• Once Upon A Time In Gotham (Pt.4)

--1st person POV--

"Artie you sly dog!"

"Are you dating this actress, Arthur? For real?"

"How the hell did you manage to score with a chick like that?"

"She probably just fancied a change from all those Hollywood types, right Arthur?"

"Where d'you meet her?"

His coworkers questions were still reverberating around Arthur's head, and had been all day.

That morning as he'd set off for work he had initially thought he'd been hallucinating when he'd passed by the local news vendor and noticed his own face plastered across the front page.

Naturally he'd purchased one to read on the train, despite still doubting his own mind.
But the man who'd sold him the paper recognised him. And then his work colleagues had bombarded him with questions and unwelcome comments the minute he'd walked into work.

They'd all seen the article. So it had to be real. It wasn't just an elaborate trick conjured by his own overactive imagination.

For the rest of the day it had been on his mind, for numerous reasons.
He wasn't overly embarrassed because of the publicity. On the contrary it had felt kind of good having the guys at work clap him on the back, congratulating him on having seduced such a desirable, famous, young woman.

But as much as he'd felt good, gaining their respect and admiration, the victory felt hollow because it was false.

The newspaper had gotten it all wrong, speculating about him and you, and deep down he felt guilty for not being honest with the guys at work and setting them straight.

Arthur wished it were true. He wished it could be, but it was impossible.
Why would you want a guy like him? He had nothing to offer.

During his twenty minute lunch break he'd sat chain-smoking, replaying the many interactions and conversations he'd had with you over the past few weeks.
The fact that your friendship has blossomed was obvious. You'd grown more familiar with each other.

One particular example of that occurred the day after you'd been to the park.

You'd arrived at his apartment, panicking due to yet more scrip changes.
As you'd sat drinking tea, trying to memorise the new dialogue for the scene you'd be filming the next day, Arthur had offered to help.
He didn't know how he could be of much use, but he couldn't bear to see you worrying.

Grateful for his offer, you asked him to read out Trent's new lines, to help you rehearse.
Reluctantly he did. Feeling shy and awkward to begin with...

"I'm no good at acting."

You smiled at him. "You don't have to act it out, Art. Just read the lines for me."

"Yeah but...I'll feel kinda silly."

"Well that makes two of us then. I always feel silly rehearsing a scene, don't worry."

Still feeling a little foolish, he'd sat in the armchair clutching the sheet of paper. "Um, okay." He cleared his throat. "Sarah I l-love you." His cheeks blazed, but he persisted, trying to ignore how flustered he felt. "I'm sorry for everything I've done. You've stood by me all my life and I never saw it. Never realised until now that I need you."

"Oh, Jack. Do you really mean it? You've made me so happy and--"

"Wait, you mean she actually falls for this crap?" Arthur interrupted incredulously, frowning.