• Arthur In Wonderland (pt.4)

--3rd person POV--

Arthur was awoken from a dreamless sleep, suddenly aware of the sound of a door being pulled open, and the noise of telephones ringing and various voices that filtered into the room from the corridor outside.

"Is he awake yet?" A gruff, male voice demanded, followed by a gentle yet assertive female voice;

"No, Mister Fleck hasn't woken up as yet. I'm afraid these things take time, detective."

The detective, grunts impatiently. "Yeah well you be sure to inform us the minute that freak opens his eyes."

"I'm afraid Mister Fleck will require rest. Given his injury, he's bound to feel confused and--"

"Just let us know." He cuts her off sharply, then silence.

Hesitantly, Arthur turned his head, following the sound. He cracked his eyes open, then all at once...she was there.

Like a vision straight out of heaven. An angel cast down to earth.
His lady Joker. The Clown Princess of Crime.
(y/n).

Except, she wasn't wearing the red suit, but a nurses uniform.
Her hair was no longer green, it was (h/c).
And she wasn't wearing the garish makeup. Yet he still recognised her.
How could he not? He'd studied her so closely, peered beyond the grease paint, and her beautiful face was burned into his memory.
There was no mistaking her.

The next thing he knew, she was above him. Leaning down, her face hovering above his, her expression one of surprised concern.

He caught the distinct scent of her perfume. So sweet, so feminine, so familiar, which was more noticeable in the environment due to all the disinfectant.
She moved away momentarily, the smell of her still clinging to the air around him, and he inhaled deeply.

How was it possible? His lady Joker...was a nurse.

Sudden flashbacks filled his minds eye, snippets of their conversation returning to him..

"This whole mommy thing...how does it work?"

"Well it's a care-giving kinda thing. You let me take good care of you, and I make you feel special, loved, appreciated, and safe. Doesn't that sound nice, hm?"

The cogs in his head turned, their gears grinding so hard he half expected to smell burning, or have smoke coming from his ears, as he attempted to make some sense out of it all.

And the only sensible conclusion he was able to arrive at, was somehow, deep in his subconscious, he must have known she was a nurse. A 'care-giver'.
She must've been taking care of him since he arrived, and his fevered imagination had done the rest.

His secret yearning. His need to feel special, safe, loved and appreciated, had concocted the dream. A manifestation of everything he'd been through, and everything he wanted. Perhaps he'd woken up and seen her, but couldn't remember.

Arthur opened his mouth in an attempt to speak, to gain her attention, but nothing came out but a dry rasp. And then just as he was about to try again, she returned.
This time she actually touched him. Reached down and took hold of his wrist, checking his pulse, which was no doubt erratic as a result of his excitement and confusion.

"Mister Fleck? Are you with us?" She asked, her small brow furrowing slightly.

"It's y-y-you." He croaked, very inarticulately, hardly recognising the raspy sound of his own voice.