• His Name Was Carnival (Pt.1)

: IMAGINE : This is an Arthur Fleck/Child! Reader 3part one-shot requested by -that199Xgrrrl- (thank you for the fabulous suggestion!)
Your 8yr old self has a childhood crush on Arthur, unaware that he's about to become Joker and wind up in Arkham State Hospital

Lots of innocent fluff with a little bit of angst

-- 1st person POV --

You still remember the very first time you saw him.
Even now the memory is so vivid that when you close your eyes you can still picture his face.

That painted-on smile, scruffy hobo-clown costume, the bright green wig and those big silly shoes.

His name was Carnival....

It was a Wednesday afternoon and your mom picked you up from school early.
Usually you would find missing an afternoon of school awesome but you didn't today.
Today you was sick, so sick that the school had to call your mom to come get you and now she was taking you to see the doctor.

And you really, really didn't want to go.

As you walk through Gotham Square holding onto your mom's hand, you drag your feet and wail that you don't want to go.
All you want is to be at home, cuddled up with your teddy on the couch, watching cartoons with a snugly blanket wrapped around you.

"Really (y/n) is there any need to make such a fuss? You have to see a doctor you're sick."

"I just want to go home." You sniffle, the tears in your eyes blurring your vision.

"We'll go home afterwards, now don't be such a silly girl."

As you continue the sound of music catches your attention and your mom has to slow her pace due to a crowd that's gathered near Gotham Plaza, blocking the way.

Your mom huffs and starts trying to push her way through, you realise the music is coming from a man sitting playing a jolly tune on an old upright piano.
But it isn't him that's attracted the attention of the passers-by.

It's a clown.

Now at the front of the gathering your mom is forced to stop, realising it would be rude to cut-straight across the area where the clown is performing. And your mom is all about manners.

She's about to make her way around the inside perimeter of the crowd, when the clown spots you and gives you a little wave.

You refuse to budge and tug on your moms hand to try and halt her.
She stops and sees you wave back at the clown shyly.

Noticing your sad expression, he tilts his head to one side then begins taking huge, long, exaggerated strides towards you like a cartoon character which makes you want to giggle.

When he reaches you he crouches down on his haunches so that he's level with you.

"Hey..." He says in a soft, low voice. "....why so sad little one?"

"She's sick. I'm taking her to see the doctor." Your mom chimes in.

That makes you kind of mad. She didn't give you chance to answer, and he was talking to you not her!