• Love Hurts (pt.1)

Imagine: Being the sweet lil' softie you are, you adore Arthur with all your heart and soul. But you also have a tendency to be jealous, and maybe with good reason. This request was made by heysoftie. Hope you enjoy!

Fluff, angst, and will contain some sweet smuttiness in part 3 ⚠️

--1st person POV--

It's 6:58pm, and I'm standing shivering in the cold, drizzly November night, outside the entrance to my apartment building, when I'd actually prefer to be tucked up cozy and warm in the double bed that's waiting for me three floors up.

But I'm waiting. I don't want to be in bed so I can sleep, and I don't want to be in bed alone. Nope. I want to be with my sweet little Artie.
My boyfriend, the love of my life.
We've been an item for almost a year now, and we've been cohabiting for four months. Honestly, I can say I've never been happier in a relationship before.

There's something about Arthur that drives me crazy. Crazy in a good way that is.
From the first moment our eyes met I just knew instinctively that he was the one for me. He was performing in Gotham Square, spinning a sign outside a store. His colourful costume and makeup immediately captured my attention, but it was the vibrancy of his very aura that enchanted me.The way he danced jovially, displaying an uninhibited happiness. I could sense the delight he felt from making people smile. The way his beautiful eyes sparkled with joy had me mesmerised.

It hadn't exactly been love at first sight, but it certainly didn't take long for me to fall head over heels in love with the man of my dreams.

Shy, nervous, and awkward, Arthur maybe isn't everyone's cup of tea. But he is most definitely mine.

In a city that is cruel, bleak and uncaring, Arthur is like a tiny ray of sunlight, battling the darkness on a daily basis, in the hopes of just trying to make people laugh.
Not everyone appreciates his efforts of course. After all, this is Gotham. A corrupt, crime-riddled place, where the majority of the population live in abject poverty, struggling to make ends meet.

Arthur is one of those poor people, but what he lacks in wealth he more than makes up for with spirit.

He works as a party clown for minimum wage, and he's subjected to verbal and physical abuse on a regular basis as a result.
His boss is an asshole. Traveling to and from work is like running a gauntlet. And yet, Arthur loves his job in spite of it all. Because nothing fills him with more joy than making people laugh, or bringing a smile to their face.

To Arthur that is his life's purpose. To spread joy and laughter.

For weeks we were friends, just friends, that was until I couldn't take it any more and ended up asking him out on a date. Well, if I'd have waited for him to ask then I'd probably still be waiting now.
For some reason my romantic interest had taken him by surprise, but he'd nervously agreed.
One date followed another, and as our relationship progressed, by mutual agreement, we moved in together. It makes good financial sense sharing an apartment. He enjoys my company, and it's wonderful being able to snuggle up close to him each night. To wake up next to him each morning.

Life has never been better.

Well, that isn't entirely true. It could be a little better if two things were different, maybe three.