• Dancing In The Dark (pt.2)

--1st person POV--

"Arthur Fleck! You're ruthless!"

"Sorry (y/n). I'm just following the rules."

In the dim light of the dying candle, he's looking at me all apologetically. His expression sincere. But I can tell he wants to laugh. He's biting back a smile and his green eyes glitter with amusement.

"You don't have to apologise." I giggle, counting out the fake dollar bills. "I just never knew you were so competitive."

"Hey, I'm not competitive." He insists, as he takes the paper money from me. "It's not my fault you landed where you did."

I give a little huff. "I know. But Park Place and Boardwalk are like the most expensive places to own, and you have properties on over half the board!"

He shrugs, smiling innocently, flashing his dimple all over the place. "Well you would insist on buying the cheapest places. You don't get much rent for them."

"Yeah tell me about it. It's like this place. If this building was one of the properties in the game, the rent would be worthless too."

Arthur chuckles and nods in agreement, as he reaches for the dice.

We've been playing monopoly for at least an hour now. I didn't even realise I still had it, nor do I know why I would've packed it when I moved, but it's come in handy tonight. The board game has helped pass the time seeing as there's nothing else to do.

The only problem, other than Arthur driving me to the edge of bankruptcy, is the light in here is barely existent now. The candle is on the verge of burning out and we can scarcely see in order to read the cards.

When it's my turn to go again I wind up landing on yet another one of Arthur's properties, quelle surprise. Not even bothering to hide his grin this time, he informs me that I owe him 250 dollars for rent.

"That's bullshit! It cannot possibly be that much. You're not reading it right." I protest.

Arthur leans towards the candle, squinting at the card he's clutching in his hand.

"I am. It's definitely two hundred and fifty. Sorry."

"Liar, you're so not sorry. Let me take a look."

I lean across to check the amount written on the card, and Arthur clutches it almost possesively to his chest, as if I might steal it from him.

"Are you saying I'm a cheater?" He says in mock-horror.

"I wasn't saying that, but if you won't let me see then maybe you are cheating." I say, trying to keep a straight face but failing miserably.

"(y/n) you've offended me." He says playfully. "I don't cheat."

"No? What about before when you took two lots of money for passing go?"

"That was an accident. I forgot I'd taken it already. Anyway I put it back."

I narrow my eyes at him accusingly. "Only because I caught you. Now let me see the card."

"Fine." He snickers. "Take a look. I've got nothing to hide."

Just as he turns the card around the flame flickers sporadically, before finally dying out completely.