• His Name Was Carnival (Pt.3)

--1st person POV--

A few days after visiting Arthur you're surprised to receive a letter from him,

Dear (y/n)

As I write this I'm still in shock from you coming to see me yesterday and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. How much you've changed and grown up, but one thing is still the same. You still have a big heart.
I hope you will come again and visit me soon. Honestly, I loved seeing you again.

Best wishes always,

Arthur.

You found yourself smiling moronically as you read, and re-read the letter several times.

Knowing that he'd been glad to see you made you so happy, and whether you liked it or not Arthur still meant a lot to you.
That was when you realised you just had to accept that there would always be a special place in your heart for him.

Your mind was instantly made up after the letter.
You wrote him back, even though you'd decided to visit him again that Friday, which meant he received the letter on the day of your visit....

"I just got your letter this morning." He beamed, as he took his seat facing you. "It made me smile. Thank you."

You smiled back at him goofily, feeling elated to have made him smile. "I'm glad, but you don't have to thank me."

His smile wavered a little, and his eyes lowered to the table. "I do."

"Why?"

"Because....well because it means a lot to me. I haven't had anything to smile about in a long time. Now I do."

Touched, you reached across and held his hand. You could see how deeply it affected him. The letter. The visits. Your touch.
The latter became glaringly obvious when he unexpectedly lifted your hand to his mouth and gently kissed the back of it, holding it against his lips as his eyes drifted shut.

You felt heat rushing through your body, blushing from the roots of your hair all the way down to your toes.
No one else had ever had this affect on you.
Only 'Carnival'.

Seemingly lost in his own little world, Arthur finally awoke from his trance and opened his eyes. He saw your amazed expression and hastily let your hand go, mumbling his apologies,

"I...I'm sorry (y/n), I shouldn't have done that--."

"No it's...it's fine, really." You assured him, cheeks still flaming.

He met your eyes and held your gaze steadily. "I'm just so glad you're here."

If your mind wasn't made up before, it certainly was then in that moment.
You vowed to always be there for him.

And you was.

Every week you visited him without fail, and letters were sent back and forth in between.

As time went by you kind of noticed the subtle shift in the way Arthur worded his letters, but tried not to dwell on it too much. The 'best wishes' became 'love' and in time, 'lots of love' then even 'all my love'.

He's just being friendly, you thought.
During your visits he often referred to you as his best friend, so it didn't necessarily mean anything more than that. Him loving you as a friend was only to be expected after all. You were all he had in the world.