stops.

Arthur Fleck.

"Stand back please." One of the paramedics insists, pulling my focus back.

"He's her son." I yell, at just about the same time Arthur tells them Penny is his mom.

He's noticed me now and his worried expression darkens, as he looks at me almost distrustfully.

"(y/n)! What....what are you doing here?"

He doesn't sound pleased to see me. Quite the opposite in fact, his tone is accusatory and his eyes cold. Making me feel about as welcome as a double glazing salesman.

"Who are you?" The harassed medic turns to me, all patience lost. "Are you a member of the immediate family?"

"I'm his wife." I blurt, gesturing towards poor Arthur, who looks stunned by my proclamation. "Penny's my mother-in-law."

The paramedic nods curtly and ushers me aboard the ambulance, where I clamber up the steps after 'my husband'

God how embarrassing. Why didn't I just say I was his sister? That would've been less humiliating. But it would've been creepy. It sounds silly I know, but given the way I feel about him. Well...

"Is she on any medication?.....Does she have any medical conditions?..." The medic bombards Arthur with numerous questions and he does his best to answer, but I can see he's struggling.

After a while the questions stop coming, and a tense silence descends over us. The only sound is the noise of the sirens wailing, cutting a path through the late-evening traffic of central Gotham.

Arthur sits with his head in his hands, perceptibly shaking as if in shock, the fraught situation starting to take its toll and I have to practically sit on my hands to stop myself from reaching out to comfort him. Too afraid the gesture will be unwelcome.

Eventually we arrive at Arkham State Hospital and everything seemed to happen so quickly.

Passing by the line of ambulances parked outside the Emergency Room entrance, we make our way through the wide, automatic sliding doors, following the paramedics as they wheel Penny's listless, frail body inside on the trolley.

Inside, the waiting area is already full. Nearby a man sits pressing what looks like a cold compress to his head, another is pinching a bloody dressing to his nose. Another medic wheels a woman by wearing neck brace and amidst the sound of phones ringing and doctors rushing back and forth, a child can be heard wailing.

Arthur and I are shown to a waiting area, while they rush his mom off into a side room.

He paces back and forth anxiously, his posture bent like a sad, vulnerable child and my arms ache with the need to hold him.

"What happened?" He asks, his tone clipped.

"I don't know. When I arrived there was two policemen at the apartment. I think they were looking for you--"